mono or stereo in ceiling,which speaker

stegalv

Prominent Member
Reaction score
at some point decided going to purchase atmos amp ,so i am going to fit some in ceiling speakers in advance.
but which ones? do they have to be atmos dedicated or will any in ceiling speaker do?
can they be mono or stereo?
i know the purist will say spend as much as possible,but as they only provide certain background sounds does it matter the cost?
i have been reading that you have to know the dispersion angles at certain frequencies,otherwise the placement is critical,is it?

I'm curious why you would ask if the speakers can be Mono or Stereo. With ATMOS as with any channel on a AV Amp, the ATMOS speakers each have their own amp.

In that context, I'm not sure what you mean by Mono and Stereo. The speakers are individual speaker, one for each channel, so I suppose that means they are mono speakers.

If you are putting speakers in the Ceiling, it is easy to envision them being in place, but the critical part is not the speakers but the wiring. Give serious consideration to how you get the wiring from the speaker to the amp.

The link provided by Roohster is valuable, but it is a forum post 18 pages long. Still worth looking at though.

Here are direct links to information at Dolby.

Dolby Atmos Audio Technology

Dolby Atmos Speaker Setup Guide

Create a Dolby Atmos Home Theater

The layout of your room will determine which ATMOS configuration is best for you. For example, if the sofa or Prime Seat is back against the rear wall, as many sofas are in a lounge, then 5.1.2 (2 Atmos ceiling speakers) is probably the best choice. However, if you have a larger dedicated Home Cinema and the Prime Seat is forward of the back wall, and more (more or less) in the center of the room, the 5.1.4 (4 Atmos celing speakers) is probably the better choice.

Here are those configurations -

Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 Speaker Setup

Dolby Atmos 5.1.4 Speaker Setup

On each page, the first Photo (1) shows the standard configuration. To see the Atmos, click the second photo (2).

Steve/bluewizard

Thank you both for the links,
I have seen some single ceiling speakers that are stereo,but now see I wouldn't need these,it seems these are only if you can't fit 2 speakers.
What's your views on what you should pay for speakers that supply the atmospheric sounds of films

By "single ceiling speakers that are stereo" you mean a single speaker that merges the left and right channels into a single speaker? Such as one might put into a small bathroom?

Right, that's not they type of speaker you need. You just need standard single purpose speakers.

I suppose you could use a single Stereo/Mono speaker in the ceiling. That would probably be of some benefit even though it would not be considered a standard Dolby approved configuration.

As to the speakers, on one hand, you buy them like any other speaker. You consider the reliability of the brand, and the general performance characteristics within a budget you can afford. The budget can run from £50 per speaker up to £500 per speakers. Though you should be able to come up with something nice on the lower end of the scale.

Since these are atmospheric speaker, they don't need to be as good as the front speakers, but neither do you need them to sound droning or distorted. There is a minimum standard of sound quality.

And, as I mentioned before, putting the speakers in is relatively easy, but, especially in a finished room, getting the wires in can be something of a pain.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom