1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor Help Please? Sony/Viewsonic

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by aliasojo, Jan 27, 2005.

1. aliasojo

aliasojo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Can anyone help me make a decision between the following 19" monitors please?

I'm not very techie minded when it comes to spec of stuff so I'd be greatful for any opinions.

http://www.sony.co.uk/PageView.do?s...r+Displays/Flatpanel+LCD&productsku=SDMHS94PB

and

http://www.viewsoniceurope.com/UK/Products/LCDX/VX912.htm#Specs

As far as I can make out, they are very similar but I'm not sure about the 'luminance' bit on the Sony. Is that the same as brightness on the Viewsonic?

It'll be part of a system that'll be used for gaming as well as other stuff.

Can't consider any other monitor, must be one of these two. Also difference in price isn't a consideration.

Thanks in advance if anyone can advise in anyway.

2. aliasojo

aliasojo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    :hiya:

Are you lot not talking to me 'cos I'm new........or does no-one around here have an opinion? ;)

3. Derek22

Derek22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi,

cat help dont have any experience of these, but if you dont get any responses may be try Entertainment PCs & Computer hardware forum on this site. From my short experience on these forums people are very quick to help IF they can help, so dont be put off.

4. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I'd say they're much of a muchness for the most part, but there is one critical difference. The Sony uses X-Black (or X-Brite, as it's sometimes called). This improves the contrast of the display considerably (blacks look great, and it gives a really punchy picture), but this is at the expense of screen reflections.

It's something you really need to see for yourself to decide if it's an issue. If you have a local Sony centre, they should have some X-Black models on display. Well worth popping in to take a look to get an idea of what the screen glare is like - some people find it quite distracting.

As Derek suggests, try the PC forum. You'll probably get more response in there.

Cheers, Carl.

5. aliasojo

aliasojo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Great, thank you for replies. I was beginning to feel really left out, lol.

With regard to the screen glare - that didn't occur to me, thanks for making me aware.

I'll go see the PC forum that you mentioned, thanks again.

6. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    Can't comment on these two specifically but I've had 2 Viewsonics now for about 5 years between them and they've been excellent with no dead pixels etc. Also their support people are excellent.

I don't play games so can't comment from that perspective.

afterthought:
    the screen resolution generally doesn't change as you go from 17" to 19" so instead of an improvement in screen appearance the 19" will just display the same thing slightly larger - from my POV that means the extra cost of a 19" isn't worth it. YMMV

Also consider that any TFT viewable area will be larger than an equivalent CRT so a 17" TFT is probably the same size as a 19" CRT. HTH

7. aliasojo

aliasojo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks Tenex. I'd never heard of Viewsonic before now but then that's not really surprising.

Since asking around, a number of people seem really happy with their Viewsonic monitors. So far I've read more stuff about faulty/dead/stuck pixel probs with Sony rather than Viewsonic, which surprises me tbh. I always though Sony were top of the heap when it came to quality, but I'm not sure that's the case anymore?

With regard to the size thing, the 19" is a standard supplied with the system spec I'm ordering. There is an option to upgrade but not downgrade, if you see what I mean.

Think the 19" may be better anyway though, as Son who will also be using the system doesn't have the strongest vision in the world.

Thanks again for all opinions.

8. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should go with the Sony. X-Black (X-Brite) screens are awesome, and are well worth the extra money.