1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor Audio Silver and Denon 3805?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by TimDeLAY, Nov 24, 2004.

1. TimDeLAY

TimDeLAY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I am about to buy the Monitor Audio Silver Series for my setup. More specifically:
    Front-S10, Centre-SLCR, Surround-Sfx (for sub I will probably choose a Velodyne from the CHT-R series). I was thinking of matching them with Denon 3805 A/V amplifier and possibly with NAD C272 power amplifier for the fronts. They will be used 70% for home cinema and 30% for music (nevertheless I am quite interested in music as well). My music interests are basically rock, dance, pop and some classic music. Do you think that the Denon is a good match for the MA silver series? My dealer said they'd make a fine match, but unfortunatelly he only had the MA's available for listening (liked them a lot) but with more expensive amplification (so I am worried if they sound differently with the 3805). One of the reasons I am asking is because I've heard that the MA's are a bit bright (which is why I'm not choosing a Yamaha A/V amplifier). Any opinions on the above?

Thank you very much in advance!

2. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    If you are listening to music as well as movies why not try and get a demo of the nad receivers.I used to run a nad t752 receiver with monitor audio s1s and they did sound really good.
    For around £1000 you could get the nad T773 receiver which with its massive power supply will drive most speakers with ease and would match the monitor audio speakers well.This amp weighs 24kg so gives you some idea of how big the toroidail transformer is.
    Cheers Gonzo.

3. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TimeDelay MA's are IMO not bright at all and are a very smooth sounding speakers and with something like a Denon or Yamaha both very warm sounding amps they will complement each other quite well, i had the MA S6's connected to my Yamaha for a while and the sound was beautifuly rich and warm / smooth, if possible the best way to purchase kit is to find a dealer that can Dem all equipment that you are interested in even if that means you have to travell far best not to buy blind! The only amps that i have come across to be quite bright were the Pioneers.

John

4. TimDeLAY

TimDeLAY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for the answers! Let me add something here... One other thing that troubles me is the centre speaker of the MA Silver series. I've heard from some people (not the majority, only a few) that it's not the best match for the series and since it is a very important component of a home theater system I am a bit concerned. For instance is it able to reproduce dialogues effectively? Is it able to handle high volumes (another thing I've come across is that it doesn't do well in high volumes). Of course all these are just some opinions I've picked from here and there; they're neither "official" nor "proved" to be right. But since I've heard them I'd like to know any comments/opinions on that...

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi TimeDelay from my experience of the MA Silver Centre which i did have and played at high volumes it never once sounded as if it was struggling and matched the S6's superbly!

John

6. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Try listening to the Gold Ref centre instead, have read a few times people recommend the silver fronts and a gold centre.

7. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would think that the GR Centre would be worthy of a little better amplification than the 3805, don't get me wrong the 3805 is a very good av amp but something like the GR Centre deserves more power to sound it's best!

John

8. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Tim
    I also owned the silver centre and as recruit never had any problems at high volumes.May be the people that cranked there amps were running them close to there limits which would explain the harsh sound.
    Cheers Gonzo.

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Since a year or two Yamaha's are said to be warm sounding - but who knows. As well I wouldn't call MA speakers bright, they are rather detailed.
    But in the end it's all a matter of personal taste rather than an absolute judgement (bright, warm, etc.).

I drive some old MA speakers (PMC series, all around) with an old "bright" Yamaha amp and have no complains. Actually I would put my setup on the neutral side (sh.. in, sh.. out). :D

10. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree, Also a room can have a massive affect on the sound that is being perceived as bright or warm, as sparsly furnished rooms can make the sound seem quite bright & heavily furnished rooms with rugs and alot of furniture can make the sound seem alot warmer!!

