monitor speakers for amp plz hekp

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by loco bro, Aug 9, 2013.

1. loco bro

loco bro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI guys
    I have been using my stereo Speakers with my Av receiver and my stereo speakers are no longer good so
    I wanted to buy a good pair of monitor speakers and hook them up via rca cables to my amp

but I was told not to buy monitor speakers if there powered it would be better to go a stereo speakers if hooking them up to an amp
    my amp has rca connections
    and supports 120 wtts per channel most monitor speakers I have seen are 140 wtts per channel so does that mean it would blow the amp
    I don't really want to buy a new amp or buy stereo speakers as I will be mixing recording rap music and stereo speakers wont do well for me

what kind of speakers should I get ??
    thank you all

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,167
    Monitor speakers implies Active Studio Monitors, "Active" meaning the speaker have their own built-in amp. Why would you waste the amps existing in your amplifier?

So, you plan is to use the existing amp, merely as a Pre-Amp for Active speakers? Can you confirm that this is indeed your plan?

But, be clear, for this to work, you MUST use the Pre-Amp outputs from the Amp, not Tape Out, or Record Out, or similar. You existing amp must specifically have Pre-Amp outputs. The alternative is for the Active Speaker to have their own Remote Volume Control.

Here is a nice long thread discussing the pros and cons of Active vs Passive speaker -

http://www.avforums.com/forums/speakers/1694380-passives-v-actives.html

Each has its advantages and disadvantages, and to some extent, as with all things, what you get depends on your budget.

So, what is your budget?

What amp and other equipment do you have now? (brand and model)

What is your content source? Meaning, how are you playing content, from a computer, Disks (CD, DVD, BluRay), Vinyl, etc...?

Depending on what your existing amp is, combined with your budget, will determine whether Active or Passive is best for you.

Keep in mind that while Active speakers, or studio monitors, have their advantages, a VAST majority of speakers on the market and some of the best speakers in the world, are passive speakers.

It is more important for the speaker to fit the circumstances than it is for it to be active or passive.

Just a thought.

Steve/bluewizard

3. loco bro

loco bro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi BlueWizard

Thank you for the detailed reply

yes that is my plan but will have to check if my amp has pre outs

I have 2 technics turntables
    Mixer (old )
    AKIA DPS 24 multi track recorder
    A CD Payer/recorder
    ALL running through a Kenwod AV receiver (old)

I am slowly trying to upgrade my gear

Even though most DJ mixers seem to have a fair few more inputs for the gear to run though I still not sure if it would be enough for my gear to have it set up as I want it

so this is way I want to run it all through the amp because know there is more then enough inputs and I know it works as I want it to

my current set up is like so

2 turntables to into SSL then line on mixer (via rca that's standard )

multi track recorder into the master line input on back of mixer to channel 1 and 2 on Multi tack via rca cables

then I have another rca cable running from master out on multi track to amp -Aux now I have sound that runs though my multi track
    so now can edit mix live

and a rca going from a cd recorder to cd input on amp

so can record the mix off the MT hard disk

that's the way I have set it up and it works well for me

need a new pair of speakers badly though

and active speakers seem to have more inputs that I might be able to use later on with new mixer ( more future proof )

where as passive seem to have the terminal inputs only (old)

so that is the reason why I want active so I don't have to buy now and upgrade again for a while

any advice ??

I prob should go passive though

any advice on a good sounding pair of passive speakers that's good for rap music recording mixing ?

or any kind of active speakers that may fit my needs ?

thanks