1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor Audio speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Jens, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Jens

Jens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a problem, I can't make up my mind. I have read all the Monitor Audio threads on this forum at least once, if not twice or more.

Yes - I know, you can't read yourself to what to buy! But I really have no chance of listening to the speakers myself, I live close to the polar circle! ;)

To the problem, Monitor Audio speakers seem to fit me sound-wise (yes - from what I've read). My living room is pretty small, 3x3m-ish and it's got five walls (thank you, modern architecture), therefor I chose to go for bookshelf speakers. MA B2's as fronts, the B1's as rears and the Bronze center as center. I am also going to buy a subwoofer, I just don't know which one yet (more decisions - I hear REL make good movie/music subs?).

I can get the Bronze-system for £550 here in Sweden.
    Now, that's a little bit under my budget, so I have also been looking at a system consisting of S1's, B1's and the SLCR, I'm paying £750 for that 5.0 setup. I chose the S1's as fronts as I've read that many people prefer them ahead of the larger S2's?

I have a Yamaha RX-V740 to run the speakers with, is it perhaps not good enough for the silver-series?

ANY comment to help me out is very welcome. Thanks!

2. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Jens
    The yamaha is a good enough amp for the silver series speakers which sound great,the only warning i can give you is that they need some space round them to sound there best(s1) if space is at a premium you might be better off going with the b2s which are front ported.
    PS I have owned the silver series front three.
    Cheers Gonzo.

3. Jens

Jens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gonzo,

Thanks for your input! The front speakers will not be placed close to a wall due to the shape of my room, so I guess I won't have a problem there.

However, the back speakers will be placed close to a wall, perhaps even right next to one. If the speaker is placed in line with the wall (placed on both sides of a sofa, playing towards the sofa), does it matter if it's front or back ported then? Just wondering if to go with the B2 instead of the B1 as back speakers.

4. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Hi Jens,

Are you planning on using your forthcoming new setup for mainly movies or will you listening to alot of 5.1 SACD / DVD-A material.

If Movies was your piority i would go for the BFX Rears, they really do make a difference when it comes surround you in sound.

As you can see from my Signature, i have the S1, SLCR and BFX as rears, and i'm very happy with the results.

I adutioning both the B2, S2, and S1 before purchasing and I felt the S1 were clear winners. Don't think you'd go wrong with the bronze series, but if you can afford i think the S1's are worth the extra.

As Gonzo said(you'll always find us 2 talk about these speakers;) ) the S1 do need space, when i first got mine i setup them up, and i had all tight fast bass and could hear all the different layer's to the music. But over the next few week's everything start to sound overblown, too much bass taking over, moving them away from the wall a bit more return them to there original great sound, but with improved bass extension. I love these speakers:clap:

The BFX can be mounted straight on the wall, so no rear ported related probs.

Hope this is of some help

Giz.:D

5. Jens

Jens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gizmo 76,

Yes, it was helpful, thanks!

I have decided to go for the S1's + the SLCR center.

I got myself a DVD-A/SACD-capable DVD-player so I guess I will try it out at some point, although the main use of the rear speakers will be for movies I reckon. I will consider getting the BFX's instead of the B1's/B2's.

6. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Good choice Jens:smashin:
    Gonzo.

7. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    I'm getting a new DVD player soon, so i will be trying SACD/DVD-A material as well. I'm sure the BFX rears will do resonable enough job, and i've got my sub covering the low frequencies;) . I think the BFX's are great, they were the first part of my upgrade, what ever way you choose to go, you can't go wrong. :clap:

You'll have to let us know what you think of the setup when you get your hands on everthing.

Giz.

8. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I am looking at the BFXs as rears to go with my Quad 11ls and soon to be Quad centre. My TV is in the corner with 11ls either side and the main sofa is along the longer wall (14ft) opposite the TV. Should I be looking to mount the rears on the wall with the sofa, near the ceiling at each end, of should I try to mount them on the side wall. From your experience what would be better as I would struggle to mount them on one of the side walls as there is a window in line with the sofa. Would one on the rear wall and one on the side wall work?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

9. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Rulocal
    Ive always had my rears on the back wall as i cant fit them on the sides as my sofa is against the back wall and to my ears they sound great.If you can try them in different temporary positions(if you can fix them in position and move them without much mess)you would be able to hear yourself and make your own mind up at what position sounded best.
    Cheers Gonzo.

10. Montana

Montana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can't speak for the BFX, but it's bigger brother the SFX are absolutely fantastic.They currently sit about 6-7' behind me , and they dont sound out of place or weak there.
    So if the BFX are as good , then they are recommended :smashin:

Andy