Monitor or TV?

thisempty

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.
I just threw my 360 gamepad at my samsung 24" monitor while playing fifa10. IT BROKE THE GLASS :(

So now i have to buy a new one.
My question is: What is the big difference between a lcd monitor and a lcd tv?
I ask this because the prices are similiar for the same sizes, and it kinda confuses people as to why they should buy a monitor instead of just going for a tv and having both worlds in one (pc and tv).

If i go for a monitor it will be a 26". If i go for a tv it will be a 32" full hd.
I can find 32" full hd tv at the same prices as a 26" tn panel monitor. Or maybe for more 50€, 70€.

So, my ultimate question is: Why should i buy a monitor and not a tv EVEN if i'll only use it with the pc?

basically its a very simple answer - A LCD TV has extra elements (hardware and sofware) to improve video (especially SD TV images) as this is its function, where as a LCD monitor designed for a PC doesnt, also a LCD PC monitor often wont have speakers.

What tends to happen is that a cheap monitor will give a good image for a PC but connect a TV signal to it and it will look poor.

A cheap TV will give a good TV picture (if its not too cheap) but connect a PC and you may find the picture is not as good as a PC monitor at the same price.

The signal processing that a TV needs to give a good TV picture costs money so in theory a TV at the same price as a PC LCD wont be as good for PC signals.

In real life its a little more tricky as some Good quality TV's are also excellent as monitors - this tends to be the rule rather than a Good monitor being a good TV. I would buy a LCD TV if I was planning on watching a fair amount of TV on it but not if it was mainly for PC use.

basically its a very simple answer - A LCD TV has extra elements (hardware and sofware) to improve video (especially SD TV images) as this is its function, where as a LCD monitor designed for a PC doesnt, also a LCD PC monitor often wont have speakers.

What tends to happen is that a cheap monitor will give a good image for a PC but connect a TV signal to it and it will look poor.

A cheap TV will give a good TV picture (if its not too cheap) but connect a PC and you may find the picture is not as good as a PC monitor at the same price.

The signal processing that a TV needs to give a good TV picture costs money so in theory a TV at the same price as a PC LCD wont be as good for PC signals.

In real life its a little more tricky as some Good quality TV's are also excellent as monitors - this tends to be the rule rather than a Good monitor being a good TV. I would buy a LCD TV if I was planning on watching a fair amount of TV on it but not if it was mainly for PC use.

Thank you so much for your reply :)
You say a TV has more software and hardware to improve TV signals, and that that is the difference between a tv and a monitor. But then you say that a cheap TV wont be as good for a PC as a monitor. Why?
I thought it would be the same for PC, because a crap TV wont be as good as a good one for TV signals, but for PC viewing i thought it would always be the same as a monitor.
So why is that a monitor is better for PC than a LCD TV? Even if only using it with a PC?

Thanks.

Anyway, the monitor/tv will be used for PC, Movies and xbox360. What do you suggest then?

Last edited:
I mean is a £200 PC monitor is basically a screen and nothing else so you are getting a £200 screen.

Where as a £200 LCD TV is a screen, a tv tuner, speakers, remote control etc so the screen part is usually cheaper, hence on when you are using a PC (where the image quality is prefect as its coming from the PC) the cheaper screen has a change of not looking so good.

Of course prices vary depending on where you buy from but in general the same priced TV will not be as a good on a PC as the same priced PC monitor.

agree with what posted above TBH

but im interested also that there is only 1 monitor with any kind of LED dimming ! and i dont think it is 120hz either.. yet monitors are getting bigger 26" isnt that far from a 32" tv for size and these TV`s have lots of little extras for better blacks, led dimming, 120hz, different high response panels etc...

also when you choose pc input most of the extra features of the tv are removed.

TV Positives:
- TVs do a much better job of upscaling SD inputs due to the upscaling software
- TVs are brighter, with generally better contrast
- TVs usually come with more inputs

Monitor Positives:
- Monitors have better colours generally.
- Monitors are simple and sharp, some cheapo tvs without proper functions may give blured images (especially notable on text). This isn't generally the case nowadays.
- Sometimes the brightness of tvs can be a little too much, and turning it down can affect the picture quality.

Personally if you've got the desk of a good enough size a 1080p 32" tv will probably suit you as an all in one device. I originally had 2 monitors set up, "1 normal" TFT and a 32" 1080p tv which also had the ps3/xbox attached aswell. The idea was I'd just use the tv to output videos + gaming and the TFT for everything else I've ended up just using the tv 99% of the time.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom