Monitor Audio W200 (MASS 5.1 Subwoofer) auto on not working?

futureal33

Standard Member
Hello

I recently purchased a Monitor Audio MASS 5.1 system which I am really pleased with.
However, the Auto-On feature doens't appear to be working?

I have the sub connected to the LFE and also the 12v trigger input connect to my Pioneer SC-LC57 amp.

Using "always ON" it works fine... but "auto-ON" the subwoofer never turns on or off with the amp.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Trancerii

Hi, I have just bought this for a christmas present, but obviously not opened it yet. Was just wondering what this 12v trigger input is? I've only purchased the Subwoofer phono cable, so hope theres nothing i'll be missing?

Cheers

futureal33

Standard Member
It should come in the box

Basically its a cable between amp and subwoofer - that should tell the sub to turn on when the amp fires up.
Only problem is, it doesn't seem to work!

So sub is either on 24/7 (in my case) or you have to reach around the back every time you want to us it, and toggle the on/off switch

Trancerii

Ah crap!

Thanks for letting me know, i'll try remember to respond back here after Christmas Day to see how I get on with this one.

Marshall Mike

Is there a setting for using your amps trigger in the amps set up menu?

Also, with the sub using auto on, have you tried with the 12v trigger unplugged to see if the amp will switch on using the LFE input signal only? You might want to test this with music or bluray as the signal might not be strong enough with TV or Sky.

moggsy

Old thread I know, but I've got the same issue as the OP.

My speakers are hooked up to a Denon AVRX2300W (it has no 12v trigger output) so I'm relying on the sub getting the signal from the LFE connection.

I won't say it never works...occasionally, it does become active if streaming a movie from my NAS via my Nvidia Shield - but not very often, it's very hit & miss!

Was going to ring RS where I got it from, but thought I'd have dig here first to see if I was missing something obvious....

I've tried with it Auto-on and without, but it seems to make no difference as to when it wants to 'kick in'. As Mike says above, SkyQ never fires it up - 'not strong enough' signal? Surely if it's a 5.1 signal it should come on regardless..?

Marshall Mike

Old thread I know, but I've got the same issue as the OP.

My speakers are hooked up to a Denon AVRX2300W (it has no 12v trigger output) so I'm relying on the sub getting the signal from the LFE connection.

I won't say it never works...occasionally, it does become active if streaming a movie from my NAS via my Nvidia Shield - but not very often, it's very hit & miss!

Was going to ring RS where I got it from, but thought I'd have dig here first to see if I was missing something obvious....

I've tried with it Auto-on and without, but it seems to make no difference as to when it wants to 'kick in'. As Mike says above, SkyQ never fires it up - 'not strong enough' signal? Surely if it's a 5.1 signal it should come on regardless..?
Have you run the amps auto cal? What level did it set the sub at? Also worthwhile getting a Y splitter into the sub to boost the signal to the L&R inputs. That's what I done to get my Velodyne switching on automatically with weaker inputs such as Sky.

moggsy

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply.

I was a bit confuddled for a while there, as I'd been having a conversation about the issue with @Gasp3621 since posting my query above...but that's what it was - a conversation - not a reply to my question on this thread! Anyway, he suggested a few settings which I altered mine to, but it still won't auto-power up - looks like an issue with the w200 maybe?

As the OP said, it works when left on permanently - and that's what I'm going to do until next week when I'll have a chance to contact RS about this.

Cheers

Marshall Mike

I doubt it's a problem with the sub. Generally speaking, you're amp isn't giving enough juice to the sub to auto power it on. Turning the volume down on the sub and then running the amps auto cal so you have a negative number can help. You just boost the bass setting in the receiver menu to send more power to the sub to switch it on and compensate for turning the volume down. The Y splitter also helps supply more db's to the sub.