mono or 3 channel power amp

gixer1000

hi I have a Denon x3400 and a xtz a2-300 power amp for my left and right speakers I am thinking I now want a amp to power my centre am I better off with a 3 channel amp or buying a mono amp for my centre any suggestions Wellcome I am on a budget
cheers

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
Buy another and bi-amp the centre ?

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
Bi-amping is using two amps for one speaker driving the high and low frequencies separately some but not all speaker have 4 binding posts on the back with bridging when not use to connect the two together. I think you can use one amp only, some amp's won't like it but most will be okay with one connection in and one pair of outputs used.

D

Deleted member 39241

Behringer A800, can be used in stereo or can be bridged to be used as a mono amp. Very inexpensive, lots of output, measures decently.

gixer1000

Behringer A800, can be used in stereo or can be bridged to be used as a mono amp. Very inexpensive, lots of output, measures decently.

I need something about 150 watts as my xtz has 150 watts per channel any ideas

gixer1000

Bi-amping is using two amps for one speaker driving the high and low frequencies separately some but not all speaker have 4 binding posts on the back with bridging when not use to connect the two together. I think you can use one amp only, some amp's won't like it but most will be okay with one connection in and one pair of outputs used.
So if i bought another xtz that would give me 300 watts to the centre and 150 watts to the right and left would this be ok ?

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
Bi amping just splits the amps driving each side of the crossover, so one amp is filtered to deliver only the bass the other is filtered to deliver only the treble. The result is an easy job for each amp and more ability to deliver scale and dynamics. The volume at the same setting should be very close, in theory the same. Think about a car with more cylinders at the same speed and gear no difference in road speed but a greater ability to accelerate and change speed

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
I bi amp my front left and right and this made a very worthwhile improvement, I might look at bi amping my centre as I have a spare amp, but I’ll need to see how I might be able to configure this as my centre is not set up for bi amping, so I’ll need to rewire the input to the crossover

D

Deleted member 39241

Hold on though, that isn't how bi amping would work with a Denon 3400. There is no external crossover, so the full frequency range would be input into both the high frequency and the low frequency binding posts of the speakers. The speakers internal crossover would then reject the out of range frequencies and they would be lost to heat. It is a very inefficient use of power and pretty pointless.

It doesn't matter if you have more power than you need. Can the XTX be bridged?

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
Hold on though, that isn't how bi amping would work with a Denon 3400. There is no external crossover, so the full frequency range would be input into both the high frequency and the low frequency binding posts of the speakers. The speakers internal crossover would then reject the out of range frequencies and they would be lost to heat. It is a very inefficient use of power and pretty pointless.

It doesn't matter if you have more power than you need. Can the XTX be bridged?

Passive bi-amping is where you split one pre-out to two power amplifiers and feed each with full range signal into the low frequency part of the speaker crossover and the other into the high frequency part of the speaker crossover. In practice this means you have two power supplies driving two power circuits for each speaker, the theoretical result is more headroom and a n easier load for each amp, the passive filter is not hard on a power amp. Often the sometime called fools bi amping has minimal gains but sometimes very worthwhile

In my case my Sonus Faber Extremas which are difficult loads were notably more dynamic when biamped. The same point is often incorrectly made about all amplifiers sound the same, etc etc. I also think damping factor is improved with bi-amping

Last edited:

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
I went from biampingy left, right, center with 100w amps to single channel powering but doubling the power, going from five boxes to two.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom