monitor suggestions / ramble

chezybezy

Hi all,
It’s been a while but thought I would turn to you guys for a balanced honest opinion. I am looking for advice r.e. monitor upgrade. My initial aim was to hit the sweet spot for my rig which I was lead to believe was 22” 1080p. However am considering if I should go for 1440p 24inch (assuming I could afford them). Normally id go for a gaming monitor but most of my gaming is console now-a-days (sorry!) so my pc is mainly used for older(gog.com) or pc exclusive titles and productivity stuff so feel it would be best to grab something more text focused than gaming orientated? Now-a-days I find myself messing around with code or producing documents and using the browser more than gaming when I use my pc.

Ideally I would like to maintain the dual monitor set up as ive read that ultrawide’s are not as easy to use with program in window mode etc. I was considering 22 then realised one of my current is this so 24inch would make more sense however I don’t know if these would be too big given how close I am or if this would cause a problem with my rig.

The current pc was a decent upgrade (for me) a few years back at a great price - normally id self-build but it’s been a long time and this was cheaper. The rig copes with everything I (currently) need but I realise things change.

My set up is dual monitors and I sit roughly 25 to 28 inch from the primary monitor – a combination of the stand preventing a flush push against the wall and a slim desk. The second monitor is slightly angled to the side. The primary is a Samsung T220 Widescreen LCD TFT Monitor, 2ms 20000:1 monitor and the secondary is an Acer AL1916. One is hooked up with a DisplayPort to VGA cable, the other a DVI to HDMI Adaptor Cable.

Rig:
HP Omen prebuild – 870-204na (if the tag is to be believed)
Win10
i5 7400 quad @3GHz.
HP 82F1 mobo (stock)
8GB ram(stock 2x4gb)
Radeon RX 480 4GB(stock)

I planned to grab an Occy Rift when they were cheap as technically this could handle it mainly for Star Trek Bridge crew however I understand that if I wanted the full experience I would need to upgrade the gfx card. The upgrade will be further down the line (I might grab an occy rift if one is cheap enough beforehand) but this train of thought has me considering if I should consider 1440p monitors instead as most of us hold onto monitors longer than gfx cards.

My research suggests that if I only use the 1440p monitors for productivity stuff the card would be able to handle the dual monitor set up and it’s only when gaming this would present a problem? I have heard that they also present an issue with older games and software due to not outputting at 1080p – is this true?

So if anyone has any ideas / thoughts on the above I would be grateful to hear them. Any suggestions on monitors would also be greatly received. Initially I was looking at 22 1080p monitors around £100 – £140 mark purchasing 1 now and 1 later but understand the 24 inch and or 1440p would change things drastically. So what would you do with my current setup monitor wise?

many thanks and sorry its long!

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I presume you're talking about 16:9 displays here? The trouble with using TV-style notation that only lists the vertical resolution is that monitors come in a range of shapes, unlike TVs. FHD and QHD are more unambiguous shorthand for the 16:9 resolutions, and shorter to write too.

The reference size for application design for windows is 96dpi, which is 23" at 1920x1080 or 31" for 2560x1440. Whether that's the sweet spot for you depends on your viewing distance. 60-70cm is average or a little longer, so I'd cautious about considering a higher than standard dpi unless you want to play around with a HighDPI/Retina/Scaling (in which 3840x2160 is a better choice than 2560x1440 at ~24").

How do you feel about your current 22" 1680x1050 monitor. Is small text comfortably readable in small amounts? The equivalent sizing of current monitor for 1920x1080 pixels is 24.5"

Wider screens lose the ability to dock windows to the inside of the two screens, they have the same two snap points as any other single screen.

1920x1080 was never a very common computer resolution, the non-widescreen standard was 1280x1024/1600x1200 and then the first 5-10 years of widescreens were 1680x1050 and 1920x1200.

You might see the odd low-effort console port stuck at 1920x1080 but it isn't any sort of special resolution for PC games - by the time HDTV/Streaming came around and monitor panels started going to 1920x1080 games had become flexible in their resolution handling. And the graphics card can always scale up the picture if the game doesn't want to output at high resolution. Compatibility won't be an issue.

The performance limitation is rendering all the complicated real time 3D graphics in a game rather than outputting the resolution, so it doesn't affect other programs.

An RX 480 is likely to be more limited by ports than GPU in terms of output resolution , but for two monitors it's likely to be able to handle up to 3840x2160 for both of them.

Top Bottom