Monitor Audio Silver package demo - advice needed!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by SI1977, May 6, 2007.

1. SI1977

SI1977
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I Went to Seveoaks Hifi to demo the following package for my cinema room.

2 x RS6 fronts
    RS-LCR Centre
    2 x RS-FX Rears
    RSW-12 Sub
    Yamaha RX-V1700 Amp

To be honest I am not that experienced with home cinema, this is my first dedicated room I am buying for but I was blown away by what I heard. I realy want to achieve a room shaking home cinema feel to compliment my projector setup and I just couldn't believe how good this system sounded the bass was incredible.

My problem is that I ideally only wanted spend £1200 including amp and speakers, obviously this package is more towards £2200.

My room size is 16ft by 9ft, do I need to spend this much? I heard these powerful speakers can suffer if used in a small room.

I thought maybe the Bronze package and the Sony 1200 amp would suffice for my room size but I don't want to compromise on the room shaking abilities I heard with the silvers.

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers, Si.

2. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,372
    you'll have to pay for quality mate. you could go for the bronze series but you'll always wish you'd got the siler series!

3. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Maybe knock off the RS6 and get the RS1, for home cinema u can crossover the fronts bass to the sub, which is preferred anyway. Then get bronze rears instead of silver rears, the rears are only ambient sounds anyway so I doubt you would even notice that change.

4. NI-AVGUY

NI-AVGUY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have 3/5 of the (old) silver package in a bedroom of 13ft x 8ft. Noteably my amp is nowhere near as good as the yamaha you are interested, but still sounds absolutely amazing. I've also demd the RS 6's in work and also at a colleagues house in a smaller room, although he was running them primarily for stereo they didn't lose any characteristic until we near blew his mryrad amp. very loud!!!:D

If the budget can stretch go for the 6's, if not the RS1's are a more than suitable replacement.

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    aye, if budget is a concern i'd drop down to the RS1's....or perhaps the RS5's if they can do you a cheap enough price....

oh and if you want some room shaking bass, consider an SVS PB10-NSD or BK Monolith.....saves you a couple hundred on the sub and should outperform the MA for total output at deeper levels...(i have the SVS PB12/Plus and it spanks the hell out of the room and i paid only £100 more than the MA)

6. Hamslay

Hamslay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    OK, just to be different, I'm going to disagree. :)

Whilst I do concede that the Silvers are better than the Bronze, people work to a budget and the Bronze range is still extremely good. Faced with the same decision some week ago I went for:

2 x BR5
    BRLCR
    2 x BRFX
    SVS SB12+ sub from Power Buy
    RX-V1700

I'm very pleased with the Bronzes, and the saving over the Silvers funded the Yamaha.

With the Bronzes adding up to about £650 and the sub for £500, you're still nearly at full budget. Maybe for now you could look at a used receiver? For example, I've got a Yamaha RX-V595aRDS which is now sitting in it's box which will probably go for £40 or less. Sound-wise I can't tell much improvement now with the 1700, and my main justification for upgrading the receiver was the HDMI inputs.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

7. Tony_T

Tony_T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    To be honest, I'm not sure why you demo'd the silvers; a decent bronze setup together with an amp would easily blow the original £1200 budget.....

My speaker package went over the £1200 mark, but then I did go the 7.1 route and chose (wisely I believe) to go with the BR6's. This gives the 'room shaking' sound you're looking for, and they sound good in stereo too...

8. SI1977

SI1977
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the advice, I'm definatley going to demo the bronze MA speakers now!

Just need to research the amp and sub now!

Cheers, Si.

9. yasa22

yasa22
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you get them?
    I've ordered my BR5AV package Friday and am not sure what amp to purchase yet. (waiting for HK to release 34x in UK or may go for Yamaha RX-V1700, not sold on Sonys yet)

I heard the RS6 and Yamaha RX-V2700 together and then the BR5AV package with the RX-V1700 and I preferred the sound of the BR5AV and 1700. The only thing I would mention is the centre on the silver was definitely better, but that maybe the way the place I went to demo them had it setup.

Remember the silvers are now about 2 years old and technology moves on, I think the Bronze are a good set of speakers for the money and paired with a nice amp should sound good with both movies and sound.

10. yasa22

yasa22
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The speaker package arrived last week, set them up over the weekend and wow are they good or what? Even thought I don't have a decent AMP and am using a crappy one for now they sound excellent.

Yasa