Monitor calibration

barongreenback

Novice Member
Does anyone use any monitor calibration systems and what have your experiences been?

barongreenback

Novice Member
Yup - seems to be coming down in price a lot and I wondered what sort of difference it makes.

O-NO

Standard Member
I used Spyder2 for a short while but was not happy with it........sold it and bought Gretagmacbeth Eye One:smashin:

barongreenback

Novice Member
Thanks guys - I want to shoot in RAW to get the best out of my images so monitor calibration seems sensible. I just don't want to pay a fortune for it!

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
How much you spend really depends on your monitor. The better calibration tools rely on being able to adjust monitor settings in what they call pre-calibration. To do this you need to be able to set the colour temperature, and adjust contrast, brightness and the RGB settings individually.

If you can't do that and only have fixed colour temp settings then to be honest you may as well go for a cheaper calibration tool as you won't be able to use many of the features of the more expensive models. It's much better to be able to use pre-cal to adjust your monitor as that means the software won't have to mess around quite so much with your video card settings and it's LUT.

My monitor falls into this category so I went for the ColorPlus cheap and cheerful. It works perfectly well for me!!

If you want to edit pictures and want them to stand a chance of looking either half decent on someone else's PC, or want to get close to an accurate print, you simply MUST use a hardware calibration tool.

Ian.

O-NO

Standard Member
One thing that I have learnt is not to trust my Kelvin pre-sets on my MultiSync LCD 2080UX+.

For the Eye One to calibrate to find 6500K my pre-set has to be set to approx 7100K.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom