1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mono Blocs or 5 Channel Power Amp?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Matt Horne, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    In my continuing search for my first power amp.. I have come across the marantz range at very reasonable prices..

MA6100 THX Monobloc £180 each

or

MM9000 THX 5 Channel Poweramp £600.

Other than the price diff..(3 mono's wold cost almost the 5 channel) any reasons to go with one or the other? Anyone got either of these in their setup? I would be interested to hear what they thought!

Cheers

Matt

2. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Seriously consider rackspace, availability of electrical outlets, heat output into the room, increased cable spaghettification. If any or all are important to you (or her ?), then just go for the multichannel amp. If sound quality is paramount then consider the mono's as a first choice. No way you can listen first ?

Mike.

3. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Well the prices quoted are mail, order.. (unbeatable / qed ) and they are considerable savings over the normal price!

Matt

4. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Why not the five-channel plus two mono's for your main fronts ? Still lotso money but high-quality amps are a little wasted on rear channel signals. That way you have good 'frontage' and seven channels for es/ex if you need/want it now or whenever. In the first few days if it's obvious that the multichannel beastie is inferior to the mono's (which is unlikely) you can always go the whole hog later.

And even if you keep the all-in-one power amp, you'll have spare channels for multirooming.

HTH,
    Mike.

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    you could be surprised at the benefit of using a good amp on the rears......it can come in hand on big action sequences.

ad