Monitor Silver c150 or c350 for Silver 100

Mainah904

Standard Member
Reaction score
I recently upgraded my Paradigm Millenia speakers (townhouse living restricted my selections) to some Monitor Silver 100 (6g) bookshelf speakers while the good deals could be had, since I am moving into a new house this fall. They are impressive for their size. Before the MilleniaOne speakers, I had Paradigm Titans, and these easily blow my old Paradigm Titans away.

The problem I am having is that I cannot decide between the Silver c150 and c350 center channels. My viewing is 70/30 Home Theater/Music. I currently have a Denon AVR-S710W, but will upgrade to a Denon x3700h later this year when I move in.

I am in the unique position of having both center channels in my living room to demo, but can only turn it up when both neighbors are gone. I set the c350 as my left channel, and the c150 as my right channel, and then turned on music in stereo mode only. My initial impression is that the c150 has the edge at lower volume, but as I start to turn it up (which I have not had much opportunity to do yet), the c350 starts to pull ahead. I re-ran Audessy and got that all configured for both. I have both set to Large speakers, with the crossover set at 80Hz.

The other problem is that the c350 is HUGE. I can fit the c150 in my current entertainment center, but will have to build a new one to accommodate the larger center and larger TV this fall.

Has anyone else done side by side comparisons for these? Am I missing something? Any other tweaks I should make? My next step is a toggle switch to set both up as center, but be able to flip between them at the push of a button to do easy back to back testing.

The same question was asked several time, and conclusion is only one. c350 is so much better speaker, that even if some sacrifice needed (extra cost or work to accommodate it due to size) it is well worth it.

The same question was asked several time, and conclusion is only one. c350 is so much better speaker, that even if some sacrifice needed (extra cost or work to accommodate it due to size) it is well worth it.
Another vote for the C350 (as a current owner). I can indeed confirm that it is indeed the "one to go for" assuming it can be accomodated as per the above.

Well, I picked up a speaker selector switch and did a repeated back to back test of the c150 and c350 when listening to multi channel music, followed by a couple of movies. My kids were here, and both previously preferred the c150 because of its size, so I had them participate in this test.

I had them cover their eyes and just listen, as I did. We all unanimously preferred the c350. They were surprised that they liked the 350 so much. I expected to prefer it, but wasn't able to appreciate the difference in audio without the A/B test. It was definitely worth the purchase of the switch.

The unintended consequence was that it has me questioning the Silver 100s that I have (with 50 more days in my return window), and dreaming of the Silver 300s.

So my next question is this: will the 300 7g be ok with the c350 center, assuming I couldn't find Silver 300 6g anywhere? Or will the c350 be enough with the additional mid-range speaker, knowing I'll have everything paired with two subs? I like the satin white finish, which makes it harder to find. I refuse to pay full price so I would have to wait if buying the 300 7g, but my OCD would prefer the 300 6g so they all match exactly.

The unintended consequence was that it has me questioning the Silver 100s that I have (with 50 more days in my return window), and dreaming of the Silver 300s.
Exactly the same dilemma I found myself in! I had the 100's paired with the C350. I deliberated for a while. Luckily (for me!), following the initial release of the 7G silvers, I was able to secure a brand new set of 6g 300's from Richersounds - at a good discount - complete with 5yr warranty. I would therefore strongly recommend you "scratch that itch" and try and get a set. I was also fortunate that my chosen colour was black oak and appreciate that securing a set of satin white 6g's isn't going to be easy!

Having the matching 3 way drivers across the LCR makes for a seemless front stage too. I can't say definitively if 7g 300's will be a sonic match... but logic would tell me they'd be close. (Maybe call or email Monitor Audio and ask them. If anyone would know they would surely 😉)

Just to "wet your appetite" further. Here's my front stage. Note the centre is now much higher (tweeters are now all at same height) as this is am old pic.

received_1035176903910584.jpeg

P.S I kept the (Very good in their own right) Silver 100's for the bedroom system too!

Thanks for stating the obvious, suggesting I contact Monitor Audio. I don't mean that sarcastically, since I'm so used to going to forums, and it really should have occurred to me to go to the source for that one! I've emailed them to get their input. If anyone comes across a pair of Silver 300s 6g for sale in the States, let me know!! I'll appreciate it (even if my wallet won't).

The frustrating part is that I won't be able to fully appreciate any of this new setup until this fall, when I move into my house (it's currently being built). When does Monitor usually run sales? I have time on my side, since I could always keep the c350, and return the 100s, waiting for a sale on the new 300s. Not shopped for them before, I don't know how frequently they are discounted.

Thanks for stating the obvious, suggesting I contact Monitor Audio. I don't mean that sarcastically, since I'm so used to going to forums, and it really should have occurred to me to go to the source for that one! I've emailed them to get their input. If anyone comes across a pair of Silver 300s 6g for sale in the States, let me know!! I'll appreciate it (even if my wallet won't).
No sarcasm detected! 😊👍🏼🤣

Re your search. I've found these 300's:

I'd bee surprised if you didn't get a sizable discount as the price shown is RRP.

I'd bee surprised if you didn't get a sizable discount as the price shown is RRP.
But think of the shipping cost to Florida ;) :D

Yes, sadly, I live in the Southern US, and they don't ship here. Any volunteers?? 🤣

But think of the shipping cost to Florida;)
🤣🤣🤣 See my eagerness to help. Has been surpassed by my stupidity in not checking @Mainah904 location...

Excuse me while I sit in the corner, shamefully adorning the AVF dunce hat! 🤣

I may have a lead on some 6g Silver 300s here stateside. If I am able to secure those, the 100s will be going back for sure. Considering just over a week ago I went from a 4" driver on the Paradigms to an 8" driver on the 100s, now I'm looking to upgrade to the 300s. This escalated quickly.

That said, the room they will be in is 18' wide and 29' long (14' of it is considered living room before it transitions to kitchen), so the couch will be about 10'-11' away from the TV and speakers. I have always wanted a nice set of towers, so I'm hoping to skip the incremental step and avoid upgrading in a couple of years. It's hard to demo speakers in my current location since I can't really turn it up too much, and so these will get a basic test and then back in the box until August.

It's going to be a long 7 months.

Having the matching 3 way drivers across the LCR makes for a seemless front stage too. I can't say definitively if 7g 300's will be a sonic match..

I think people get too hung on on integration between L+R and center. If you want perfect integration, then sure you can get it if you use the 300 + 350 and ensure there is nothing else that can sonically impact the sound (ie walls, AV cabinet, coffee table, sub crossover frequency etc) and we all know that except for perfectly setup dedicated cinema rooms - that never happens in practice.

250 and 350 are slightly different as are the 6G vs 7G in general. 150 vs 350 is different as well. I find with good setup then you can get good integration with any of these - even 150 vs 300. An AV cabinet will have a greater effect because of resonance. Positioning the center speaker so is not flush with the front of the cabinet can have a significant effect as well.

Difference in axis angle to listener will have an effect as well as tonality changes between perfect on axis toward off axis with the tweeter (despite that all of the silver range seem to have quite a smooth transition from on to off axis).

I actually use 150 with my 300 because placement of it was much more practical than either the 350 or 250 and I have excellent integration because of taking care with AV setup, placement, axis angel etc and find that the even the 150 under these circumstance is an excellent center. I have no issues with the lobing that people claim is a major problem with typical woofer-tweeter-woofer center speaker designs. Certainly it can be a measurable problem with a single microphone in an anechoic room, but not so much in a typically reflective living room with two ears and some grey mush involved.

So, I think any of these center speakers will be good. Choose whatever will work best for the room. I have 300s for my L+R because I use alone for hifi as well. For cinema use with 80Hz cross over and a sub, even the tiny silver 50 are actually pretty decent and even they surprisingly good bass on them for their size - which is true of all of this range. Sure the 250/350 are better speakers - if you can accommodate them to get the best out of them.

