Monitor or TV?

cunnas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just curious about what people use with their PS5? I have always been fairly old school in terms of thinking consoles are for TV, PCs are for monitors but I am considering moving my PS5 away from the TV (just a fairly bog standard Hisense 55" UHD/HDR TV - nothing fancy) and possibly going for a PS5/gaming monitor/desk setup.

Any thoughts on this? Any downsides moving away from a TV? Any positives going for a gaming monitor (no idea which one yet - currently a very new idea!)?

Hi,
I was in the same predicament as you a few years ago and made the jump to using a 27" 4K monitor.
It's feels more intimate using the monitor and the fact that it's set up in my home office allows me to get away from the hustle and bustle of family life when not using the living room telly.

I've now upgraded to a 32 HDR monitor and have a 55 TV in the living room. But the monitor seems better for gaming.

I'm still a little split as I enjoy gaming on the sofa at night, having the good speakers, comfy seat, big screen, HDR etc but I know I could get a better spec monitor in terms of response rate and running at 120HZ too. I guess I'd lose HDR though on a monitor unless I had a big budget...which I don't! Decisions....

Since I got an OLED TV I use that most of the time but I have a HDMI switch in place to let me also use the 1440p PC monitor (not a supported Resolution by Sony damn them) for when the rest of the family are on the TV.

Used monitors for consoles for years now. Probably because I have my roots in PC gaming (still do). Can't get on with big screen hdr gaming it's does nothing for me visually. Response time is first port of call. And also if I do end up sitting in front of TV I invariably end up the gaming chair. The sofa is for snoozing.

Last edited:
I'm more interested in going the other way, using a small screen OLED tele for my pc gaming. My main OLED is a 55” one connected up to PS5 and Series X, but It’s much too gargantuan for the distance I sit for pc gaming. This year LG have made a 42” model but I need a better pc first if I’m going to be playing modern games at 4K resolution.

I think I'm siding with a TV, sofa setup....so sticking with what I have. I spend all day close to a computer screen and whilst I'm sure my gaming ability might improve closer up, I'm almost 42 so siding with the comfort option. Definitely need to get a better TV though. But that may end in divorce so biding my time!

This is my current setup....photo distorts it a bit as it looks far away and the TV looks tiny but it's a 55" and I sit around 1.75m away from it. Definitely need an OLED though!

PXL_20220316_210538287.jpg

I use a 55" 4K OLED TV for console gaming and a 27" 1440p G-SYNC monitor for my PC. Monitors are okay for close up gaming sat a desk but I wouldn't want to play console games on them personally as typically they have poor black levels and HDR is mediocre at best (or non-existent as is the case with mine!).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom