monitor to connect to Dell Vostro laptop and how to set it up.

tonyrees687

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Working from home and using a laptop. So what I would like to do is use the laptop but have another screen to use, but would like the other screen to be used as an extension to the laptop. So I could have my main screen and then move my mouse to another screen which would be a different tab and back and forth ,is this possible.
cheers all

yes this is possible on every laptop.

Usually via a HDMI or a Displayport socket on modern laptops (some have both) . Google HDMI if your unsure what they look like and then check the laptop. HDMI is the most common and is the same connection as used on a TV. Almost all monitors sold have a HDMI connection so it your laptop also has one your good to go.

this might help

What you describe is the default behaviour. And it's possible to connect an external display to almost every laptop.

The actual cable and possibly other hardware you'd need to connect the two will depend on the specific model of laptop you have and the model of the screen if you've bought that already.

Thank you
Another thing if you may. So I have my program running on the laptop which I use all the time and need to keep it on the laptop. The other screen would be just an internet screen for websites. So would my mouse move between the 2 screens and everything stay live. Sorry for the question but no pc knowledge at all

Last edited:
So would my mouse move between the 2 screens and everything stay live.

There's a huge range of application behaviours out there, but generally yes.

If you have two applications running on your current screen and they behave as you'd like in terms of switching between them and staying live, then moving one of them to a second screen won't change anything.

There's a huge range of application behaviours out there, but generally yes.

If you have two applications running on your current screen and they behave as you'd like in terms of switching between them and staying live, then moving one of them to a second screen won't change anything.
Thankyou @EndlessWaves very helpful. Will might be back

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom