1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor Audio

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by cerberus, Jan 27, 2002.

1. cerberus

cerberus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to start my first setup and I’m trying to find the right speakers.

I have considered the kef eggs and the B&W 6xx series, but I recently remembered a review I read of the Monitor audio silver series.

Has anyone out there got any, or listened to them, if so what do you think of them? The build quality looks great and they claim to match the wood in each cabinet so that a pair of speakers matches each other.

Also, could anyone suggest alternatives, the MA speakers I’m looking at are

Fronts £600
    Centre £270
    Rears £300 or £350 for di/bi-polar

These prices came from Seven Oaks, and they seem to have higher prices that a lot of others (e.g. Denon 3802 RRP £800, Seven Oaks £750, others £633-650) so if you know of cheaper prices for the MAs please let me know.

Thanks

2. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    hi i was very interested in these a while ago but i didnt get much response!!

i still havent bought any thing yet i'm still pondering..

hifibitz have the monitor audio range at quite good prices

hope this helps

jason

3. cerberus

cerberus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jason,

I thought no one cared :rolleyes: I'll check them out tomorrow.

If you ever get any you'll have to let me know what they are like.

Tim

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have been a little unhappy with my Def Tech Pro Cinema speakers for a while and was thinking about returning to floorstanders.

The Monitor Audio 8i got approval from the boss due to the rather nice cherrywood cabinets so we took a ride to Sound Academy yesterday partly to see the MA and partly to try to convince her that a champagne amp would not look too out of place alongside the silver.

A couple were having a demo of some M & K speakers (as recommended by uncle eric) so we stood behind them and listened to the demo. The couple predictably wanted to watch the Matrix so I dozed for a while until they put on something sensible and was astounded at the speakers. They were so much better than mine.

After listening for half an hour I was amazed to find that we hadn't been listening to M & K at all but the same set up that we have at home.

We didn't get around to listening to the MA's but the trip was expensive anyway. The boss always thought that all subwoofers were the size of my old Q Bass and now I am under orders to get rid and buy a smaller one.

Can't be many of us that have a wife who insists on upgrading.

PS Just checked hifibitz and they are selling the 8i for the same price as Sevenoaks

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I highly recommend to try the MAs with your amplifier, if possible at home. They have a metal dome tweeter and that's not to everyones taste, especially if you have a 'bright' amplifier.
    That said I have MAs (old PMC series) in my setup and like the detailed sound they deliver.

6. le hutch

le hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive got MA Silver 9i fronts, 12i centre and Fxi rears.

They take a lot of running in and they can sound bright if not carefully partnered.

Mine are powered by an Arcam DV88/AVR100 combo which seems to suit them well.....

7. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the 4i Silver fronts, Fxi rears and 10iC centre after looking at lots of different makes.

B&Ws 602 S2 were also another posibility but the MAs cabinet colors better matched with the Boss :)

anyways, very happy with them, albeit they have not been run in at all yet, don't get much chance to watch anything during night as kids will get woken up (according to Boss again)

they also may need setting up properly with the Yam RXV1000RDS amp, but not got round to it yet :(

Gary

8. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have silver 7i's (no longer made I don't think) 12i centre but havn't got the surrounds yet, I use Boston micro VRS at the moment.

The fronts are great, sound fantastic with music as well as films, I ausditioned quite a few but bought these even though they were a bit above my budget at the time.

They can be a subtle as you need, but also go 'loud' without any adverse side effects.

The treble is crisp but not to ott, I bough the speakers Ex-demo so they had been nicely run in and were very smooth sounding with just the right amount of agression when needed.

If I had one critisism it would be the 7i's are a touch light on bass, they are single driver design and are more suited to music, I d't mind this as I have a REL Stratta III sub which make up for this. It means I can get the bass levels I want without losing any of the clarity of the speakers.

The centre is great, firmly mounted on a very solid stand it locks the dialogue to the screen perfectly!

They look nice too!

9. DRC

DRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got MA 8i 10i and Fxi not tried them as I am waiting for the Denon 3802 to arrive ( one day )

I expect to have a long run-in time before I get them sounding good (I intend to have them running none stop for 3 days or so). I also expect them to sound very different from the castle sevens + kef q95 +60 I use on the current setup.