1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitoring the recording off Sky+

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by poppyfield, Jan 28, 2004.

1. poppyfield

poppyfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to buy the Philps DVDR75 (or the Panasonic E50, if I can get my hands on one) and wonder whether anyone is able to advise me whether I will be able to monitor my recordings with my setup.

My plasma does not have Scart; I have my DVD player connected to my plasma via Component. I have both my Sky+ box and PS2 connected to my plasma using S-Video, via my Yamaha Processor (which does the S-Video switching).

Can the Philips (and the Panasonic) output via S-Video, whilst accepting an RGB input from the Sky+ box on the Scart. And similarly does the Sky+ box output on the S-video whilst also outputting via the Scart

I would intend to connect Sky+ to the DVD Recorder using Scart RGB and the DVD Recorder to the Yamaha using S-Video and hence to the plasma. Does this sound feasible and will I be able to monitor what is being recorded onto the DVD recorder through the S-Video connector.

To be clear, I have no desire to use the DVDR for watching DVDs nor recording from live, it will simply be to archive Sky+ recordings.

Any views appreciated or anyone with similar setup who can confirm it works.

2. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    You could always consider the Toshiba DR1 which has component out with PAL/NTSC progressive scan and swap your existing DVD player. You can connect the S-Vid out from Sky+ to the AV2 of the DR1. Only drawback is no RGB input. I use mine for archiving from Sky+.

The Sky+ box outputs S-Video, RGB from TV scart and composite from VCR scart all at the same time.

3. poppyfield

poppyfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Big RD, thanks for that, but I am reluctant to just discard my new Sony DVD player as I have only had it about a month and I like it a lot. It is for this reason that I am going for the cheapest option on the DVDR front.

Good to hear that the Sky+ offers the functionality I need.

4. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    No problem. I would go for the Panny then. I used to be a fan of +R/RW but have moved to RAM and -R/RW and really like it. There's also a lot of support for the E50 in these forums.

5. poppyfield

poppyfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So having used both systems, on what basis did you decide that -R/RW is preferable to the Philips +R/RW.

6. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless you have a PC to edit your recordings I would recommend the Tosh XS30.

7. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Just some of the issues people had with the earlier models. Also the -R discs are far easier and cheaper to buy. The RAM offers excellent editing abilities. I've also ordred a new Pioneer 107 DVD writer for my PC to replace my old +R/RW drive.