1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor Audio Silver Impressions (S8s, S10s?)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Scotty Boy, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Looking to upgrade my Bronze series to Silvers pretty soon, and i've found some pretty good prices. I can get the S8s for £650 (RRP £800) And on the interweb last night, I managed to find the S10s (http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/img/silver/News10bl.gif) RRP £1000, for only £695!

So these would obviously be the obvious choice, as long as the impressions are good. If I can get the model up for an extra £45, that seems the obvious thing to do!

2. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    it depends what amp you have, the S10s are a little more difficult to drive and also are quite a bit bigger. you may find that you prefer the S8s, they happen to be my fave speaker under a grand - i almost bought some but ended up going for gr20s instead! i would say have a listen to both, both prices are and would worry more about which sounds better to you

3. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    How much were the GR20s?

The thing is, i'd like these speakers to last me a long time. Therefor I was thinking of the S10s, because in a few years time, or whatever, I wouldn't be thinking about upgrading to something a little bigger. Instead, spend the money on a Power amp, or two.

I've got a Yamaha RVX 1400 which will go into them for now. Then in the future, i'll upgrade that to something a bit bigger, along with power amp etc.

What i'm thinking about at the minute, are...

Monitor Audio S8s @ £650 (RRP £800)
    Monitor Audio S10s @ £700 (RRP £1000)
    Monitor Audio GR20s @ ???

WHen the S10s are only slightly more than the S8s, it makes me think value wise, the S10s are worth it. I take it both the silvers are a good price?

4. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    7oaks have a few MA's on offer - S8 at £650, S10 at £800 so the S10's at £700 look a bit of a bargain.

http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/stockclearance/stockclearance.html

GR20's are £1500 new, around £900-1000 used, which is what I would suggest you consider as a long term keeper and then go for an integrated or power amp to improve 2 channel.

What about the GR10's, £800 new, about £600 ex dem plus the stands of course?

Are you getting the matching centre? Would suggest the Gold centre even with the silvers.

Gus

5. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Go listen to them - with your amp. Just because the S10's are more expensive, doesn't neccessarily make them better sounding. Many listeners find the smaller speakers, in some ranges, to be better. :lesson:

6. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scotty Boy I owned the Monitor Audio S6 and they were a lovely sounding speaker for the price.
    MA do make lovely speakers and i also heard the GR10 standmounts and again the quality was superb but the GR's do go up in price quite abit.

John :)

7. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I upgraded a set of S8's to GR20's (simply becuase I was offered some for a silly low price).
    The S8's are superb speakers, much more controlled than the S6's, and not as boomy. I haven't heard the 10's, but I think they'd be hard pushed to offer better VFM than the S8's.
    The GR20's are superb, but in my opinion they are not 700 quid better than the S8's. If you find the 20's at a good price, then grab them and run, but otherwise the 8's are an excellent speaker.
    The GR10's fit nicely in the middle price wise, but you lose so much bass control over the floorstanders. If you've got time, and a friendly dealer, listen to them all, but for me, S8's or GR20's would be top of the list.

Tony