Monitor for use with video game consoles?

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by Lilytoby, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Lilytoby

Lilytoby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I had been looking for a cheap HD TV so that I could move my game consoles into my room, but space-wise and price-wise it seems that I would actually be better off with a monitor.
    I know that I need to find one with a low input lag and a good response time, but other than that I'm clueless. I've tried searching online but they always seem to come up with monitors that are either only available in the US or are discontinued, so I thought I would ask here :)
    I've got a budget of around £200, but can go higher if need be. I'll probably be sitting very close, so 23" or so should be big enough.
    Built in speakers would be a bonus, and a headphone jack would be great! I'd be using a PS3 and a Wii U with it mostly.
    I'd like to be able to buy it from a respected retailer, rather than from ebay or the like. And a warranty is a must!

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,518
    For a wii and a last generation playstation? I wouldn't worry about it, they're very minor effects mainly of interest to those trying to put the final polish on their graphical experience. If you're happy with the 30fps (or lower) output from many console games then they're unlikely to bother you.

I would imagine your other criteria (2x HDMI, Speakers, headphone jack) would be sufficient to narrow the field. If you're having trouble finding models then why not look at what your favourite retailer is offering that meets your criteria?

3. Lilytoby

Lilytoby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Wii U, but your point probably still stands. I was hoping for a personal recommendation, as I usually trust those more than official reviews. But I'll have a look around, thanks for the advice :)

4. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,127
    Asus MX239H is a popular display within your price range, it has dual HDMI and built in speakers. Largely positive reviews, available on Amazon UK.

It's an IPS display so you get a very nice picture from it and good viewing angles, response time would be a bit higher but unless your some sort of competitive twitch FPS gamer then I doubt you would have a problem with it.

In your price range the only other choice would a be a TN flim panel and those don't look so good. Most TV's are IPS panels of some sort.

5. Lilytoby

Lilytoby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks for the recommendation, it does look pretty good :)

6. VEGACORTEZ

VEGACORTEZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    You could check out the IPS panel AOC i2369vm £130 at currys. Reviewed on pcmonitors.info
    Under 5ms input lag, good response times with overdrive switched on and excellent image quality, matte screen and good looks. It's got 2 hdmi. The quality of scaling of 720p content is also very sharp and clear so Wii U and PS3 can look good.