1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mono block suggestion help please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by BLACK_MAGIC, Sep 7, 2003.

1. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The set up i have currentley at the moment is:

kef 203's driven by a chord spm 1200c (mains)

kef 202c biamped with a musical fidelity a3.2 power amp (centre)

Kef 201's driven by a chord spm 600 (rears)

My brother wants the mf a3.2 power amp which im going to give him after I find a suitable replacement.

Ive decided I want (for now) to go for a reasonable quality mono block to drive the centre. I would have loved a chord mono block but it seems they dont actually make one:(. Its a shame because the sound that chord makes with the kef's imo is probably about as best as it gets (with my budget).

I would like to spend no more really then £1500, but like I said I would like a good mono block. I was wondering if any of you could suggest maybe 1 or 2 that are worth auditioning that are atleast up to chords standard and similar in sound (if possible).
    I would also rather a mono block that is still in production.

Thanks to all those that help.

2. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're currently biamping your centre, why not get a stereo Chord and continue biamping? Or is cost too much of an issue in that case (Chord always = very expensive in my book)?

3. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I could biamp with another chord spm 600 but the cheapest I could get that would be for £1850. I just dont think its really worth spending the extra biamping the centre. If i can save a bit by going with a good mono block i will:) I was hoping that the sound quality of a £1500 mono block would be close to biamping with a £1850 amp. Also if the mono retails at around £1500 i would probably get it for around £1200 (from my local hifi dealer) giving me a saving of of over £600 which i should really start thinking about buying food with for the wife and kid. They have been kinda neglected in the last few months:)

4. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The new Cyrus Mono X will be around that price point (maybe a little less) and is a nice little runner, though I'd imagine the sound would be different to Chord (I've never heard Chord amps so can't comment on them). I'd imagine a London dealer somewhere would carry both brands and could give you some help BM.

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Stick with the Chord amps you have,and maybe look at buying an extra one for the centre channel,possibly a used or ex-dem model.
    IMHO,the Chords are definitely better than the Cyrus amps.
    There's also the issue of different sound qualities between amps to consider,although you have been using an MF power amp for the centre.

6. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Chord DOES make mono blocks! Model #s are SPM 1400E and SPM 6000. Both are VERY expensive though...

7. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I would (if you cannot go Chord) try for second hand Musical fidelty 300 or 308 stereo power amps or a Tag 250mr.

Regards

Steven.

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Good point,Steve...the Tags are being offloaded by some dealers who got a bit worried about Tag's long term review(Sevenoaks HiFi I think had a few)....it's an OK pwer amp,nothing special,but better than their earlier offerings....not in the Chord league though.

9. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    For the record Arcam is introducing the P1 monoblock power amplifier at the end of this month. It is based on the P7 topology and is a further step forward - it is clearly an outstandingly transparent and powerful amplifier. Retail price in the UK is expected to be £1099.

HTH,

John Dawson (Arcam)

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I would stick with Chord here, don't ruin it for a sake of a few pounds

11. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Looks like the best option is really gonna have to be going for another chord spm600 for the centre.
    Its just getting harder and harder trying to justify it all to the missus. Funnily enough there doesn't seem to be any problem when shoe and handbag shopping comes up as a unnecessary expense:(