Monitor Audio Silver-Radius Faux Pas?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by DFL, Jul 12, 2005.

1. DFL

DFL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well, I finally bit the bullet yesterday and bought the Monitor Audio Silver S6 floorstanders. They sound great even though I demoed them in a crappy little store.

Then I went a bit crazy and bought a MA Radius 180 (as a centre) and 2 MA Radius 90's (as rear speakers). I thought that they matched up ok aurally by my non audiophile ears. So I have 5 of the 5.1 now and a great pair of stereo speakers to boot.

I just bought an apartment so I;m going to get the guys to bury all the wires and put those cool bananna sockets in the wall so I can plug my speakers straight into the wall. And bought several metres of Gale cable and gold plugs. All in all the total cost was 1286 Euro plus a guaranteed discount on the sub when I decide what to get.

(Interesting story from salesman yesterday said he sold the Bronze ASW 100 Sub as part of a B4 set the other day to a blindman who returned 3 different subs complaining of a rattle and poor sound (ie it wasn't a fault but inherent in them all) and thought the Radius sub was excellent with the Bronze AV set up)

Hopefully I won't be disapointed with the Radius speakers in addition to the Silver series speakers. Any opinions - is it a major faux pas in hifi land?

2. DFL

DFL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well, I finally got these going. I have a brand spanking new apartment so I spent a day with the people laying my floors and hiding all my speaker cables. I have used QED 25th aniversary silver wire speaker cables. I am currently biwiring them to my Marantz 5300.

It sounds great! These speakers are a lot meatier than their replacements -the radius series, not to say the radius are bad, but these S6's are just fabulous. Highly recommend them. Oh, and I got them for 600 euro, which is about £400 from my local hi fi store. I think they're going for similar prices at RS. Definately worth a look into for first time speaker buyers on a budget as they are worth £800 brand new I think.

Cheers and almost deaf.
    Darren

3. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Darren,
    The S6's are a lovely speaker. Very underated. They used to retail at about the £600 mark. But you still got a bargain. Placement is important as they do require room to breathe. Worth playing with the port bungs as well to fine tune them.

4. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yes, there are quite a few good deals to be had on Monitor Audio at the moment as the S* series has been replaced by the RS* series.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    As salesmen's yarns go, this one is up there with the best of them :D