Mono blocks

Reaction score
Hi folks,
Do any of you use mono blocks for your amplification?
If so do you use them for all your channels?
Also what do you use?
Another question, so many people speak about how much better stereo amps are rather than multichannel ones. If thats right then is it not true to say that using 4 good stereo amps to supply a 6.1/7.1 system would sound much better???
I really look forward to your comments
Cheers,
John.

Hi John,

I'm not convinced that - for most people - using £££ worth of amplification on anything other than the fronts is really worth the expense. Personally, I'd put the best I could afford upfront (L,R, not necessarily C :) ) and have the rest connected to something respectable.

I do have a pair of monoblocks myself - Denon POA4400, >10yo - and I love them. But even if I could source another six I wouldn't bother, much as I'd love the look of them in a stack :eek:

Mike.

John

I do use mono-blocks all the way around. 3 x Tag 250mr for the front and 4 x Tag 125m for the rear.
Is it worth it? Personally for me I think so, it offers not only the best potential for dynamics and seperation but is also the most flexible, if not exactly kind on the real estate it requires.
The making or breaking of "most" multi-channel amps will be the load you place upon them.

Steven

I use Bryston, a stereo power for the front speakers, 4B ST, plus 3 monoblocks for the rest, Powerpac 120s...

My experience is that you get much better surround with matching powers, as well as speakers, even though they dont have to be the same, particularlly you need less power for the surround speakers... :smoke:

Originally posted by John wilks
Hi folks,
Do any of you use mono blocks for your amplification?
If so do you use them for all your channels?
Also what do you use?
Another question, so many people speak about how much better stereo amps are rather than multichannel ones. If thats right then is it not true to say that using 4 good stereo amps to supply a 6.1/7.1 system would sound much better???
I really look forward to your comments
Cheers,
John.

Yes...and have done for some years,even to the point of triamped active speakers before my current multichannel system which luckily left me with the right number of extra amps.

I use Krell KMAs,and have used KSA's also,for the power,control and delivery,and cost also plays a part(being a lot less than upgrading to the current FPB series,and a lot better soundwise than the S series Krells)

Stereo amps or monoblocs are not necessarily better than multichannel amps,as a well designed and properly specced multichannel amps will perform very well indeed....Bryston and Chord are obvious examples there.

The problem with a number of cheaper multichannel amps comes in the power supply,with smaller transformers and capacitors resulting in less room for peak outputs with all channels loaded.

I'm not sure what Steve.EX's view on this would be,but I certainly found Tag's mono amps to be much better than their multichannel ones,and I know a lot of people who have expressed similar views.....I was very surprised to find a well reviewed 100x5 channel amp running out of steam very quickly into B&W 805s.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom