Monitor or Tv for PS5?

Beezerk

I’m going to set up a gaming area in a spare bedroom so I can get my PS5 away from the main tv in the living room.
I need a smallish tv or monitor to get me away, nothing huge as I’ll be sat pretty close to the screen.
What would you suggest? Obviously I’d be looking at something to make the most of the PS5 capabilities but I don’t want to break the bank, looking at a couple of hundred quid or a touch more for the right screen.

What size and do you need speakers as most monitors dont have them (not an issue if your planning on using headphones all the time)

PS5 is best on 4K and doesnt currently support 1440p so your looking for a 4K screen or a 1080p one really. I would consider a 32" TV - best one/cheaperst one you are willing to go for personally. If your getting a bigger screen go 4K Hisense do well prices ones.

Beezerk

Thanks for the reply, I don’t need a huge screen, 32” would be the max I guess. I’m not worried about speakers as I’ll be using a headset in the room.
I’m curious if I need to go hdmi 2.1 with 4k, hdr and 120hz to get the best out of my PS5 or worry about that stuff later .

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
I would recommend either a 4K 60hz screen at 27 inch or 32 inch (whichever you think you'd prefer). Otherwise you could go for a 24 inch 1080p 120hz/144hz monitor.

A bit of an in-between would be a 1440p 120hz/144hz monitor with hdmi 2.0 which could accept a 4K 60hz signal and downscale/super sample down to 1440p for games which don't 120hz, but also could accept a 1080p 120hz signal which it would upscale to 1440p.

Personally I play on a 27 inch 4K 60 Hz monitor with HDR disabled on the console (so I play in SDR as the monitor cannot display HDR properly).

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
Amazon product
One of the best monitors to buy at the moment for next-gen consoles.
Not a bad price. Doesn't have the spec for HDR though so if using this with any console your best bet would be to turn HDR Off on the console and run it in SDR mode. If people are really keen for 120hz and don't want the increase in graphics from 1080p to 4K then sure!

Personally, I would pay an extra £40/£50 and get this => Amazon product

Beezerk

I actually ordered a BenQ EW3270U from Amazon at the weekend as it was reduced by £100, getting delivered today. Reviews say HDR isn’t great on it so I will probably disable that on the console.

RTC89

HDR never is a good option on a monitor for console to be honest like you say better with it off, enjoy your new monitor anyway dude

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
I actually ordered a BenQ EW3270U from Amazon at the weekend as it was reduced by £100, getting delivered today. Reviews say HDR isn’t great on it so I will probably disable that on the console.
Nice one. Yeah adding support for 'receiving a HDR10 signal' is just a tick boxing exercise that really is only hurting the end consumer who might not be that tech savvy and then plays with HDR enabled on their consoles/PC when really they would get a superior image with HDR disabled.

So you got it for under £300? It's currently selling for £371. Nicely done!

What console and screen are you coming from?

Beezerk

Nice one. Yeah adding support for 'receiving a HDR10 signal' is just a tick boxing exercise that really is only hurting the end consumer who might not be that tech savvy and then plays with HDR enabled on their consoles/PC when really they would get a superior image with HDR disabled.

So you got it for under £300? It's currently selling for £371. Nicely done!

What console and screen are you coming from?

I’ve had a PS5 since launch day but I was Xbox One before that. The console has been in the living room for the last year with the main tv but I’ve created a gaming area in a spare bedroom so a monitor was required. I’ve been using a crappy old 24” tv for the last couple of weeks, the difference between that and my new one is incredible 😎

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
I’ve had a PS5 since launch day but I was Xbox One before that. The console has been in the living room for the last year with the main tv but I’ve created a gaming area in a spare bedroom so a monitor was required. I’ve been using a crappy old 24” tv for the last couple of weeks, the difference between that and my new one is incredible 😎
Out of interest, what TV were you playing on in the living room and would you compare playing on your new monitor to that?

Beezerk

Out of interest, what TV were you playing on in the living room and would you compare playing on your new monitor to that?

It's a Hisense 55" U8B, not a bad TV and the PS5 looked great on it. I did have to enable game mode on the TV as it had some strange sort of visual input lag (I'm sure there's a technical term for that lol) when playing COD online. The monitor is just as good on first impressions, I've also enabled game mode on the monitor as I read somewhere on Reddit that was the way to go but I will mess with settings down the line. Out of the box though, the monitor seems superb and I'm hard pushed to tell which is best with the naked eye.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom