1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monobloc power amps.

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by paiger, Nov 8, 2002.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it feasable to place a monoblock amp behind each of the speakers? Is this a viable hi-fi practice?

I am looking at upgrading and my problem with pro/power is space taken up by the seperates over an integrated amp. Are there any other solutions? Maybe have the power amp in a cupboard somewhere or do they need good airflow?

Any suggested systems?

S

2. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very acceptable practice, long interconnects/short speaker wire is the prefered way. This is exactly how active monitors work, the amp is in the speaker cabinet.

Bryston do "powerpacs" whick are essentially amps that you bolt on to the rear of your speaker.

Steve

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds the bizzniz. I assume the volume is pre-set on these amps and the overall level is controlled by the processor.

How long is too long for a phono interconnect though? My rear speaker cables are at least 6 metres long. Are you saying that a phono will suffer less over this distance?

Steve

4. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    6m should be fine, I'm no expert but there were some interesting discussions on the TAG site re interconnects v speaker cable. Interconnects are shielded and ultimately if you've got the facility you could always go XLR that's exactly what they were designed for.

Do some searches on the TAG forum http://www.tagmclaren.com/great/sounds.asp there are some really knowledgeable guys over there.

Steve

5. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This thread remind me of the difference as described to me between balanced and unbalances, or XLR and phono.

If you have balanced, then best is short speaker line and long interconnects and vice versa for unbalanced.

Have not heard both on A/B so could not confirm eitherway.

just my 2p

Rgds

Nathan

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I almost do the monoblocks behind each speaker....... i actually have big stereo amps near the speakers. Although I have short speaker runs and long interconnects, the biggest difference, i believe, is actually due to the fact that the power amps have breathing space. I generally like the idea of the power amps away from all the more sensitive electronics....... it just makes sense to me.

ad

7. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I currently use 10m balanced interconnects between my HCPC CD player (an M-Audio Delta 1010) and my Primare A30.1. I can't hear any obvious degradation from these long interconnects.

Dave48

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Very good idea....exactly what I use in my system.
    Prices vary from £250-300 for the little Marantz monoblocs,to pretty much whatever you want.

9. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Actually you can get the Marantz Monoblocks for £190 each inc delivery.

Matt

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Outstanding price!.....perhaps my local dealer should try to match it sometime,which is how I came to use a different one for all my recent purchases!