1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor Audio

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by apwood, Jun 18, 2003.

1. apwood

apwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone here have Monitor Audio speakers in their set-up?

I would like to upgrade my front three speakers, starting with the centre. Monitor Audio's Silver LCR looks like a nice speaker, but I've found no reviews of it anywhere.

I know MA make nice speakers generally (my brother-in-law has Studio 20SEs) but I don't know if they're much good where home cinema is concerned. Would appreciate some help!!

2. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi there

Will try not to get too enthusiastic but you could do an awfull lot worse !!

If you consider used or ex-dem then the Gold Ref's are in reach and are really superb, seen the centre for £329. They don't seem to get that many reviews but when they are the review always seems positive. The Silvers are also great so go for it!

The 20SE's are a classic and have been used in quite a few reference systems, used to often see them mentioned in magazine reviews of other kit..

What's the rest of your system? What are you thinking of for L/R? Help's people to give advice.

Gus

3. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    I have Monitor Audio Silver 1 fronts and SLCR centre and think they great - very clear, fast and dynamic sound that's suitable for home cinmea. Their finishing is very nice too - I opted for black ash to match the rest of my kit. There're a few reviews of the silver series on the MA website, but not one of the centre. As good as they are, I'll be upgrading to some Dynaudio speakers soon so I may have to part with the Monitor Audios.

4. apwood

apwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you both of you.

I'm currently using a B&W CC3 as my centre and some Sony SS176E floorstanders as my L and R. Ideally I'd like to replace the whole lot.

I just noticed that Monitor Audio produce a pretty comprehensive range of AV speakers and I know how good the 20SEs are so I thought I probably couldn't go far wrong.

I was thinking of Silver S6 floorstanders as a front L/R upgrade.

I am awaiting delivery of a Pioneer 2011, and I'd like to make the most of it when it turns up.

Jon Wood

5. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi

Consider B&W 603 S3 and LCR60 or 600 as an alternative, they are very good for AV especially if you do not have a sub.

Ex-dem GR10's are in range but you would need decent stands as are ex-dem floorstanding S8's. £600 ish.

What are you using for rears and do you have plans for a sub?

Also try and get a dem as they sound very different, not heard the Sony's so can't say how they would compare.

Gus

6. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I'm being a bit naughty here because I haven't demoed either the MA speakers or the Pioneer amp :blush: , but going by several different reviews AND being familiar with other similar products in the Pioneer and MA ranges, I would warn about the following:

Pioneer family sound is on the bright side and MA Silver range have alloy tweeters/cones: a union of these two could lead to a brighter, harsher sound than you might like - a demo must be considered essential IMO.

7. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I have Monitor Audio speakers in my set up and I think they sound great.
    They are very good for both movies and music.

8. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Folks
    I too have the monitor audio s1 bookshelf speakers and silver lcr centre and they do sound very good with both music and movies.
    As for them sounding bright i had the mission m71is and m7c2 centre before i upgraded and these were much brighter sounding than the monitor audios and they didnt use alloy coated drivers. also the speakers need running in for around 30 hours to hear the best from them.
    Gonzo.:)

9. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Easy guys, I'm not knocking MA speakers! I simply said the Silver 6's MAY sound bright with Pioneer kit. Soundstyle uses Arcam and Gonzo has NAD, both well-known to have a warmer family sound. Also Gonzo, your MA's are a big step up from Mission's budget range.

10. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I recall correctly What Hi-Fi's old reference system was a CDM/DAX/8000Q/and four MX's, with the MA 20SE's.

Audiolabs are very detailed, but wouldn't say bright. So probably a few good system for well recorded CD's. But put on Oasis and your ears will bleed.

11. apwood

apwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using Sony 176Es as the rears, too, with some KEF Coda 7s waiting to be plugged into my Pioneer to be used as a Surround Back pair.

I know people are quite sniffy about Sony speakers, but they've served me well for a good few years now, so ideally I'd like to replace the front three speakers, move the Sonys to surround back and have four Sonys at the rear.

I do have a Sub - a Sony(!) SA-W101. I'd like to replace this with something from the REL range in the long-term, but it's not a priority.

Jon

12. apwood

apwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whilst I'm here, didn't Audiolab become TAG? Only my main hifi is comprised of TAG amps and Castle Speakers - they seem to complement each other nicely.

J

13. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah Tag bought out Audiolab a few years ago. The prices increased roughly 20-25% though. :( and some people have said the Audiolabs are better- and some say the Tag's are better. Castles (and Ruarks ) are pretty neutral so should match well.

