Monitor buying advice, migraine sufferer, 1080p 75hz+

CMDR Iota Spamwhistle

Standard Member
Recently built a PC and have been using my 2017 Samsung TV as a monitor. I'd used it for years for PS4 with no issues but something about 60hz, PWM brightness and Vsync (I assume) is causing me occasional eye/migraine issues when used for PC.

My GPU is GTX1660 Super so would prefer to keep gaming at 1080p just in case the card struggles at higher resolutions. I want higher refresh rates, 75hz-144hz would be ideal but I need to make certain that the monitor I buy will not have PWM, flicker or any other features that could trigger eye strain or migraines.

I mostly play Elite Dangerous, Quake Champions, old-old games and anything old or new that has zombies in it. I don't play competitively so super responsiveness is not important.

Been looking at various LG, Samsung, Gigabyte and BenQ monitors that are 27-32 inch, 1080p, 75-144hz, g-sync/freesync compatible with displayport on Amazon and Currys but I am totally lost when trying to understand which features may or may not cause migraines.

Budget is £200-£500. Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:

richardb70

Distinguished Member
Have you been monitoring your FPS when the eye problems occur? I used to get a headache when my FPS fluctuated too much on my old 1080p monitor. It wasn't necessarily sub-60 that was causing issues for me, but when FPS kept changing by more than +/- 5.

CMDR Iota Spamwhistle

Standard Member
Have you been monitoring your FPS when the eye problems occur? I used to get a headache when my FPS fluctuated too much on my old 1080p monitor. It wasn't necessarily sub-60 that was causing issues for me, but when FPS kept changing by more than +/- 5.
That makes sense. I've had much fewer eye and migraine issues with the TV since locking fps in games and Nvidia control panel to 60. Adaptive VSync seems to be a problem too, better to have the stuttering when FPS goes below 60 than to see a tearing screen. The TV's game mode seems to be kinder to my eyes than PC mode was, on PS4 I set TV to Game mode and never had any migraine problems.

I see in your sig that you use an Acer 27" with G-Sync, did that sort your headaches out?

Last edited:

richardb70

Distinguished Member
That makes sense. I've had much fewer eye and migraine issues with the TV since locking fps in games and Nvidia control panel to 60. Adaptive VSync seems to be a problem too, better to have the stuttering when FPS goes below 60 than to see a tearing screen. The TV's game mode seems to be kinder to my eyes than PC mode was, on PS4 I set TV to Game mode and never had any migraine problems.

I see in your sig that you use an Acer 27" with G-Sync, did that sort your headaches out?

Good question. The new monitor has helped, but I've also reduced settings in the past to try to keep consistent frame rates.

If the frame rates are always higher than 60 then I'm far less affected than a game hopping around between 40 and 60.

next010

Distinguished Member
This is one of those things that's really difficult to gauge because it only affects some people and in different ways.

PC monitors info has a large section on viewing comfort, the guy who runs the site responds to questions on his forum example here and here, might be worth a look or asking directly on that forum for a recommendation.

WildeKarde

I found sticking to an ips screen helped me when on pc gaming. Ive a 27" lg currenty but is only 60hz
My son has just gotten lg 27gn850 it seems pretty decent to use. 1440p with 144hz with ips screen. Also has freesync but drivers allow gsync to be used. Its a bit more pricey

CMDR Iota Spamwhistle

Standard Member
I'm looking at a LG Ultragear 27GL63T 27 Inch, it's IPS 1080p with G-sync, 144hz. Thanks next010 for the PC Monitors Info link, I'm fairly certain now that the problems were being caused by unstable frame-rates, PWM and screen tear.
And WildeKarde thanks for the recommendation on LGs, was looking at a Samsung G5 until I looked into the ultragear monitors, found the G5 is a VA panel and I'd rather not take the risk of getting strain from the higher contrast and possible ghosting that could happen with them.

Continued using the Samsung TV and I haven't had another migraine this week but I'm also doing everything else to prevent them (water, eating, exercise, taking breaks).

When 30 series (or later) cards are easier to get hold of I'll be getting a 1440p or 4K monitor to go with it so that's another round of headache to look forward to yay.

huxley

Have you tried some ambient lighting? Led s on the back of the screen worked wonders for my eye strain during extended gaming sessions.

CMDR Iota Spamwhistle

Standard Member
Yes and it helps a lot, a white LED strip that runs from back of the TV then across the top of my room along a shelf. I used to be able to play in the dark all the time but recently it's risky.

CMDR Iota Spamwhistle

Standard Member
Quick update, I bought the LG Ultragear 27GL63T last Wednesday and have been using it lots. No migraine or eye strain at all so far. When I was using the TV as a monitor I sometimes felt like I was going to be sick and had to stop playing but all of that has stopped now with a proper monitor.
Games run better and look a lot better now too.

Quite sure that using the 2017 Samsung TV as a PC monitor was causing the problems.

The latest video from AVForums

LG SP11RA Soundbar Review Coming Soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom