1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor problems

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Makaveli, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Makaveli

Makaveli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, technically not a Home Cinema issue, but hopefully somebody here can help me out.

Here's the thing, my monitor (Dell M991) has stopped working. It's completely out of the blue, as it was working perfectly, I shut down the PC and the next time I booted up the monitor wouldn't display any picture.

It has power, and it's not the graphics card, as I'm using another monitor now on the same PC. There's no broken pins on the Visual In cable, but the problem seems to be with this cable.

Can these cables be replaced? Or is there anything else I could do? If something had blown inside the monitor would it be obvious?

Thanks

2. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,453
    I think the cable on a 991 is hard wired onto the board, but they can be replaced and VGA cables dying is not uncommon on monitors of all brands..

I don't know how easy it it to source a new cable from dell, it's more of a professional spare so don't know if they're available through the public website.

If it was the VGA cable, I'd have maybe expected a few warning signs first, you often get 'No VGA Signal' which is then OK after you switch off andd start up again, or the infamous 'green screen' effect.. ??

Could be power problem also, there's a safety fuse just inboard from the power connection on most CRT monitors, these can fail without any warning or indication.. or could even be the power button itself faulty, seen this plenty of times on older monitors.

You should be able to get it repaired for about £30 + parts, this may well end up cheaper than trying yourself, monitors are not the most fun things to take apart either...

3. Makaveli

Makaveli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply.
    Another thing to note which I forgot to mention was, I plugged in the monitor but didnt connect it to the computer. So when you switch it on you should get the no signal message, but the screen remained totally blank. So maybe it's not the cable.

When it first went, I did fiddle with the cable at the back and got a picture to come up for a second but then it went again.

Perhaps something is loose? Or maybe it's dead, but I don't see why a monitor should just die after 2 years considering it was working perfectly without even a hint of a problem with it.

Perplexed and p***ed off.

4. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,453
    that sounds like the classic shorting VGA cable.... #1 failure on Dell monitors in my experience...

Depending on how confident you are taking things apart / soldering.. i'd either source a new VGa cable or take it down the local monitor refurb shop and get a quote (based on your description) before you let them do any work..

5. Makaveli

Makaveli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the info.

Finding a place that fixes monitors seems to be few and far between here in Dublin. I'm also at the stage where I'm wondering is there any point in getting it repaired or should I just go out and buy a new monitor altogether.

If I do get it repaired, will it hold? Or is it bound to go on me again in a short period? If I buy a new monitor it'll have 3 year warranty, and €185 may be cheaper in the long run than paying for labour + parts and no warranty.

6. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,453
    hard to say how long monitors last really...

If you've got some cash handy Iiyama do a good 19" for £105 these days...

just bought a couple at work and they're real nice.. good for 1600x1200 res @ 85hz

???