John

11. TimDeLAY

TimDeLAY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guyes thank you very much for the replies! They've been very helpful... actually I don't think I'll be going for the Gold serier centre - it's almost double price from the Silver one and I'm also concerned about the driving capabilities of 3805. One more thing I noticed is that the Silver centre is constructed as a sealed cabinet and not bass reflex as almost every other centre channel I've seen. Could this be a problem? Generally I know that bass reflex speakers play louder and have better bass (although the lower end of the SLCR frequency is quite low - 45Hz - maybe that's why it's a sealed cabinet and not a bass reflex design). Thing is, I am planning to match it with the S10 and I'm worried it will be "too little" for that. Any comments on the "sealed box design" of SLCR?

12. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haveing a sealed boxed design can be quite useful as it can be mounted in an enclosed av rack where as if it had a bass reflex port you would need to mount it in free space to get the best out of it or else you could get boom from the rear ports if mounted too close to an enclosed area, also with a sealed design they are easier to drive by youre amp!!

John

13. TimDeLAY

TimDeLAY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much for the immediate response recruit. This was my thought as well, I mean that it would be easier for placement. After all I am planning to put it in a shelf below the TV, which would probably create problems with a bass reflex cabinet design (except if the flowports were in the front). Apart from that, do you think that matching it with an S10 (~200 Watt while the SLCR is 120 Watts rated) would be unsuccessfull?

14. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't see why not it was designed as part of the Silver range so should be ok with any of them :smashin:
    Remember though the S10's do generate alot of bass so place well away from walls or they could become unruly!

John

15. TimDeLAY

TimDeLAY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well that is one concern of mine as well, which is why I'm not sure if I'll go for the S10s or the S8s. First on my list would be the S10s because I like deep bass for 2-channel music as well (I don't plan to use a sub for 2-channel audio). Generally there will be a lot of space between the speakers. Nevertheless, I was thinking that even if they do create more bass than the living room can handle I can always use the supplied "foams" (not sure if that's what they're called) to reduce the bass output. Of course someone could say "in that case go straight to S8 and save some money" but I'd rather have the opportunity to use more bass (even if I don't actually use it) rather than the opposite... Not sure if you agree with the above:)

16. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes you can tune the ports with the bungs, sorry i forgot about them :) Best of both Worlds then :smashin:

John

17. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    My M&K centre is sealed and sounds great so I wouldn't worry about that.

18. TimDeLAY

TimDeLAY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Ian...

19. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    :confused: now i always though the opposite !

wouldn't sealed enclosures be harder to driver since the cone has to compress the air inside the cabinet!?

this is just a technical question as i'm very pro sealed designs!

pls explain!

20. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sniper this may be wrong :suicide: and you may be right :lesson: i may have been miss informed so pls excuse if i am!

John :)

21. petarst

petarst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a S8 at my home. I have listened S6, S8 and S10 and I buy S8.
    They delivered to much bass in room without any problem.
    For TIM, why you choose a denon 3805 with NAD? I also considering that combo, but with 2105 and c272 or T773 NAD.

22. TimDeLAY

TimDeLAY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Petarst,

at first let me ask you why you chose S8? Did you think they were better than S10 or you just thought they were sufficient for your room so no reason to spend more money for S10? I'll probably be going for S10 because my dealer gives them only slightly more expensive than S8's so I think the extra bass is worth the difference. Actually, I'm thinking that for home cinema it doesn't really matter since I'll be using a sub. For 2-channel music however I don't plan to use a sub so I'd appreciate the extra bass. And anyway if it's too much for the room I can always use the foams/bungs (whatever they're called) to reduce the effect. But generally I like lots of bass:)

Now as for the 3805 - C272 combination I guess you're asking why buy a somewhat expensive A/V amplifier. Well the reason is that I would like to have enough drive power for the centre and the surround speakers, since for now I'll be using extra amplification (C272) only for the two fronts. Any thoughts on that are welcome of course...

