• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Monitor Audio vs Arendal Sound

AggroHD

Novice Member
Monitor Audio vs Arendal Sound

Hello! Im in the process of upgrading my system. It currently consists of Monitor Audio Silver 2 ( 8` driver bookshelf speaker) for fronts and silver 1 as surrounds. Reciever is the Denon x4200w. Have a NAD power amp i can apply.

My use is 80% movies/tv - 20 % music.

I have green go for getting towers within reasnable sizes. Originally I was going for the MA silver series 300 for fronts. I can get these for 18.000 NOK - 1800 £. But a people I know says adamantly that I have to go for the Arendal Sound 1723 tower S. They will be 23.000 NOK - 2300£. I dont have the option to demo the Arendals, only the silver 300. Ive demoed the silvers 300s I liked them, but the listening area where less then ideal. They sounded good enough.

They will go into the living room, small sized; 4x4.5 meters. Can position freely within the room. Will eventually get a center, but were only two people and will cram together in the sweetspot during movies. Works ok. Will move into something bigger within a year of two. I can not accomdate a sub for now, so the fronts will have to do the lifting.

1. is the Arendal 1723 tower S a big winner over MA silver 300?
2. Is the Denon x4200w reciever good enough to get these swinging.

Can someone with any experiences regarding these speakers please give som input?

Hixs

Distinguished Member
There is a dedicated thread for the Arendal speakers in the home cinema speakers section. Obviously their view will be biased though.

AggroHD

Novice Member
There is a dedicated thread for the Arendal speakers in the home cinema speakers section. Obviously their view will be biased though.
Rhanks for repying. Yes, I saw that. Still hoping for some unbiased opinion before moving over there.

DodgeTheViper

Can you take advantage of Arendals Buy & Try ?

TabCam

Standard Member
You can try the Arendals 1723 at home, test them for 60 days and send them back if they are less than the MA300.

I have doubts if the Denon is powerful enough for either as they dip into 3.4 Ohm territory, especially in HT setup.

The Arendals are factory sold so you could at least double their price if they were sold at local audio dealers. I expect them to be quite a step up.

You can always try if you already have it. For two channel listening maybe the Denon can keep control. And if not, maybe a local dealer can demo a more powerful AV receiver or a separate stereo amplifier to support the Denon.

I would always demo them, just for peace of mind. The Arendals seem a very good deal to me south of € 5000,- / 50.000 NOK. Especially as Arendal is in Norway and shipping costs will be very cheap.

AggroHD

Novice Member
You can try the Arendals 1723 at home, test them for 60 days and send them back if they are less than the MA300.

I have doubts if the Denon is powerful enough for either as they dip into 3.4 Ohm territory, especially in HT setup.

The Arendals are factory sold so you could at least double their price if they were sold at local audio dealers. I expect them to be quite a step up.

You can always try if you already have it. For two channel listening maybe the Denon can keep control. And if not, maybe a local dealer can demo a more powerful AV receiver or a separate stereo amplifier to support the Denon.

I would always demo them, just for peace of mind. The Arendals seem a very good deal to me south of € 5000,- / 50.000 NOK. Especially as Arendal is in Norway and shipping costs will be very cheap.
Hi and thanks for replying! Ive now noticed they have a try 60 at home policy. Guess their serious about their claims. Waiting now. I have a NAD c275bee power amp, if I remember correctly its 200 watts on tap. So i guess i can use it as my denon has pre-outs. Have to somehow lure it back into the living room. Maybe I can disguise it, hehe. And yes, Arendal send them free of charge here in Norway!

TabCam

Standard Member
The NAD C275bee has 150W continues power and 300 dynamic power into 8 Ohm. Nice is that the dynamic power almost doubles to 410W into 4 Ohm and still increases to 600 into 2 Ohm. NAD is always a little on the conservative side with their specifications.

You could try it with the Denon first, let yourself cat acclimatized to the sound of the Arendals and then insert the NAD to see if you hear improvements.

I eagerly await your review.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom