1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor plug re-wiring help needed

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Colinloves, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Colinloves

Colinloves
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I hope someone can help me ere....

I got a flat screen monitor (Medion) and my new little puppy managed to chew off the connetor that goes into the graphics card. (good job he didnt get a taste for it)
    I brought a new connetor and all the bits, but I have no idea wot wires go on wot pin - I phoned the company - no help at all. And I heard that the price of a new cable will cost 70 quid......so Im not going there.

So one monitor plug to pin diagram needed. - can anyone help or at least point me in the right direction?

thank you :)

2. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Here is a link:

http://www.diyha.co.uk/electronics/vga.html

Not easy to solder though !

If the monitor has a lead with 15 pin VGA connectors at both ends, you would be better buying a new cable.

A standard monitor cable does not cost much.

If the cable is hard wired into the monitor, then best get the soldering iron warmed up.

Good luck !

Mark.

3. Colinloves

Colinloves
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks mate, Ill check the link out

yeah, the cable is not hard wired, but does have a speical plug thats unique to the monitor.

4. nohoper

nohoper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Special plugs eh! It's like buying a car that can only be serviced by the main dealer which costs a fortune. I can't stand retailer/suppliers that do that sort of thing. Thanks for letting us know about this Medion product.

Good luck with the soldering. Have you also looked on ebay or anything for a cheaper source for the cable?

5. Colinloves

Colinloves
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The link was helpful in part, but it still don't tell me where these about wires go?

So this is wot my monitor cable looks like:

its got 3 normal wires, each with bare wire wraped around them (not sure what to do with that) that are coloured, White, Pink, Blue.
    then some smaller wires that are White, Yellow, Black, Orange, Green, Brown

The link was helpful in part, but it still don't tell me where these about wires go?

- I do hope that these colour codes are universal - otherwise I guess I will need the pin info on the monitor board itself....which sounds even harder to get hold of.

So I still need some help...anyone?? :D

6. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Did your dog chew through the wire leaving the actual VGA connector intact with a bit of wire sticking out of it? If so then you just need to use a multimeter set to continuity test mode to see which pin is connected to which colour of wire and then replicate that arrangement inside the new connector.

7. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,453
    If you can describe, or better still attach a picture of, the connector on the monitor end it may help in identifying a replacement.

8. Colinloves

Colinloves
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    sadly the dog chewed up the connector, otherwise I would of done something like that.

It might help if I say that the other end (the bit that goes into the monitor) is called a 'D-Sub' - maybe I can find a VDA cable with a S-sub connector. As I seems too hard to get this thing wired up....But finding the above also dont seem thast easy.....aint seen one yet