1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor Audio Speaker/Sub package: Radius range

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Brookes2002, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Brookes2002

Brookes2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

Has anyone had a demo of, or own the Radius range of Monitor Audio Speakers (it is a sat/sub combo)?

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/radius/

I would be very interested in any opinions on the Hi Fi audio quality and home cinema quality?

I have a demo arranged at Sevenoaks next friday to compare against the B&W 600 Series 3, which I have previously heard and was intent on buying up until today, but the guy in the shop said they were excellent and knocked the socks off similar packages e.g. Kef eggs.

I was having second thoughts about the B&Ws due to their size and base, so the speaker/sub set up seems a good second option.

Thanks.

2. YS-YS

YS-YS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MA Radius is a sub sat, its very good.
    but it is a sub sat package and wont compare to a B&W 600S3 setup.
    you might want to try a MA Silver/Bronze setup to compare to the B&W's.
    enjoy your demo :).

3. happychappy

happychappy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

4. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

5. ahh

ahh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I auditioned the Monitor Audio Radius vs. Kef Eggs 2005.2 a little while ago.

For me the Radius package was a clear winner over the Eggs for HT as well as music.

6. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh,
    Thanks. I suppose what I'm getting at is this: Is it, in your opinion, worth the extra money (about 250 notes for me) if I've ALREADY stretched my budget to try and accomodate the eggs (~£750) here in Northern Ireland? Unfortunately I don't know anywhere around me that sells the radius yet to demo it to see for myself.
    Cheers,
    Jim

7. happychappy

happychappy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

8. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mate. That does help. So, the question I suppose I've got to decide now is, if I've only got enough money to afford the eggs, if I'll be happy. The main concern I had was with the centre for dialogue etc. duties, as you suggest. I also believe this is important. Maybe I'll have to go have another demo to satisfy my concerns.
    Or, the other option, of course, is whether I should try and keep saving to move up a notch and get the radius. Hmmm. What amp/receiver did you pair with it, did you say? And would you be able to advise me any further on my dilemma? Living in N. Ireland, I don't have access to a demo of the Radius system.

Cheers.
    J

BTW: have you heard the B&W VM1 or whatever their sub sat system's called? What do you think of it in comparison?

9. happychappy

happychappy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi J
    The amp that I had my direct comparison audition with was the new Yamaha RX-V1400RDS one of the first THX amps from Yam...(they have given in and paid the subs to club THX at last) but the amp that they will be used with is an old Yam DSP- A2.
    I have not listened to the B&W VM1 sub/sat system, it was on my shortlist but I was told that they are not quite as good as the
    "eggs" and after listening to the MAs I kind of forgot about them unusual for me as I do usually like the B&W family group sound.
    The best advise that I can give you is to have as many demos as you can and NEVER buy without listening and if you decide to go for another dem always leave it a couple of days so that you are hopefully impressed all over again, we all have our own preferences no two pairs of ears are the same choose what YOU like, at the same time if it means that going up to the next price bracket means a long time saving up/larger amount to borrow (I know that most shops do o% but it does have to paid back at sometime!) then go with what you can afford and treat yourself to another dvd rather than stretch yourself too much and cant afford to buy dvds for a while remember I know it is very important to get the sound right but sometimes we can become victims of our own greed and forget about the original purpose I.E. playing dvds
    Whatever you decide to do I wish you luck I know it is nice to get a second opinion but in the end it really is all down to your own ears (oh and the "other halfs" etc)
    :)

10. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.
    J

11. Brookes2002

Brookes2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Finally had my demo of the M/A Radius Range on Friday afternoon at Sevenoaks. Absolutely fantastic! I was in there for about 2 and half hours and changed them over several times between the B&W 600 S3 series. I was amazed at the sound quality in comparison to the B&Ws, not just for Audio but Home Cinema too. They were connected to a Pioneer Ax5i via Co-Axial digital cable. The difference in size was incredible, and most definitely wife friendly but at no significant loss of quality! Not to my ears anyway.

Ordered them there and then and they got delivered today.

Would definitely recommend them as the best sub/sat range I have heard in that price bracket.

12. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    What's the best price that the Radius package can be found for?

The lowest I've seen so far is £980 compared to £650 for the eggs. Can the Radius package be found for around the same as the eggs? (I'm thinking that I can get a lot of DVDs for £300!)

Thanks,

Balders.

13. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Where can the eggs be bought for 650?

Thanks

14. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Brookes2002, which models in the B&W 600 series did you demo them against?

MuFu.

15. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Here:

http://www.creative-audio.co.uk

in-store only.

Balders.

16. Brookes2002

Brookes2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    MuFu,

The B&W S3 package consisted purely of speakers i.e. no sub, as my budget was only £1000. The B&Ws may have sounded significantly better than the M/As had a sub been present, but as I couldnt afford it then I didnt include it in the demo.

The B&W rears were the small DM600s, fronts were the 603s and centre was the LCR60. I tried two amps during the demo, the Pioneer Ax5 and the Denon 3802, both of which performed well with both sets of speakers. 5-channel stereo for CD was excellent.

The M/As astounded me with the sound quality given their size. Excellent value for money, and you can control the base so much better using the M/A sub compared to the B&Ws. If I had the space and money to afford the B&Ws plus the ASW then who knows! But pound for pound the M/As won me over easily.