• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Monitor output switching on Denon AVR x6500h

Digriz

Standard Member
Ok folks. I'm a newbie on here though I have been using surround amps since the old Pro-logic days so be gentle with me.
Just upgraded from an 8 year old Onkyo to the Denon, mainly for Atmos and because the price plummeted with the advent of the 8k range (got four kef q50a speakers at a good price as part of the deal) and I have a new Epson 9400 4k projector so the 4k switching is useful.

I still have an old LG HD TV ( I have limited space and so at 49 inches dont see the need for 4k - different story with the pj ).

So I need to switch between monitor 1 (projector) and monitor 2 (tv). I can do it by negotiating the menus in the control app but thats a pain, especially for family members. I can't for the life of me see a button on the Denon remote which allows it. The solution would be to enable auto which outputs to both but if I then switch off whichever display I am not using, it switches off both thus rendering auto useless for me. I wonder if this might have something to do with outputting to a 4k enabldd projector and HD only TV but am not sure. I switched ARC off but this did not help ?.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jim

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I presume the 6500 has the quick select functions where you can memorise all the settings and save it to a slot? It also stores source, sound settings and a load of other things including the HDMI output settings.

Edit to add I found a picture of the 6500 remote and it does have the quick select buttons in a row just above the volume and menu controls.

gibbsy

You can use the quick select buttons for each zone. Press the zone button on the remote and then save your selections for the second zone as you have done for the main zone.

Calling up the settings

Press MAIN, Z2 or Z3 to select the operating zone with the remote control.
The button for the selected zone is lit.
Press QUICK SELECT.
The Quick Select settings registered to the button you pressed are called up.
The default settings for the input source are as shown below.
Bracket Open
MAIN ZONE
Bracket Close
/
Bracket Open
ZONE2
Bracket Close
/
Bracket Open
ZONE3
Bracket Close

Button
Input source​
QUICK SELECT 1​
CBL/SAT​
QUICK SELECT 2​
Blu-ray​
QUICK SELECT 3​
Media Player​
QUICK SELECT 4​
HEOS Music​

Volume is not registered to Quick Select Plus in the factory default settings.
See Changing the settingslink to register volume to Quick Select Plus. link

INTEGRATED NETWORK AV RECEIVER

dante01

Distinguished Member
He isn't wanting to select the second zone and simply wishes to switch between the MONITOR 1 and the MONITOR 2 mirrored HDMI outpouts. Denon and Marantz AV receivers don't unfotunately have a button on their remote to excecute this and rely upon a user having to dig down into the receiver's configurations if wishing to enabled and or disable one or the other output. AS mentioned, you can however save the output confugurations to the QUICK SELECT keys.

Why would you want to switxh the outputs as opposed to leaving them both activive? If you don't then the leasr capable device you are outputting to will determine the video for both outputs. THe only way around this is to dissable the least capable output or to turn the unused device off at the mains.

AgaiN and as already siggested, you can save the HDMI VIDEO OUTPUT configurations to the QUICK SELECT keys and this will effectively allow you to switch between the 2 outputs using the remote.and associated QUICK SELECT keys.

Last edited:

Digriz

Standard Member
He isn't wanting to select the second zone and simply wishes to switch between the MONITOR 1 and the MONITOR 2 mirrored HDMI outpouts. Denon and Marantz AV receivers don't unfotunately have a button on their remote to excecute this and rely upon a user having to dig down into the receiver's configurations if wishing to enabled and or disable one or the other output. AS mentioned, you can however save the output confugurations to the QUICK SELECT keys.

Why would you want to switxh the outputs as opposed to leaving them both activive? If you don't then the leasr capable device you are outputting to will determine the video for both outputs. THe only way around this is to dissable the least capable output or to turn the unused device off at the mains.

AgaiN and as already siggested, you can save the HDMI VIDEO OUTPUT configurations to the QUICK SELECT keys and this will effectively allow you to switch between the 2 outputs using the remote.and associated QUICK SELECT keys.
I do want to keep both active but when I did that and then switched off the device I wasn't watching ie the TV or the PJ it would then bizarrely switch off the other one as well. Ie. I am watching the TV and want to watch the projector. I switch on the projector. I now have image on projector and TV. I then switch off the TV and, bam, the projector switches off as well so no image on either. That rendered the auto switching setting useless and I was forced to either watch the TV and projector at the same time ( very distracting ) or switch between monitor one and two which I could not do on tge remote. It is not related to using different zones. However I think I have cracked it by fiddling with the remote power on/off over HDMI settings whuch seemed to be on by default. Now I can use auto and it just switches the monitor in use off transiently and then it comes on again.

Only thing is now the settings page image on the TV is switching on and off every second or so but I can live with that. Thanks for the advice about the quick select keys. I hadnt thought of that, partly because I like to use a logitech learning remote but I can set the quick keys then trach the command to the logitech.

Thanks for the help.

Digriz

Standard Member
Seems really dumb not to have an output selector switch on the remote, though. The fact it isn't there means using learning remotes to automatically control multiple inputs and outputs more complex than it needs to be.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The issue you are having could be as a result of HDMI Control (HDMI CEC) being engaged? THere should be a setting called POWER OFF CONTROL within the AV receiver's HDMI configurations. Try setting this to OFF and see how this effects things?

If the PJ has an HDMI Cnntrol setting then I'd also suggest you turn this off. You may want to leave it on onboard the TV for other features that depend upon it?

Digriz

Standard Member
The issue you are having could be as a result of HDMI Control (HDMI CEC) being engaged? THere should be a setting called POWER OFF CONTROL within the AV receiver's HDMI configurations. Try setting this to OFF and see how this effects things?

If the PJ has an HDMI Cnntrol setting then I'd also suggest you turn this off. You may want to leave it on onboard the TV for other features that depend upon it?
Thanks Dante. I think you are right. I disengaged the power over HDMI control and it initially seemed to fix it but it is still a bit flaky depending on which order I do things so I will take a look at the settings on the Epson also.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom