Monitor Loses Signal as Vista Boots

Trist

I’m not sure if my problems are specifically being caused by Vista but I’m hoping that some of you clever folk in here will be able to help me out.

Ok here’s a summary.

My PC has been setup duel booting Vista and XP and has been working with no problems for a fair few months now, I’ve got a fairly old ATI Radeon 9600 installed and I updated it with the new Vista drivers the other day. It all seemed to work ok except I strangely I lost Aero effects as my Score went down. Not sure if that’s related in any way, but the more information I give I’m guessing the better.

Then yesterday (after the PC was working fine the night before) when I booted up just after the Vista loading screen with the bar moving across the bottom my monitor (Hyundai LCD in my sig connected with DVI) lost the signal. As if someone pulled the plug. It does exactly the same thing when loading XP.

Here’s what I’ve tried.

I loaded in safe mode and that seems to work :) So thinking it must be a problem with my new driver I uninstalled the current drivers and rebooted. Good news again Vista seems to load up fine, and as it loads it says it’s installing the drivers. The drivers automatically install and it asks to reboot. The problem is once I reboot it does exactly the same as before and loses signal as it loads Vista. I then have to go back through the same process of loading in safe mode again.

I tried connecting up my old VGA monitor and that does exactly the same thing too.

I’ve tried letting Vista install default Radeon 9600 drivers, and I’ve also tried reinstalling the latest ATI drivers but the same routine happens every time with it not working after the re-boot.

I’m really baffled. It doesn’t seem to be a hardware problem as I can get it too work basically after I uninstall the drivers in safe more. Any ideas people??? It’s driving (topical) me mad!

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
If your score went down and Aero stopped working there must be a problem with the driver! You didn't update the firmware in the graphics card too did you?

I'd rollback to the old driver if you can, and double check you have the correct driver for your hardware. What is the exact make/model of your card?

Trist

If your score went down and Aero stopped working there must be a problem with the driver! You didn't update the firmware in the graphics card too did you?

I'd rollback to the old driver if you can, and double check you have the correct driver for your hardware. What is the exact make/model of your card?
It was only the driver that I updated & it was taken straight from the ATI website.

As for the exact model of the graphics card, I’m pretty certain it’s the basic ATI Radeon 9600, and it was the Home/ Professional Vista driver that I downloaded so that should be correct.

I’m not sure if rolling back the driver will work as I’ve tried to reinstall it a couple of times now... but I’ll give it a shot tonight.

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
There are no such things as "Home/ Professional Vista"!

I'm sure you got it right, but the link for 32-bit Vista is here.

Another top tip: Only ever install one driver and then rollback. If you install more than once, your old driver is gone! You could trying uninstalling the device and let Vista put its default driver back again.

Trist

There are no such things as "Home/ Professional Vista"!

I'm sure you got it right, but the link for 32-bit Vista is here.

Another top tip: Only ever install one driver and then rollback. If you install more than once, your old driver is gone! You could trying uninstalling the device and let Vista put its default driver back again.
Yeah sorry, I just quickly looked at the website when writing the above post and took the wrong title.

It was the link that you provided that I installed. Good tip about not installing more than one driver I’ll certainly remember it for next time!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom