monitor req'd

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by gargoyle, Apr 6, 2004.

1. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Having just become the lucky recipient of an radeon 9800 from overclockers uk, I decided that I need a good quality, large screen monitor to do this gfx card justice as my cheapo brand 19 incher's on its last leg.
    I definitely want to go the way of crt as I consider it better value than lcd and have a price limit of £550 - are there any happy 22+ owners out there who can offer recomendations?

2. FishCake

FishCake
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have not got one myself but the Iiyama Visionmaster Pro 514 is reputed to be a very nice gaming screen and recommended by PC Zone magazine.

Specs Link

Comes in at £450ish

Just looking at them on eBuyer tho and the reviews are not that complimentary.... maybe you should consider one of the Mitsubishsi/Nec screens. Mind you the VM Pro 514 uses a Mitsu Diamondtron Tube.....

Hope that kind of helps.... maybe somebody who owns one of these screens can comment?

I would be interested myself in peoples views as my 19" Compaq is getting a bit long in the tooth!

3. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks for the link fishcake, thats one sweet looking piece of gear!
    I've put it near the top of my wishlist, an additional bonus is that its available at £398 from microdirect.
    At the moment, I am also considering buying two 17in monitors to facilitate multi screen gaming.

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,811
    IIyama are not a bad firm to deal with. I had a problem with mine and the arranged a door to door service and they footed the bill.

5. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Actually, I've been looking at lcd monitors as well as crt and it seems that there are some lcd's which perform on a par with crt, in particular, I'm looking at the samsung syncmaster 193d (19in) which offers exceptional performance and is very stylish but before I make my choice, I have to check the following issues-

1 - longevity - Apparently, lcd monitors have a much shorter life than crt.
    2 - dead pixels - all lcd manufacturers have different policies regarding this issue so I'd have to check that the manufacturer would replace my monitor in the event of d.p rearing its head.
    3 - smearing - having just purchased a 9800 pro, theres nothing worse than buying a monitor which compromises the performance of this gfx.
    so far, heres the good and bad points of both-

CRT - good - price, screen size, longevity, performance, price.
    Bad - sheer bulk, weight power consumption .

LCD - good - stylish, slim, bright large viewing area,power consumption.
    Bad - dead pixels, smearing, longevity, price.

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,811
    Some talk that may intrest you on this thread here.

7. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks for the link garrett, it seems that my mind has been made up for me - buying an lcd seems to be pretty much an hit and miss affair - at least with crt, they're a known quantity and in the 14 years that I've been using them, I can honestly say that they'v never let me down, the ilyami visionmaster pro 514 may be big, but at least, I won't have to worry about smear, dead pixels and lifespan! Also, at £398 it is considerably cheaper than the samsung.
    By the way - anyone know when 'Thief 3' hits the street? I'm desperate for a good pc sneak em up!

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,811
    Could be May have a look at these links here and here
    Good taste in games:smashin: :cool: :smoke:

9. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason I changed from a 19" Iiyama Diamondtron to an Iiyama lcd was because the Diamondtron had poor geometry. Despite the mass of adjustments I couldn't get rid of all the faults and eventually gave it away to my brother. Perfect geometry is a plus of lcd and there's no screen burn to worry about either :smashin:

10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,811
    I must say the geometry is spot on my monitor a Vision Master Pro 450, and screen burn should not be a problem if you use a good screen saver I have had mine monitor 3 years and seems to be as good as the day I bought it and it is on at least 8 hour’s a day.