Monolith by Monoprice 2x10" or 1x12" or 1x15"

n0chex

Distinguished Member
Looking at getting a new sub for my room which measures around 15ftx12ft and wanted some advise on if 2x10" subs would be better than a single 12" or even a 15" single.

The subs I have been looking at are the below

Monolith

10" THX
12" Ultra THX
15" Ultra THX

Quorra

I doubt dual 10"s would be better than the 15"

Jase

Distinguished Member
Would a pair of 12" be within your budget?

A single 15" optimally placed would likely have more depth and output than dual 10". The drawback is finding that optimal spot and hoping it's not somewhere awkward to plonk a sub. The 15" is big so bear that in mind.

Duals usually give a better spread of bass throughout the room and two smaller subs gives you a bit more flexibility for placement.

n0chex

Distinguished Member
I could fit 2x12" and could fit a 15"

I have found a Netherlands seller who ships free to UK at a very reasonable price. I know a forums advertiser is now offering shipment of these subs now also but a lot more expensive.

I was looking at the BK Monolith + but this brand also works out around the same price for the 12" Version and I can only read good reviews and was wondering if it was on par or better than a BK.

Jase

Distinguished Member
That's Monoprice but they seem to have three different prices for the same thing if you look at their other items for sale. :confused:

Forum Sponsor American Audio is offering AVF Members a 15% discount on the Monoprice Subs so that's worth bearing in mind.

n0chex

Distinguished Member
Yes exactly Monoprice as below:

10" £363
12" £582
15" £975

American Audio prices with the 15% members Discount.

10" £679
12" £849
15" £1359

AmericanRodeo

This is below our buy! So grab it if you can!

But I suspect it is another complete cock-up by the independant warehouse, just as we saw on the Monoprice EU website then finding you had to by 4, and then them all getting pulled completely.

The issue is that it will now (and for quite sometime in the future) cause them, us and any dealer problems selling in the future because these prices will be remembered and referenced.

The fact they asked us the difference between Ported and Sealed sort of says it all, when we were trying to set up the deal and confirm model details!

n0chex

Distinguished Member
I have sent them an Email asking to elaborate on their pricing

Jase

Distinguished Member

10" £363
12" £582
15" £975

10" £679
12" £849
15" £1359

Definitely need to get clarification on just exactly what they're selling. If that is the correct pricing for the various models and not another cock up then hit that buy button a bit quick!

DodgeTheViper

10" £363
12" £582
15" £975

10" £679
12" £849
15" £1359

Good luck if you order from that seller.

n0chex

Distinguished Member
I Can't see a problem with the seller 100% feedback over past 12 months and everything would be covered with eBay and PayPal not?

DodgeTheViper

Go for it. Let me know how you get on and I might jump in myself.

n0chex

Distinguished Member
Definitely need to get clarification on just exactly what they're selling. If that is the correct pricing for the various models and not another cock up then hit that buy button a bit quick!

Just waiting a reply from the questions I have sent them. As AmericanAudio has mentioned now this sets a price for reference and already 1 of the 2 10"subs SOLD

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member

10" £363
12" £582
15" £975

10" £679
12" £849
15" £1359

Those prices with American Audio are still very good if you compare to SVS PB2000 Pro in UK! Looking the data for the 12" model it shows very low distortion figures, guess that is partly cause it has to pass the THX Ultra tests. Performance looks really good for the price, roughly similar performing Arendal 1723 1V costs 1480£.

I assume you have read the Audioholics review of both 10" and 12". The latter seems to be the sweet spot. I just checked AVNirvana`s review of the 12" model. This thing digs deep (in-room response below), Todd pushed it to reference volume and it just kept sounding superb!

full-d-1516809111-png.18226

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
It does seem the monoprice subs offer what the early svs subs had, good direct to customer , value for money.

n0chex

Distinguished Member
Their prices was as I stated as below but they need to check shipping on the 2 smaller units and only ship the larger 15" version in 4 units per Order.

For the price difference I would be interested in a 15" version maybe 2 and maybe this could work if someone else in the North West wanted 1 or 2 and could collect from me.

10" £363 Inc Del
12" £582 Inc Del
15" £975 x 4 ONLY Plus 10% Discount £877 Per Sub delivered

Here is the Email I got from Karoline from Customer Service.

Hello,

So we figured out that the Ebay listing's headline wasn't correct for the subwoofers. We disabled the offers for now as we have also a shipping issue with the 15-inch one. The 15 inch with 1000 W has a price of 1,073.34 Euro can be only send in a quantity of 4. But you would get a 10% discount on it for the 4 of them.

The 12 inch with 500 W would cost 640.80 Euro. And the 10 inch with 500 W is 400.50 Euro. I also have to check if there are any shipping restrictions with the two cheaper ones.

If you are still interested in one of them, please let me know and I can further assist you.

Best regards,

Karoline
Customer Success Team
Monoprice.

Last edited:

Jase

Distinguished Member
They seem to be tying themselves in knots and going around in circles. Now they're back to more or less where they were when the Subs first appeared on the Monoprice EU website.

Be interesting to see if they come back with a minimum order of 4 for the smaller Subs as well.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Are the wood finishes vinyl wrap or real wood veneer?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio