1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor audio speaker upgrade need opinion

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by phillfyspoon, Aug 18, 2004.

1. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Im thinking of upgrading my monitor audio s1 fronts to something around
    £750-950 but i dont know if the upgrade would make a big difference in sound because i have a sub that handles freq below 80hz so would a big pair of floorstanders make a difference in the other freq. I have my eye on the monitor audio s8's and the b&w 604 s3 and the kef q7.

2. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Take a look at the Sensys & Eyris range from Tannoy and the Ruark Prelude 2.

Of those you've mentioned I'd take the B&W's for their all-round capabilities and looks.

DT

3. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Why bother with floorstanders when your sub takes care of the lows? £950 would get you a very good set of bookshelf speakers. Check out MA Gold series, Dynaudio Audience 52SE, AVI or perhaps even the baby B&W Nautilus if you are feeling flush. :)

4. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    that sounds cool so would a £900 bookshelf handle the mid and highs well? I thought floorstanders did it them good?

5. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    A £900 bookshelf speaker is likely to have better quality components than a £900 floorstander - increased cabinet costs for the bigger speaker mean lower quality components may be neccessary.

Floorstanders don't go much lower than bookshelf models (in the same range) anyway. Besides, shouldn't your sub be crossed over around 80htz? Most bookshelf speakers play 80htz with no trouble at all.

6. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Good point, nobber.

MA GR's or Dynaudio 52's - both very tasty indeed.

Personally, I hate music through subwoofers and would sell it, spending the extra cash on better floorstanders instead!!

DT

7. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    would the monitor audio gold gr20 be much better then the silver s1?

8. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    The GR1's would be all the monitor audio s1's and more. They still have the sound of MA that you obviously like. The base extension is better, the sound stage is bigger and the mid range is smoother. I think the biggest improvment would be in the treble. better drivers and a more solid cabinet design mean much better control.
    All in all a very nice speaker. However to get the best out of them you need some good quality gear behind them.
    What are you using?

9. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    right now it is more a home cinema setup using a denon 3805 av reciever and a sony ns930 dvd player. but i love my music as much as movies. I know u hifi people wouldnt welcome this setup. but im think of getting a mid range cd player as well for around £300. but i do like the MA sound it is very detailed.

I think the denon in pure direct mode has very good stereo performance.

oh and I was planing to use the s1's as side rears. in 7.1

10. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    You may also like the PMC DB1's (£499) retail. Again a very nice speaker. I actually think this is the better of the 2 speakers. Although I like the Monitor Audio sound the transmission line design of the DB1 is quite an eye opener. With a good set of stands these would really work well. They're quite a bit smaller than the Gr1's but pack a similar punch, The sound stage is very impressive easily the match of the GR1.
    I know I'm diversing but I once did some blind tests comparing the s6's (Which I still have) to the GR20's. The GR20's were better most of the time, for certain music I actually picked the s6's as the better speaker! Generally better base extension and control, bigger sound stage smoother highs and more rounded mid range But it wasn't a unanimous decision. They were better BUT not one and a half times the price better. Does this mean the Gold range isn't very good? No it just means the Silver series is very good.
    Another plus would be you would have a bit more cash for a better CD player to really make them sing! Exposure 2010 would sound fantastic.....

11. hazard

hazard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was lucky enough to get a bargain pair of MA Gold Ref 60s a few months ago. I upgraded from MA Silver 9i's (older model, equivalent to the S8 I think?)

What a difference - much more presence, much more detail yet much smoother. These babies will be prised from my cold dead hands.

I actually hesitated before buying, as they were really very big and heavy. I wondered if I needed such big speakers. If I could go back in time I would slap myself for even that moment's indecision. :zonked:

12. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    ok went to audio-t demoed pmc gb1 (£995) dynaudio 52se (£950) and the audio vector mi1 (£900) it was me and mum and dad we listened to all speakers using two tracks as a referance it came down to the vectors and dynaudio finally the dynaudio had it agreed by us all. Then just about to buy them i saw my monitor audio s1's. so i said lets listen to them. and instantly they were better agreed by us all. so left with nothing happy with my MA s1's.

i cant believe the £300 was better then these high end studio monitor speakers. we listen to them for about 1 hour. then the MA came on and sounded way better

13. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Phillfyspoon,
    Worrying isn't it? I've done that with a lot of speakers. You will find the monitor Audio silver range hard to beat. If you can, check out the PMC's that I mentioned. I doubt you'll be dissapointed.

14. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I couldnt believe it after listening to five sets of high end monitor speakers including dynaudio 52se at £950 and the £300 monitor beat them all no question. after about an hour of listening to 2 tracks they all seemed very alike but it must be the metal woofer and aluminuim tweeter in the MA's that made it instantly come to life my dad said before I pressed play which ones are these? i said these are the ones i have they are £300 he laughed and said they cant be as good and as soon as the track played the sound was an instant hit everyone one shouted thats better. the sound came out much more and i have no doubt in my mind that it sounded so much sweeter and detailed. monitor audio are so hard to beat i dont think i need another speaker. at any price