Monkeys Home Cinema Room

Discussion in 'Members DIY Home Cinema Showcases' started by monkeyleader, Jan 2, 2007.

1. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    So I thought it was time to put some detials down regarding my attempts at a cinema / gaming room.

I started off a good few years ago with a Toshhiba 40" Rear Projection. Although it was quite expensive at the time it has stood the test of time and the PQ on this, even after +5 years is still spectacular. It has gotten many many hours of use as this for about 4 years was my main screen for movies / gaming !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Connected to this I have Toshiba DVD player, Sky+ and for music the Slimp3 player. This room however is now classed as my second room as from the start of 2006 I decided to dedicate one of my spare rooms.

I already had my office in this room (I work quite a lot from home) and I was initially worried about the throw distance for a projector (the room itself is only around 13ft at its longest) I already have a large office desk which mean t I was loosing around 4ft so the viewing distance was down to around 9ft or so. Then I started to hear some people on the forums talk about their rooms and noticed their rooms were around the same size.

I decided in the end to go for the Sanyo Z4 projector which I have to admit is an absolute belter. Okay it's not 1080p but still it's just fantastic and even with a short throw distance I can get a massive image (in fact it could go bigger if I room was bigger)

Another stipulation from taking this spare room for cinema use was that I kept to a minimum the amount of damage I did to the walls / roof as through time we would hope to turn this room back into a bedroom (more on that later) So my next challenge was to get something for the PJ and a screen that wouldnt damage the roof.

The screen I ended up going with was a pull up one which I picked up from Richer Sounds - it was the last of their stock and he did me a deal and I got it for about £80.

[​IMG]

The nice thing about the screen is that when the cinmea room isn't in use it can be let down - there is a window behind this so it's nice to let in light from time to time. On the subject of the window there is a black out blind as the sun during the summer shines right through the window - the blind works a treat and even in the middle of the afternoon on a summers day the room is pitch black.

So then the challenge of getting something for the PJ as it needed to be raised up about a foot or so. My wife actually came across the little shelf unit shown below and this works a treat, doubling up as storage for some games.

[​IMG]

For the speakers I have a Set of Kef 1005s although at some point this year I will be considering upgrading these as I havn't been totally impressed with the sound, especially the boom factor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shown below is the top shelf of the AVRack - as I said before I work from home and this is my Cisco IP Phone which also doubles as a video conference set (pretty cool) along with Sky HD. Also in the rack (photos at a later date) is the Nintendo Wii, XB360 and a Denon AVR1906. Just retired from this rack was a modded XB360 as I have just connected my PC to the PJ and AMP (using external 7.1 sound card) and am running Meedio.

[​IMG]

I've also included a few shots of the PJ in action although I never think these do justice.

Star Wars in HD (from Sky+)

[​IMG]

And then Troy, again in HD

[​IMG]

So plans for 2007?

So I'm hoping to go down today and order a 2 seater leather recliner - I wasn't even in the market for one of these until boxing day when I finally sat in an electric one. Yes it's going to look big in the room, but who cares when it's that comfortable. This is the one I think I'm going to get.

Second is some movie/game posters for the room - my biggest complaint about my room during 2006 was that it didn't feel like a movie / gaming room, just a room with a big screen. My first addition was this - one of my all time movie favourites :)

Third, and this is later in the year will be a new set of speakers, a proper grown up set :)

Finally and this is something more for the wife we may go for an LCD for downstairs. As this room is no longer the main cinema room she would like things to look a little tidier and with an LCD and proper shelf unit we could free up a lot more space down there.

Also as I said earlier we also would like at some point to build a larger fully dedicated cinema / gaming room. The plan would be to knock down our current garage and rebuild it from scratch. This however is working out a tad more expensive than we thought so instead I've been given the green light from the wife (who actually loves it almost as much as me) to put more effort into the current room.

Overall I'm very very pleased - perhpas the seating could be a little bit further back from the screen which with a bit of jigsaw action on my desk could be achieved but still it's a fantastic room (well I think so anyhows) I sometimes sit there watching a movie or getting some XBL action on the big screeen and have to pinch myself that my dream of many many years is finally starting to take shape :)

Comments / Questions / Advice most welcome and I will of course keep this thread up to date as I progress.

thanks,

Nigel

2. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Very nice setup.

I agree that the KEFs would be better replaced - For those that have them, they are a great "LITTLE" speaker, But look for a range with 6.5 or 8 inch mids - let the vocals sing out.....

Like the idea of the new sofa - Food for thought - Does it NEED to be electric recline? Is the price differance so close its worth it - just another perspective........

If you go with a dedicated room then think dark colours - Makes the existing picture so much more vivid.

If you get the sofa do tell where you got it from...........Power of advertising........Over the festive break I have almost been talked into buying a new sofa - clever people, the time of year I sit and watch most TV, and realise that my old sofa is not really comfortable............

I like the screen shots, a few more ??? and of your MEEDIO setup, I use that as well...........

3. John 1987

John 1987

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    Great looking room, Star Wars looks stunning. :thumbsup:

4. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Quick Update - just got the sofa, from Furniture Land. £1100 including delivery and 5 year leather / parts full protection :) I looked at manual vrs electric and the difference is about £400 however with manual you only really have a few positions, whereas with the electric you can have a different position all the way from not reclined (ie its still a seat) to fully reclined (ie a bed) Should be here in about 4 weeks.

I'll get some more screen shots later this week along with shots of Meedio.

thanks,

Nige

5. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    What size is the room?

6. Mac User

Mac User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Great setup m8t..

7. thekingbeyond

thekingbeyond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    nice:thumbsup:

8. kdog

kdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Great set up mate :smashin:

9. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    13x6.5ft

10. Duncan G

Duncan G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Second is some movie/game posters for the room - my biggest complaint about my room during 2006 was that it didn't feel like a movie / gaming room, just a room with a big screen. My first addition was this - one of my all time movie favourites :)

Get original movie posters here.

http://www.mpag.co.uk/

They are a good investment as they will go up in value.

11. evade

evade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Looking good mate, don't forget to update your photos for us nosey buggers :D

12. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    So the posters have arrived, just awaiting the frames which should hopefully be here by the weekend. The new sofa (2 seater recliner) comes tomorrow so expect some pictures of that. For now here are two that will be going up as well

Goodfellas Cell (from play.com)

[​IMG]

The King (signed photo)

[​IMG]

13. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
  14. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
  15. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    New leather (electric) recliner arrives

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm well chuffed

16. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    New Posters up

King Kong

[​IMG]

Goodfellas

[​IMG]

The Dark Side

[​IMG]

Godfather

[​IMG]

Rest of the pictures can be seen here

17. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    What version is in the Pearl Harbour box?