Monitor Musings

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by jjgreenwood, Jan 3, 2012.

?
  1. 27" High Resolution Screen

10 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. 22" x 3 1080p eyefinity

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. 3d surround but wait forever and spend a fortune

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jjgreenwood

jjgreenwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +966
    Thinking of tinkering around a bit and changing things. Considering selling my 3d setup and going for one of the following options:

1. Go for a Hazro 27" high res screen
    2. Sell gtx 480 as well, get a 7970 and run eyefinity across 3 x 22" 1080p screens
    3. Keep what I've got and wait til kepler comes out and either get another nvidia card which can handle surround, or buy a 2nd hand gtx 580 and start scouring ebay for more aw2310s (this option will probably take forever due to funds involved)

Interested in opinions chaps. I play the star wars MMO and a variety of single player games.

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    If you are mainly playing single player games and presumably mostly of a FPS style (or MMO), then not sure Eyefinity is the way to go.....you are better off with a single massive screen....granted resolution becomes stretched, but it depends on how far you sit. If you are needing to sit at the desk, then a 30in higher than Full HD res monitor will probably be a lot more immersive than three screens (more suited to simulators).....and your current card can shift the polygons in a lot of games, just wont have the very latest eye-candy. Alternatively, game in life size as I do and get a projector. 3D projectors can be had for £1,200 now at 1920x1080, or you can get 720p for a fair bit less. The experience really is so much more, especially if you want to use a surround sound system as well....Your current budget may not allow, but then you could consider finance on a projector if your credit score is reasonable and you can cover the payments.

3. Sega Mega Dave

Sega Mega Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,262
    Just so happens I know a guy who will be selling 2x GTX 580's and a Hazro 27" 2560x1440 monitor within the next week ;)

The Hazro is a stunning picture and 2560x1440 is a lovely res but a few things to note. With the WC model there is no options in Nvidia control panel to alter "change resolution" and to alter "adjust desktop size and position" also it's not HDCP certified so can't play Blu-rays etc... without 3rd party software. The WA model which is more expensive supports all these but suffers with more input lag due to scaler.

The inability to change res etc... is down to having no in built scaler and hence why they can do them cheap.

None of these things bothered me so that's why i bought it. IPS and high res is gorgeous though.

It's the same screen as the Apple Display i believe too.

If you buy only one 7970, i think some top end games you will struggle to get max settings as you will be running a res of 5760x1080 or 3240x1920 when using eyeinfinity.

GTX 580's won't go down in price in my opinion even with the new AMD release so cheap ones won't be dirt cheap but like i say I know 2 popping up shortly.

If you decide stick Nvidia route then remember 1.5gb RAM is not going to be enough for 3 screens even if you have 2 cards. BF3 for example you will get framerate drops at 1440p because of the lack of RAM.

Waiting for Kepler is an option but non of us know when it will be, what it will be like and how much it will cost. It depends if you are really wanting it now, if so then go for it now as no matter how long you wait there will always be something new within 6 months in this industry.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  4. jjgreenwood

jjgreenwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +966
    Thanks guys

Whilst I'd love projectors unfortunately just haven't got the room for them. Looks like option 3 is on its way out leaving me with either eyefinity or the larger screen.

I might be interested in that Hazro dave so throw me a pm when you are ready.

Otherwise I guess scaling down things so its 5040 x 1050 might help things for the eyefinity setup? I realise with only 1 card I'll have to cut back on some graphics setting, but I suppose I'd add a second - eventually.

5. PocketBunny

PocketBunny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +680
    I personally would choose the larger monitor. I do like the look of eyefinity and all its 3 screen crazyness, but i know the gaps in the image where bezels will be, would do my head in!

6. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,441
    I voted high res. I'm still trying to sell my 27" 1920x1080 so I can give 120Hz a go.........however......I am already thinking maybe I should be going for a high res IPS panel. The bulk of my computing is done on Macs and its only really in the evenings I get onto the PC. For me my PC is my enthusiast machine, my hobby, my labour of love :D I do find myself always thinking my OSX screens are so much nicer to work with so it would be nice to finally see my rig displayed with a similar spec panel.

I'll still go 120Hz first though. Got to scratch that itch! When I eventually move back to my own house in the Autumn I'll buy a new PJ for big screen larks as I sold my last when we moved out. I miss my PJ :(

7. jjgreenwood

jjgreenwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +966
    Well, there will probably be an Alienware AW2310 complete with 3d vision pack going on classifieds soon mate so your time may have come ;)

8. eiren

eiren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,796
    If it's size, go 50-60" plasma screen, or get yourself a projector. Doesn't get much more immersive or cinematic than that.

I was playing The Old Republic on my cinema screen yesterday and it was the nuts.

9. jjgreenwood

jjgreenwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +966
    got a 42" one downstairs mate, I occasionally take the pc down and hook it up to play console ports on it.

Now you mention it I might hook it up to my surround sound and play batman on it til the early hours sat night :)

10. eiren

eiren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,796
    That's the way to play cinematic games :smashin::devil:

11. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,441
    Its how I played Batman AA. The section in the morgue was one of the best gaming memories ever. Simply amazing.