1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monkey Trousers

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by TonyA, May 21, 2005.

1. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Did anyone see Monkey Trousers on on ITV on Friday night?

What total and utter tripe!

How can so many talented people be put into a project like that, to come up with something that is so totally unfunny.

I see its on for 6 weeks - lets hope it improves.

2. El_JimBob

El_JimBob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We switched on completely by accident and then wished we hadn't - so we quickly flicked over to CH4 to laugh at Jimmy Carr's stupid gormless face, and the b*****d didn't even have the common decency to be on at the time to relieve our distress at finding out how ****some Monkey Trousers actually was.

So those rumours about Coogan and Thomson having 'lost it' and Vic and Bob's best being waaaaay behind them are sadly materialising into truth....

3. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Maybe it's the curse of ITV comedy striking again. I can't remember the last time there was a decent ITV comedy on tv. If monkey trousers was any good it would be on the BBC or channel 4.

4. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    It's true - ITV and comedy aren't exactly two words that are normally uttered in the same sentence.

This was not always the case - I mean in the 70's they had; On the Busses, Rising Damp, Man About the House, George and Mildred, Love Thigh Neighbour, Benny Hill, Stanley Baxter etc...

All top rated shows in their time (although several not so politically correct these days!).

They seemed to lose their way with comedy during the 80's (although Spitting Image is not included in that statement!) and its rapidly gone down hill since.

The only thing of note over the last few years has been "The Sketch Show", which had its moments, but was not always consistent.

The best comedy is now normally found on BBC2/BBC3, and Channel 4 - where the program makers are often willing to take a chance on something a little different e.g. Spaced, Bo Selecta, Little Britain etc...

If it wasn't for Corrie (which in retrospect, is probably ITV's most successful comedy - there are some wonderful comedic moments in it - and not all of them intentional!), I wouldn't watch ITV at all, as its output offers me no entertainment value.

5. bigblueboy

bigblueboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Must agree, total garbage

6. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Wasn't very keen on Monkey Trousers - I hadn't realised until it was too late quite how strong an influence Messrs Reeves and Mortimer had had on it. (I've never understood the appeal of those two).

There was the odd good laugh, though. I loved the Alastair McGowan/Ronni Ancona thing of Footballers' Wives as done in the 1950s. Very nicely observed.

7. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Yes, I agree with that - the only gem in the program - the only other thing that made me laugh was veteran actress Liz Smith doing an "advert" for some face cream, saying that she was only 35.

The rest of the show was total pants.