1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor Audio - Silver Series

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Scotty Boy, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hey folks.

Has anyone ever had any impressions of these? Or even owned any? I've been very impressed with my Bronze series, running through my Yamaha 1400RDS. And was looking to upgrade, to possibly the silver series in the future. I'd want these speakers to see me through this amp, and onto my next amp. Maybe even a power amp.

Also, does anyone know any good online retailers for Monitor Audio Speakers? I've found a couple of seriously cheap online shops for Amps, like my Amp for £599. And it's £650 on AV land, and £800 in any normal shop. I'm hoping to find these kind of mega good prices on some speakers too.

Thanks very much.

Scott. :)

2. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    By the way. I was looking at the S5s as the rears, and S8s for the fronts. And would love to hear some impressions. I can't seem to find the S8s for cheaper than £800 anywhere online!

Cheers.

3. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've found out I can get the Silver S8s, which retail for £800, for £650. So i'm pretty certain i'm going to go for these. Seven oaks are selling the S6s for £600, so for the extra £50 I could have the S8s!

Just looking for some impressions, so I know i'm making a good decision.

4. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    No impressions at all?

5. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Hi im love monitor audio there sound is so detalied. I have the s1 fronts and the clarity is amazing and the sound is good for home cinema if you have crossover to a sub. the s8 is a big step up from the s1 with a wider freq range so should sound great. IMO monitor audio are the best speakers for there price. You could spend double and get equal performance. Also this is reflected in reviews. Bronze series has best buy 5 stars, the s1 got 5 stars the s8 5 stars. in what hifi and hifi choice mags. I have no doubt the s8 is a good buy.

6. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I demoed the s1 againt b&w, Wharfedale and quad. There are plenty of monitor audio fans on this forum. With 3 people who agreed on the monitor audio even though it was the cheapest.

7. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ScottyBoy,

I owned the s6's for my fronts and the SLCR for the centre with the SFX at the rears and i have to say they were very good speakers for the money, they are very musical and also very effective for home cinema. I was running them off my Yamaha DSP-Z9 and they sounded controlled at all volume levels.
    Monitor Audio make very good speakers but unfortunately i don't think you will be able to get them much cheaper online if at all, unless you can get some Ex Dem or second hand. i never heard the s8's but i would say they would go deeper than the s6's and they did go low for such a small cabinet.

John :)

8. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I'm also considering MA Silver for my medium-term investment in AV/Music upgrade.

I'm thinking of 2xS2 + SLCR + 2xS1, S6 would be a nice choice but are too big and too expensive for me...

Do you think this is a good option a for a music oriented AV system and would play nice without a sub? :)

9. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Falp,

That would would be a nice setup for music but if you want to watch films aswell i would get a decent sub to go with it, the s2's are not capable of produceing low bass and for films it's a must :)

John

10. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I could get a Rel Quake, but then I would prefer to spend the extra money in a pair of S6... :cool:

11. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

The s6's are nice apeakers but in terms of what you want i would still include a decent sub, try and get a demo of the s6's and the s2's + a sub then make your mind up and see what you prefer, dont forget it's all down to what sounds good to you and not anyone else. :)

John

12. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I'm still thinking about S2 fronts and maybe S1 rears.

But... my AV furniture doesn't have the size to fit a Silver SLCR center...

I have 49.5cm no acomodate a 50cm speaker... :-(

Would the Bronze center be an option?

13. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hey, thanks for the impressions.

I'm actually going to get the Silver S8s, brand new, for £650. Sounds like a damn good buy to me. :)

Cheers lads.