23. petarst

petarst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI,
    I am talking abought my experiance ok.
    Go with s10 if the price is good.
    Sound that you will get from nad c 272 on fronts will be differnet than on rears. When you will play sacd or dvd-a you will hear it?
    That is way i am afriad of the combo. I also think of that combo ,but shure not with 3805. I think that i will buy t773.Also if you buy a that cambo can you share your ecperiance with me? :)
    I will buy a B&W 675 who will blown away fronts speakers bass in stereo.
    What i want to tell you also is that when you listen some dance or techno those speakers cant handle it on that way like sub.

ragards

24. TimDeLAY

TimDeLAY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello petarts,

well you are right about the dance/techno music. For that kind of music I too agree that a sub is necessary. I am planning to buy the Velodyne CHT-15R which has a lot of bass to offer. For that kind of music I'll be using it as well. For other kinds of music though (rock, pop, classic etc) I won't be using a sub, so the S10s will be fine I guess.

Now as for the 3805 you are probably right that it'll sound a bit different, the rears I mean comparing with the fronts. But that doesn't trouble me much, first because I will be making the proper adjustments so that the sould levels are equal from all speakers and secondly because a power amplifier doesn't affect the "character" of the speaker outcome as much as the preamplification stages. Well I guess we'll have to wait and see:) After all in most of the A/V - power amplifier combos I've seen so far the A/V is of different brand than the power amplifier (I mean integrated A/V and 2-channel power amplifier).

If everything goes well, when I have the set and let it "run in" for a while I'll let you know of my impressions:) Do you have a whole MA silver series package or just the S8s?

25. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I really think you should try the Arcam AVR250 or AVR300 as both are miles ahead IMHO when it comes to musicality. I have a denon 3802 and whilst i'd expect a 3805 to be better if you listen to concert DVD,SAD or DVD audio the Arcams are better. My friend has just bought a AVR300 and its so good I'm thinking of ways to get one (dreaming in other words!)
    As for the Monitor Audios.....well thats the package my friend has and it sounds amazing.

26. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    As I mentioned earlier my friend has the S8's. He had problems with bass boom (yet had large living room) bungs were tried but it had a negative effect on the overall sound. At the time he was using and Arcam AV50 with 8p monoblocks and now that he has switched to the Arcam AVR300 the boom has all but gone, probably due to the excellent grip the amp has on them.

I have Ruark Talisman11 speakers and they had great bass etc in my old flat which had traditional floorboards square living room and smaller area. Now they sound harder and bass light in my new house which is not square and has a shallow space underneath the fibreboard floor not to mention laminate flooring. Of course new house lots to buy and wife whilst understanding would be less than happy if I went out and bought new kit.

Find a dealer who is willing to let you take stuff home to try.

27. TimDeLAY

TimDeLAY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for the tips pwood! Actually I talked this over with my dealer and he told me that I since I am being troubled about which to choose (S10s or S8s) I could take the S10s and if they didn't sound well in the living room he'd switch them with the S8s. So I guess I don't have to worry much about that - I'll start with the S10s (I wish I could fit the extra bass - when I auditioned them they sounded great!) but if there is a problem there's always a choice. Actually the way the room where I'm planning to put the S10s in is constructed leaves a lot of space behing them. So I should hope they'd be ok. By the way thanks for the A/V tips as well pwood. I'll try to check the Arcam as well.

28. petarst

petarst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI all,
    I have s1 on rear position, sclr, woofer dont have for now.
    I start to collect a money for reciver. I have had a Denon 1804 ,but I sold it because it cant drive s8's. Now i will go with i think T773 ,but i am not shure.
    New version mk2 non-official of nad t773 is ready ,nad here in my city price is the same of denon 3805 and nad t773.

try also t773 with monitor audio. :hiya:

29. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Not sure if it's too late yet but get the best center that you can afford (given it's a tonal match). So I would try the Gold center, preferrably with your own amp, in comparision and see which one performs better.

30. TimDeLAY

TimDeLAY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reiner thank you for your reply. I am still not settled about one or two things regarding the speaker/amplification set so it wasn't too late for your suggestion:) Actually I think I'll take your advice. I was talking to my dealer about this issue, because I was concerned myself about the centre speaker, given that it's a very important compontent for a home theater setup. He also agreed that the gold centre is a very good match even for the Silver series and he told me that it wasn't double price, compared with the silver centre, as I thought initially. So I'll test it with the proper amplification and if I'm satisfied I'll definately go for that one. Thanks again for the advice:)