1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Monitor out' on the Yamaha DSP-E800

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by theo cupier, Jan 9, 2005.

Tags:
  1. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Just about to become the proud owner of a DSP-E800 and am trying to plan how to connect my AV sources up to it.

Does anyone know what signal the Yamaha DSP-E800 sends via its 'monitor out' socket? Also, if the socket a standard phono socket, how would this get to my TV which has 2 scarts and an RF?

The user manual on the Yamaha website is a bit light on detail regarding the monitor out socket, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Am I as well ignoring the E800 for video and using scarts & scart switch boxes in the usual fashion?

2. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There are two monitor outputs, the regular phono socket sends composite video and the other is an S-video socket. The signals coming in via the composite video inputs and S-video inputs are sent to the respective monitor output independently, so if you have both composite video and S-video sources you need to find a way to connect both monitor outputs to your TV. The DSP-E800 cannot convert between the two types of signal.

In my opinion, it's not worth using the video switching of the DSP-E800. Since with DVD and digital TV you want to use a component signal such as RGB or YPbPr, I'd suggest using a separate video switcher or daisy-chaining devices through SCART where possible and necessary.

If you do want to connect your DSP-E800 to the TV, you need a composite/S-video->SCART adapter such as this. You would not be able to connect both the S-video and composite outputs from the DSP-E800 to it at the same time though, as that would lead to interference.

3. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Thanks for that.

For some reason, I had got it into my head that the E800 could accept component video in, but checking again I see it doesn't.

I think I'll stick with RGB scart for now - it would be a bad time to get upgraditis and start thinking about the 3805!