I do have a quick question for anyone that wants to weigh in. I have included an image of the downstairs where the speakers will be set up. In the image, the red boxes are where the speakers will roughly be placed (the two rear speakers will be in-wall, likely also from Monitor Audio, since they use back-boxes). The purple box will be the TV stand/wall unit, and the green box is where the couch will go. I will have an area rug in the gathering room, and ultimately some art on a wall or two, but other than that, there will be minimal room treatments. Ceiling height will be 9'.

Would the Silver 100s be sufficient here, paired with the c350? Or am I on the right path, considering the Silver 300s? I am still waiting to hear back from Monitor Audio about mixing the 6g and 7g.

(I originally posted in the wrong thread, and Jester was already helpful with some input!)

Attachments

• Speaker_Seating_Placement.jpg
    Speaker_Seating_Placement.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 75
I think people get too hung on on integration between L+R and center. If you want perfect integration, then sure you can get it if you use the 300 + 350 and ensure there is nothing else that can sonically impact the sound (ie walls, AV cabinet, coffee table, sub crossover frequency etc) and we all know that except for perfectly setup dedicated cinema rooms - that never happens in practice.

250 and 350 are slightly different as are the 6G vs 7G in general. 150 vs 350 is different as well. I find with good setup then you can get good integration with any of these - even 150 vs 300. An AV cabinet will have a greater effect because of resonance. Positioning the center speaker so is not flush with the front of the cabinet can have a significant effect as well.

Difference in axis angle to listener will have an effect as well as tonality changes between perfect on axis toward off axis with the tweeter (despite that all of the silver range seem to have quite a smooth transition from on to off axis).

I actually use 150 with my 300 because placement of it was much more practical than either the 350 or 250 and I have excellent integration because of taking care with AV setup, placement, axis angel etc and find that the even the 150 under these circumstance is an excellent center. I have no issues with the lobing that people claim is a major problem with typical woofer-tweeter-woofer center speaker designs. Certainly it can be a measurable problem with a single microphone in an anechoic room, but not so much in a typically reflective living room with two ears and some grey mush involved.

So, I think any of these center speakers will be good. Choose whatever will work best for the room. I have 300s for my L+R because I use alone for hifi as well. For cinema use with 80Hz cross over and a sub, even the tiny silver 50 are actually pretty decent and even they surprisingly good bass on them for their size - which is true of all of this range. Sure the 250/350 are better speakers - if you can accommodate them to get the best out of them.
Thanks for the feedback. Ultimately, regardless of which center channel I get, I would likely be building a new TV stand regardless. I would just adjust my plans around the center that I end up buying, so the size is only an issue until I can get around to building it later this year, which means that it will have to stay in the box until around October.

Would the Silver 100s be sufficient here, paired with the c350? Or am I on the right path, considering the Silver 300s? I am still waiting to hear back from Monitor Audio about mixing the 6g and 7g.

Personally I think when always using with an AVR and its room correction and bass management, then the 100 will be fine and possibly easier to position.

However, if you also considering use for stereo music without the sub being involved (separate hifi amp, or AVR in pure direct mode) and you can position them with some space behind them then I would go for the 300 as they are excellent speakers at their price point for music in a typical modern living space.

I guess I have a similar kind of setup - large open plan modern space, but the difference is I use my 300s (with about 30-40cm behind them) for music with a good hifi amp far more then for AV where my hifi amp just serves as the front power amp.

These will pretty much always be used with a sub, even when listening to music in a 2.1 or 3.1 configuration, with the crossover being set probably around 60Hz-80Hz.

My "want" is the cleaner midrange that I noticed from the c350 to also come from the left and right channels, but I would think that simply by having the c350 present, I'm already going to be getting the advantage of the 4" midrange when listening to multi-channel music. As I move off-axis, the benefit would fade as I transition closer to the Silver 100s. Since I'd have the c350 for my center channel, obviously I am covered there for movies.

My "concern" is if the Silver 100s (with the c350) will be able to adequately fill the space both for movies (when seated at 10' away), knowing that there is no wall behind me, and across the length of the room when listening to music. I am not interested in it being 95dB while listening 28 feet away, but I just want it to still sound "full". Ultimately, I am looking to upgrade to a Denon x3700h, or possibly a x4700h.

I have attached an image for my current environment. The red rectangle is the overall space, which is 17' deep by 24' wide. The living room itself is the green rectangle and is 17' deep by 11' wide. I sit at about 10' from the speakers. The purple box is the couch, and the yellow is the TV cabinet. With this configuration, I haven't been able to test them as loudly as I want to because I actually like my neighbors, so I have to wait until they are not home. That said, it does get pretty loud.

For those of you who have (or had) the Silver 100s, do you think that they will be sufficient in the larger room? Worst case, I could always hold on to the c350, return the Silver 100s, and wait for a sale on the 7g Silver 300s, but since they just came out, I have no idea how long it will take for the prices to really come down. I didn't mind bumping up the budget to snag some outgoing 6g 300s for $1700 a pair, but I don't want to pay $2300-$2600 for the 7g versions right now.

Attachments

• CurrentPlacement.jpg
    CurrentPlacement.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
For those of you who have (or had) the Silver 100s, do you think that they will be sufficient in the larger room?
Fwiw - I had the 100's paired with the C350 very briefly in my room (approx 15ft x 10ft - with 8ft ceiling). They went plenty loud enough and filled the space. I had them connected to a Denon 4500 (older model to the 4700). Admittedly my room isn't open plan though and your room is also a little bigger. I did sit around 10ft from them though.

My opinion is that the 100's should be fine. But if you (or anyone) sits off axis to the L&R speakers, the 3 way 300's will/are better in such a scenario.

My decision was made a little easier as the difference in price between what I paid for the 100's vs the 300's was relatively small. Especially considering the discount I got against the 300's RRP. I also kept the 100's.

Not sure if that helps. Both the models will work with the C350 at the end of the day.

Your room is certainly big enough to entertain the 300's. floor stander's need room to breath, plenty of room away from the corners and from the wall they are positioned against. Your diagram indicates this won't be an issue.

However, you are only seated 10' away and you will be using your sub, so you can easily get away with the 100's and save some money to invest elsewhere. A better AVR or a second sub for example.

I think its always worth remembering that the stand mount and floor stander from the same range will sound the same from the mids up, they share the same drivers and tweeters after all. But, the floor standers will win on bass extension due to their larger cabinet size. Once a sub is factored in, the playing field is levelled again. Especially after room correction.

Aesthetically though, floor standers are gorgeous and much nicer to look at, IMO anyway.

Either way, I don't think you can go wrong.

Another vote for the C350, excellent speaker :cool:

Wander around the room while it's playing, there's less side to side variation with the C350 vs the C150, I had the C150 before and didn't like it at all.

Also a three way is always better for vocal range as it's mostly in the mid range driver not split so much through a crossover and where the woofer is at it's limits.

When I get compliments about my sound setup it's usually about dialog clarity or directly about the center speaker.

Ancient, but close. Does the 2.5 way crossover of the c150 give a real benefit for speech or not worth bothering? I cannot fit the height of the c350.

Ancient, but close. Does the 2.5 way crossover of the c150 give a real benefit for speech or not worth bothering? I cannot fit the height of the c350.
Yes imo it dies (am an owner of a C350 and have demo'd both)...

Could the smaller - still 3 way - 7th Gen C250 be an option?

Yes imo it dies (am an owner of a C350 and have demo'd both)...

Could the smaller - still 3 way - 7th Gen C250 be an option?
Thanks for the prompt, informative reply. Yes, I can fit the c250 if I don’t tilt it up. Debatable if I can put feet underneath it (it’s on a cabinet).

Edit: the 5g Gold too, it seems.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom