1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor audio silver speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by newbie265, Sep 7, 2004.

1. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am having a demo next week at sevenoaks hi-fi with the following equipment
    denon3805,denon dvd2900, pioneer ax5i and dvd 868 roksan kandy 111 cd and amp.
    The speakers i am not so sure about they are recommending moniter audio silver s6 or s8's for fronts silver slcr centre and silver s1's for the rears.
    Question is has anyone got these speaker and your thoughts?,if i am not sure about these could you suggest some alternatives.
    Would like them to be both musical and good for films obviously.
    I will purchase a sub from svs not sure which one yet
    many thanks

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I used to own the Monitor Audio s6's & also the Silver Centre but i had the SFX for the rears, these were connected to a Pioneer AX5i and sound was very good indeed for both music and films, i personally felt that it was a very good combination, i suppose for alternatives speaker wise there is the B&W 600 s3 speaker set, i also had these before the Monitor Audio's but prefered the sound of the MA's.
    Have the dem's and see what you prefer but it will be a very good setup whatever you choose from your list :cool:

John :)

3. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Newbie,
    I'm not into the surround sound thing so I can only advise on 2 channel audio and the few times i've demoed surround equipment.
    Not too sure what are you looking for? You have a combination that will be CD only and the rest are DVD combo's. If you listen to CD's on them the Roksan Candy will be better than any of the DVD players for CD playback. DVD players in that price range cannot compete with a dedicated cd player.
    If your listening to CD combinations you should try the following:
    Exposure 2010 + Integrated amp.
    Rega Planet + Mira integrated
    Quad also do the CD99 which is well rated.
    Naim Nait5i CD + Integrated amp.
    I'd be surprised if you went for the Roksan after listening to any of the above.
    The MA silver series has had very good reviews in surround setups.
    Depending on what overall sound your looking for (You have some quite different systems to listen to) as to whether they would be a good choice. With the wrong equipment the bass can lack a bit of control (This can be controlled a little by putting in the port bungs) and the highs a little bright. Metal dome tweeters can take some getting used to. On the whole compared to other speakers in this price range the MA's are reasonable to look at, have very high build quality and perform well with all kinds of music. All in all, a good bet. They do need quite a bit of room to breath, the floorstanders are rear ported so you can't place them to close to the walls. Corners are a definate no-no!
    I would say go for the s6's unless you have a big room, especially if your looking to add a sub. The S8's just have a bit more weight in the base department and a more full midrange due to the larger cabinet but the sound is very similar.
    The only other one to look for (A bit dearer and requiring a bit more power) is Quad.
    A 21L Floorstander, 11L Rears and centre would set you back about £1400. A good improvement over the MA's but possibly not the best match for the equipment you've mentioned.
    Personally I think you'll be hard pressed to beat the MA silver series. I still have a set of S6's I had to spend a considerable amount of money to get anything really noticeably better. For once the reviews are pretty accurate! IMHO.
    Good luck.
    www.quad-hifi.co.uk
    Rel Acoustics Quake is one of the better subs i've heard.

4. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sory should have said intending to buy the cd and amp as well as the surround setup and use the preouts ,so wasn't intending to use dvd player for cds.I do want to use sacds though.I'l looking around 1500ish for the speaker set up.

5. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    OK,
    If you can run to it try and listen to the exposure 2010 Integrated and 2010 Power amp and either the 2010 CD or the Quad99. I know it's a bit more than your looking to pay but with a bit of haggling and the savings you'd make on the speaker package the overall improvement in performance would be worth it. It's better to have a bit more power to your speakers than dearer speakers underpowered. The exposure equipment is a perfect match for MA. Also the Silver series are cabable of a lot more than there price tag suggests. You could of course do the same with Roksan equipment if you find you like it.

6. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Monitor Audio Silver's are very nice with Marantz sound!

I herad S1 with Marantz Sr54000 and I loved it!

Hear them and see if the extra Denon brightness vs Marantz can match the MA Silver also bright sound.

7. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was in my local Sevenoaks the other week asking about speakers - I got the Denon 3805 a few weeks ago from somewhere else. My local said they would always recommend B&W with Denon. The place I bought my amp said MA silver and they did sound good - Sheep by Pink Floyd was very good (I think we are all sheep on here!!). I've not tried the B&W set up yet.

8. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm buying the S8s this week hopefully, at a bargain staff rate of £450. :p They sound pretty amazing for music through my Yamaha 1400RVX amplifier, and also sound damn good for films.

I had the Bronze series before this, I can't recomend these enough.

9. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the replys (nice to see a fellow floyd fan,will be getting dark side sacd to demo next week).Unfortunately my floorstanders will have to go near the walls,can't do it any other way so will have to use the foam they come with.My room size is 12 by 30 ,listening area 12 by 14 if that helps.Do you think the s8's would be too much for that room?Also can anyone recommend which svs would be best ?

10. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    In that size room the S8's may be a bit too much. Bear in mind also the extra driver that has to vent. The bigger the drivers are the less they'll like being near a wall.

11. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Why don't you try to listen something not rear ported for that room?

AE Elite 3, Kef Q7, Focal Chorus S or Wharfedale Pacific Evo? :rolleyes:

Anyway if you stay with MA stay with the S6...

12. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I was recently demoing some speakers for my front three, during which time, I listened to Quad11L+centre, MA Silver S1 + Gold Centre (see below).

Basically, I was hanging my entire front three on the capabiities of the centre. I was concerned that the Silver centre was not in line with the rest of the range, so I tried the S1's with a Gold centre. For some reason, I found the Gold dissapointing considering the cost of it, but the S1's were great. Up front and brighter than neutral, they are pretty good for pacy music. Quads were alright, but nothing special, sounding recessed somehow and not as exciting to listen to than the S1's. Admittedly all these were demoed through an Arcam AV pre/power setup with a M&K 125 sub providing bass.

To sum up: if you like a dry fast delivery in sound, then the Silver range is fantastic. If you like a warmer sound, then something like a Castle system would do with Quad falling in between.

Russell

13. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Russraff,
    Funny you should say that about the golds. I found the same. My conclusion was that the golds are very good speakers but the S6's are outstanding! Difficult to justify the extra money for just a bit more....
    I think the quads would benefit from a brighter system than the arcam. I think I last heard them with a naim system. Very nice sound, definitely a musical speaker.

14. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    The Quad's were auditioned in a different shop, driven by a passlabs poweramp, musical fidelity pre amp and Inca Katana CD player. The Quad's were okay, but there was something missing: a lack of clarity, perhaps? Whichever it is, I instantly liked the S1's better.
    I have also auditioned some Epos speakers, too, and they were pretty good. but, the very best speakers that I have heard, are M&K 850's. Don't think that these speakers are bright, as they aren't (definately less so than the previous 750 range). So, I may be getting the M&K's, but not after an audition of some Ruark Etudes and Dialogue centre. Dunno what to expect from them.

Russell

15. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Russraff,
    At the risk of hijacking this thread a little. If you can take a listen to the PMC range. A bit dearer than the quads but a far superior speaker.
    Have fun..