Monitor for Xbox one

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by Gazaman, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Gazaman

Gazaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Hi all
    I'm on the look out for a monitor for my xbox one and have been directed here from the members from the xbox section.
    I don't really want to spend more than £140ish and mainly play fps.
    Here is my original thread if anybody in the know could have a look and advise
    TV or Monitor? | AVForums

Cheers
    Gaz

2. VEGACORTEZ

VEGACORTEZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Hi,
    At that price something about 23" would be all you can afford i reckon. I have an IPS 23" monitor the AOC i2369vm which is around £130 at Currys. It has a matte screen and out of the box settings with some tweaking look great (2.2 gamma, great white balance and brilliant colours). The overdrive on medium gives good response times and the scaling of 720p content is very sharp and clear for those non 1080p games like Dead rising 3 as the xbox scaling makes games look oversharpened and nasty. The actual input lag is under 5ms and using a Leo Bodnar device to measure lag and response times together it measures 9.5ms, basically as good as it gets for lag. You just have to set your xbox one or for that matter a PS4 to hdmi RGB full range output as monitors expect this and not limited range.
    Websites you could check out are pcmonitors.info tftcentral.co.uk to get an idea about the monitor market. You could ask on the pcmonitors.info forum the guy there is very knowledgable and helpful.

3. Gazaman

Gazaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Cheers mate,thanks for taking the time for that write up.
    Are IPS monitors better for gaming then? I've only just heard of them to be honest. And am I right in thinking if the product description doesnt state IPS then it actually isnt?
    I was looking at a couple at pc world with no mention of IPS
    ACER S240HLBID Full HD 24" LED Monitor Deals | Pcworld

AND
    PHILIPS 246V5LHAB Full HD 24" LED Monitor Deals | Pcworld

4. VEGACORTEZ

VEGACORTEZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Hi,
    Those two are TN panels it seems. The benefits of IPS are perfect colours, nice 2.2 flat gamma and good greyscale that is maintained at off axis viewing. Using overdrive the response times are good enough for gaming at 60hz be it at 60fps or 30fps. I have only had experience from TN on my laptop and hated the viewing angles, darker at the top and lighter at the bottom. People have complained about colours on TN specific gaming monitors as well as them having dodgy gamma. Not to say that TN cannot be okay but as IPS is available at the same price point it seems a no brainer. Unless you need to game at 120hz / 120fps on PC where the lower response times of TN on those higher hz gaming monitors would be noticeable and useful which it seems you don't do that. Other IPS monitors can match the AOC i mentioned no doubt but if you want a locally available monitor that has a great image this is a nice option at a great price. As i said the reviews on pcmonitors.info are useful, mine is reviewed there. It's tough buying a monitor as there are so many at this size but my PS4 Wii U and PS3 all look great on my AOC and the colours, greyscale and gamma look as good as my 27" 1440p PC IPS gaming monitor which cost nearly £500 so that seems a good thing to me. Only thing to watch when buying a monitor is that any can suffer from bad backlight bleed so perhaps buying it from somewhere with a good returns or swap policy is preferable. If you do opt for the AOC i can post my settings if you want. Hope this helps you.

5. Gazaman

Gazaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    I'm going for the AOC mate :thumbsup: and picking it up tomorrow so if you could post your settings then that would be great.
    I currently use a 22" LED tv so looking forward to seeing if theres a difference in quality.

Thanks again
    Gaz

6. VEGACORTEZ

VEGACORTEZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Ok, first off set your Xbox one to "hdmi RGB range full" and 1080p60hz. If there is a colour range selector change it to RGB while you set up the monitor as this is what games use. I am not sure what other options this console has as I don't own one. Then using the Xbox one web browser (I presume it has one) go to this website www.lagom.nl/lcd-test

On the monitor set everything to these settings.

Luminance
    Contrast (set to 50 initially then see below later on)
    Brightness - max
    Eco mode - standard
    Gamma - 1
    DCR - off
    Overdrive (for reducing response times/blur) - medium (use weak if you prefer but it blurs more with this setting)
    DPS - off

Image setup
    This is blacked out and can be ignored, I think it's for the VGA input socket

Colour setup
    Colour temp (see below later on)
    DCB mode - off
    DCB demo - off

Picture boost
    Bright frame - off
    all the other settings here just leave them as is.

OSD setup
    Timeout - 120
    H pos - 50
    V pos - 0
    Transparence - 25
    Break reminder - off

Extra
    Not much here to change really, if aspect ratio is changeable make sure it's on 16:9

Monitor buttons
    On the bottom of the monitor there are two arrows if you press one of these while not in the menus you get an option for Clear vision (set to off) and the other is for volume. Not sure what speaker setup if any you have. Personally I use the headphone socket on the back of the monitor to send stereo audio to my creative desktop speakers for some beefy sound.

Now there are just two important settings left to set which are Contrast and Colour temp. This is why I asked you to go to the Lagom website.

At the top you can see different test patterns to select. Click on the "Gradient (banding)" one and you will see a grayscale ramp. Now go to the colour temp selector on the monitor and select warm, normal or cool depending on how you perceive the best one to be for a natural grey colour. Each monitor is slightly different in this regard and the normal setting worked accurately for me, not too warm or too cool. Now select the "White saturation" test and turn contrast up until the last ones are merging into nothing, then down contrast gradually until you see the boxes clearly (although the last box is always virtually not perceivable) and there is no discolouration affecting the little grey squares in the boxes.
    If you want to check that the Xbox is outputting correctly go to the "black level" test and you should be able to see all the black squares although the first few will be tough to see (that's normal) and the screen should look blackish and not washed out grey and the boxes especially on the second row should be viewable.

That is pretty much it for a console that can run under hdmi full range output. You should have no issue changing the Xbox one to 720p60hz output to avoid the oversharpened scaling of the Xbox one on 720p games but you can check both ways to see which you prefer the look of.

If you want the bright parts of the image toned down a bit you can lower contrast slightly on certain games and of course lower the overdrive to weak if you come across any motion issues on any games.

I presume that the Xbox one has no issues or bugs running under hdmi full range at the moment, my PS4, Xbox 360 and PS3 don't certainly.

Hope you enjoy your new purchase and found my guide useful, happy gaming.

Regards

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  7. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,519
    Well, that's rather an exaggeration as they also depend on the quality of the screen and calibration, but the larger viewing angle that means there's no longer a visible difference between the top and bottom of the screen in certain colours is the biggest advantage on large screens.

LCDs are generally shipped with the contrast setting set to the optimal position and adjusting it either way usually reduces contrast so personally I'd leave it alone, or fiddle with it and stick it back to the setting it shipped with if you're doubtful whether your adjustments made any difference.

You will want to adjust the brightness though. The correct brightness depends on the lighting of the surrounding environment so if you're using it at different times of day or year then you'll likely need to adjust it regularly. In winter evenings though maximum brightness is likely to be too high and cause eye strain and you'll probably want closer to half brightness (which probably isn't 50 on the brightness adjustment scale as most don't dim the backlight all of the way).

8. VEGACORTEZ

VEGACORTEZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    @Gazaman

As per our conversation here are the pics to help you understand what I mean.

Dark grey band, overdrive off. Conventional trailing/smear
    dark grey OD off.png

Dark grey band, overdrive on. Almost perfect response times result. dark grey OD on.png

Light grey band, overdrive off. Conventional trailing/smear light grey OD off.png

Light grey band, overdrive on. Conventional trailing/smear gone but the overdrive is pushed too far and you can see overdrive artifacts of the light coloured variety. light grey OD on.png

Car with overdrive off/very low and some conventional trailing. Car overdrive off or very low setting.png

Car with overdrive on lower setting, almost perfect response times. Car overdrive on lower setting.png

Car with overdrive on max setting, Conventional trailing/smear gone but the overdrive is pushed too far and you can see overdrive artifacts of the dark coloured variety. Car overdrive on max.png