My dealer recommends using higher output & high current amps with MA, they lap up the power (will be fine with lower power amps, but perform better biamped)

14. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    I've a Pioneer 2011 driving the Monitor Audio silver fronts and centre, so I'm in a position to answer the question about brightness. IMHO, this combination does lean towards the bright side, though not to the extent of being harsh sounding. They're certainly not a problem with movies where I have no hesitation when turning up the volume to near reference levels. For stereo music, I now use an Arcam integrated amp which does produce a noticeably warmer and more detailed sound than the Pioneer.

15. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Nothing wrong with your Sony's ;) , I remember them getting well recieved a while back, I think they are actually a UK design? Should be fine for the back 4.

As you have a HiFi then I wouldn't worry abouth the 2011 sounding a bit bright with MA's and I would go with the silvers or golds.

I like the REL subs, you would notice a big step up swapping the Sony for a used Q or ST series.

Gus

16. apwood

apwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I originally bought them on the strength of a What HiFi? review and a dem down at my local Sony centre. Yep, they are a British design.

Think I'll arrange a dem of some MA and B&W speakers based on what you've all said.

Taking the comments about the Pioneer 2011 into account, and given that I never listen to music on my AV setup anyway, then I think I should be okay. In any case, one of the main reasons for upgrading is I don't think my current AV amp is bright enough!

17. binky

binky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was talking to my local 7oaks dealer, and he recommended the MA Silver S6 floorstanders. I listened to some CDs on the S6s with an Onkyo 700 and they sounded good.

He thought the LCR sounded rough, and rather let the Silver sound down. He said it was worth spending the extra on the Gold Centre (£500), as the centre channel is critical for HC...

18. apwood

apwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose he would say that though, wouldn't he Binky?!

Seriously though, did you listen yourself? If so, given the decent second-hand prices of the Gold LCR, it's probably worth a listen at least.

J.

19. liamjf

liamjf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Vickers Hi-fi do the Silver8is for £450. I have them and they are fantastic. Get a pair now and you can probably get a matching siver 10i centre. Actually they do a 5 speaker set for £900!
    Bargain.

20. apwood

apwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, it was a brief mention in Home Cinema Choice that got me thinking about MA in the first place. It said they do an AV package (minus a sub) for £1000 but I can't find any mention of it on their website. Is that the one you meant? How can the S8 be less than the S6 by the way?

21. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I was on the lookout for a second hand gold centre (£329 - 399) but couldn't find one in the right colour but I managed to pick up a brand new one for £374 (along with the GRFX rears :smashin: ). Only problem I will have is the extended burn in time to match the rest of the kit ........

22. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    He was talking about 8i's, the predecessor to the current silver range.

23. apwood

apwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, sorry.

24. totem

totem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    apwood

I have monitor audios in my set up. They sound good with both cinema and music. I agree that the centre is especially good, as mentioned above. I bought them last year after listening to the silver and gold series. I preferred the GR range then, however since then the new silver series has come out, and they may be closer together in performance now. It will also depend on the size of your room. The speakers I find take about an hour to sound their best, so when audtioning best to allow for this. Also when brand new , they take a few days before you hear them at their best.

my setup: Panasonic AE300, Sony 32FQ75, Pioneer 757Ai, Arcam CD72, Denon AV 11SR, Monitor Audio GR20/Centre/10 & VDH cables

25. apwood

apwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all,

I've found a dealer on my doorstep in Maidenhead that sells MA speakers, so when funds allow, I shall be down there for a dem. They currently have a second hand gold LCR on offer for £415, but this is somewhat beyond my budget, so I may well have to settle for the Silver.

Whilst on the subject, do any of you know of a reliable source of second-hand gear, or must I just scour the hi-fi press for the best deal?

J

26. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
  27. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    No, don't settle when it comes to the centre. For me, this the most important speaker in an AV set-up. You don't want to have to struggle to hear the dialogue etc - the clearer the centre, the more you can concentrate on enjoying the film.

As I already mentioned, I just ordered a brand new Gold Ref centre for £374.99. Full warranty, nothing dodgy etc, etc and free delivery. I don't know if the company advertises the fact as they do not show the products or prices on their website - the company in question is HiFi Bitz and as far as I know they are very well recommended - one of the sponsors on this forum. Give them a call and speak to Amanda - you have to wait 7-10 days but for 25-30% discounts off the list prices, I'm prepared to wait.

Go for what you want and hold out for the Gold.

Good luck

simon

28. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +736
    I have a pair of new silver 6's and the centre, sound great for both music and movies.

Prefered them to B&W (CM4's) , especialy at lower volumes.

1st centre was a display version whilst sevenoaks got mine in, worked great, new one sounded dody on high freq's, like something on the diaphram/tearing slightly (instantly noticable).

Didnt exhibit this in sevenoaks, but we took the dem model (was new anyhow). Take ages to run in tho.

29. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    My Monitor Audio S1's and Centre are now up for sale on the classifieds forum, if anyone is interested. In as-new condition and fully run-in. :)