Monk

A

Azrikam

Watched the 2-hour premiere of this on BBC2 and I was pleasantly surprised. Pretty good show. Tony Shalhoub is great.

Very "Sherlock Holmes" without being too derivative. Definitely one to check out if you're at all into crime drama. (but it's pretty funny too)

I just caught the last half hour. Which was not too bad but I thought they overplayed the obsessive compulsive disorder a little bit.
To say it was a premier I saw little, well in fact no advertising for it and it was hidden away on BBC 2 on a Saturday afternoon. I though they would have been better showing it on BBC 1 in the evening instead of the usual tat.

PS I thought on echoes, the last one you heard was the direction of the original sound?

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Tony Shalhoub (see Big Night!), and I would have never known Monk was on if it wasn't for a post on the DigitalSpy forums. One of the few drawbacks of owning a TiVo, I guess.

PS I thought on echoes, the last one you heard was the direction of the original sound?

Really? I would think it would be random, based on your location. Surely someone standing on one side of the grand canyon would hear a different set of echoes than someone on the other side. Or maybe I'm completely wrong. Course, Physics was never my strong suit.

Originally posted by Azrikam

Really? I would think it would be random, based on your location. Surely someone standing on one side of the grand canyon would hear a different set of echoes than someone on the other side. Or maybe I'm completely wrong. Course, Physics was never my strong suit.
Maybe I have been reading to many detective novels but that’s what I heard. I think I remember something maybe a post even that you never hear a duck quacking echo.:confused:

Perhaps the BBC should do a BBC1+an hour and a BBC2+an hour rather than all those regional identical stations.:rolleyes:

Yeah, and BBC doesn't appear to be repeating the first show in the near future. I'm glad I caught it because I'm really fickle these days, and won't watch a drama out of sequence. (which is why I still haven't seen Band of Brothers yet)

I saw it tonight for the first time from the start, and the main story was good but I though they went over the top with some of the stuff. Instead of Monk coming of as a sympathetic person who has metal problems they turned his affliction into a farce.
The bit on the Ferris wheel was really stupid he is suppose to have brilliant perception yet: he fathomed how to work the Ferris wheel first go (4 buttons and an lever) yet forgets 20 seconds later and manages to pull the great big lever off.:clown:

Yeah, it's sometimes goofy, but I think Shalhoub manages to pull it off. The show can shift gears from comedy to drama pretty well.

This episode was a little weak, however. The others have been better. Did like the jelly bean thing, though.

I like how the show is obviously inspired by Sherlock Holmes (complete with the disbelieving police inspector) without being a complete ripoff.

Plus, the show is chock-full of Canadian actors! I guess they film it North of the border. Course, that's only a plus if you recognize bit-part actors from CBC dramas. :D

I will give it an other go if I remember, it is on at a very bad time.

I remember the Captain (Ted Livine) from Crime Story.

One thing the get mixed up with is obessive-complusive disorder and a person who has phobias

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom