Monitor returns?

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by Captain Boom, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Captain Boom

Captain Boom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Im about to purchase a new monitor, either the OcUK Value L2442W or the Dell TrueColour E248WFP, and was wondering if I could return it to the website shop I bought it from should I not be satisfied with its performance.

I have seen loads of threads where people say that they have returned displays that they are unhappy with and then go on to buy another model.

If I need to can I just return it to the shop and get my money back?

2. Captain Boom

Captain Boom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  3. abraxus

abraxus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    If you order it online you can return it within seven days without having to give a reason under the distance selling regulations.

If you buy it from a shop it's at their discretion unless it's faulty.

4. Spiderkid

Spiderkid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    If you do plan to return within 7 days make sure you don't take off any of the protective wrapping when you set it up, and keep all the cables and even the bags they come in. If you don't return it in perfect condition they can charge you.

I bought the OcUK Value L2442W before Christmas, and although it's a fantastic monitor for the money, it's not HDCP compatible (so you can't send an HD source like a DVD player to it) and it also developed a fault within a few weeks (a black line accross the screen, which seems to be quite common). OcUK were fine about returning it though so I wouldn't have a problem buying from them. I'd advise you to read the forum on their website regarding the monitor.

5. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +558
    I've just sent a monitor back to PCBuyit with no problems.
    I won't get the original posting cost back, and i did have to pay for it to be returned.
    This is completely understandable, as there was no fault with the monitor.

I found the type of panel it used (TN) restricted my viewing angle too much.

I did send the monitor back the same day it arrived.
    I made sure i only unpacked the actual screen/stand, so i could demo the monitor.
    After 30 minutes, i could see it wasn't for me.
    It was repacked exactly as i had received it, so i don't expect any problems with the refund.

I've since ordered a new monitor from them.

The distance regs do give you 7 days to return certain mail order items.
    I believe there are certain items and circumstances that the 7 days doesn't apply.
    E-tailers have to realise, that they save money by not offering a shop or demo facilities.
    And that people sometimes need to see/demo the goods.
    If they are not what they expected, then they will send them back.
    These businesses need to have a system for checking/repacking the goods.
    I don't think they are allowed to resell them as new.

The problems start with bad customers.
    Some people do abuse this system.
    Some people don't care that the e-tailer has to try and resell the returned items.
    They rip the boxes, mark or dirty the goods and don't even attempt to repack the items correctly.
    These people wouldn't expect(accept) to receive their "new" items in that condition.
    This creates a catch 22 situation where e-tailers don't want returns unless the items are faulty.

The best advice i can give to anybody ordering on-line is to make sure you keep all the packing, and try to keep everything pristine.
    Try the item ASAP, and contact the seller ASAP if you find it is not suitable.
    Once the seller sees that the item can be resold (especially as new), a refund should be issued without fuss.

Funny thing is, is that i'm sensitive about receiving repacked or used items when i'm paying full/new prices! (ie if i'm paying for new, i want BRAND new :suicide:)

6. Captain Boom

Captain Boom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thank you for your replies. I wasnt sure about the regulations on returns and your answers have put my mind at rest.

Didnt go for either of those monitors in the end, I bought the Dell 2407WFP (non HC version, rev A04). Hoping to receive it Mon/Tue next week so might post my opinions in the 2407 specific thread once I have had a play around with it :)

7. jon_c0

jon_c0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    For anyone that's interested, there's a useful guide to the Distance Selling Regulations here.

Note that you are actually also entitled to a refund of any initial delivery costs under the DSRs, although it's your responsibility to cover the cost of the return.

8. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +558
    Great link!

It does say that the cost of return posting is only payable by the customer if it was stated as so in the contract of sale.
    I didn't get direct notice of this with my sale (over the phone etc), so i will ask for this back as well. :smashin:

However, i do see with some interest that it now also states that "re-stocking" fees are not allowed.
    And that the goods do NOT have to be returned "as new" or "resellable", just in reasonable condition.
    The customer just has to take reasonale care of the item.
    I do feel that is a little unfair as i do see the need for items to be resold.

Reading loads of sites T&Cs means many many business do not have up to date T&Cs. (therefore in breach of the DSR etc)

9. jon_c0

jon_c0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I guess I take your stance on this point. I've had two TVs and returned them under the DSRs. A Sagem RPTV after I was plagued by rainbows and buzzing (not noticeable when viewed in store, but I was highly susceptible at home) and a Sony SXRD RPTV, (the sheer size of which cabinet-wise + cooling gap made it unrealistic when in my front room). Both were returned to Comet, and they went back as good as they came - I even used my own batteries in the remotes so as to not break-open the ones supplied. I guess the DSRs are open to some abuse here...although how many times do the regulations favour the purchaser :).