Monitor Audio Silver 500 5.1 system opinions

AntT2

Novice Member
Having listened to music on a family members Monitor Audio Silver 500 floorstanders - I am now interested in buying a Monitor Audio Silver 500 5.1 home cinema speakers. They would be powered by a Yamaha RX-V6A Black 7.2 Channel AV Receiver.

Wondering if people would be able to offer advice / opinions on the following:

1) In a similar price bracket to the Monitor Audio Silver 500 floorstanders, Silver C350 Centrespeaker, Silver FX rears and Silver W12 subwoofer - any other 5.1 system recommendations?

2) I am thinking of using Silver 200s as rears, rather than Silver FX rears. Thoughts?

3) How much of an improvement would the Gold W12 subwoofer make over the Silver W12 subwoofer? Is it worth double the price? I’ve previously found the biggest difference I’ve noticed from more expensive home cinema systems is the subwoofer.

Any advice and opinions are most welcome.

Thanks,
A

gibbsy

A diagram with dimensions of your room would be helpful. FX speakers or mono for surrounds depends on where your main listening seating will be. As for subs I'd look at BK before the bundled subs from MA. All in all the MAs are very good speakers, it just depends on if you have to room to do floorstanders justice or may be better off with standmounts. We'll only know that once you post a diagram or photographs of your room.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
I agree with Gibbsy that the BK subs are incredible value for money with a very impressive cost/performance ratio.

But, having said that, I wouldn't necessarily dismiss MA's own subs too quickly. I own a Gold W15 and it's easily the best I've owned so far.

I must qualify this by saying that I live in a flat so I've never used an absolute monster here. I also don't watch content at reference volumes because, well, I live in a flat!

I don't know anything about MA's Silver range, but can definitely vouch for the Gold series. I don't think it's twice the price because MA are being greedy, I think they genuinely invest far more in R&D and materials for the Gold and it's reflected in the price.

password1

I think floorstanders are overkill for rear speakers as most of the sound comes from the front speakers. I'd get the dedicated surrounds fx speakers and spend the difference saved on a better sub or two.

I would also consider the silver 100s for the fronts as you'll be high passing anyway and the bass can be handled by the sub(s)

In fact, of you're in no rush, Id wait for the new silver range or get the golds for the front at least.

Alternatives to consider are the flagship Mission zx range and go for the quadruple woofer beast of a centre. The Zx range are higher than the QX range which i believe are the level of the silvers, or at least the QX2 are compared to Silver 100 in the review on this forum.

Also the Fyne Audio F500 range with the triple woofer centre.

Last but not least the Wharfedale Evo range.

Last edited:

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Having listened to music on a family members Monitor Audio Silver 500 floorstanders - I am now interested in buying a Monitor Audio Silver 500 5.1 home cinema speakers. They would be powered by a Yamaha RX-V6A Black 7.2 Channel AV Receiver.

Wondering if people would be able to offer advice / opinions on the following:

1) In a similar price bracket to the Monitor Audio Silver 500 floorstanders, Silver C350 Centrespeaker, Silver FX rears and Silver W12 subwoofer - any other 5.1 system recommendations?

2) I am thinking of using Silver 200s as rears, rather than Silver FX rears. Thoughts?

3) How much of an improvement would the Gold W12 subwoofer make over the Silver W12 subwoofer? Is it worth double the price? I’ve previously found the biggest difference I’ve noticed from more expensive home cinema systems is the subwoofer.

Any advice and opinions are most welcome.

Thanks,
A

First thing. While you would be able to run the Silver range with the RX-V6A it´s generally thought as lower budget unit. Yamaha is going to introduce new models very soon if you aren´t in hurry. Something like the upcoming Aventage range RX-A4A (7.2) or RX-A6A (9.2), RX-A8A (11.2) would be more ideal if you want to stay with Yamaha.

1) They do require decent space around them or the bass can overpower when you run them full range listening music. See AVForums review MA Silver 500 5.1 revivew where the editor did mistake accepting too large speakers for he`s room and well the review is not much usefull as he couldn`t give them the space needed and ended up running bungs in. Anyone buying such large speakers with 8" drivers is more than likely to have large room and give them at least 0,5meters from walls, preferably bit more as MA recommends.

If you don´t have option the option to do this then consider the smaller Silver 300 main speakers, they still have the same 3-way design with own midrange driver so with music listening they are as enjoyable with little less bass which you can overcome with subwoofer(s).

2) Do you listen multichannel music with 5 speakers on? If that is the case then Silver 200 or 300 as surround channels could be ideal. For movie use there is no requirement to do that. You can also choose Silver 50 or Silver 100 with 600mm tall speaker stands of your liking if the wall mounted speakers feels that they don´t work in your room!

3) There is better options available for less money regarding both subs Silver W12 which is very small sealed sub, it`s good product for hifi system but also costs bit too much. Gold W12 has been downsized from the times of Derek`s W15, now PR design. I find it quite expensive at 2100£, the finish will cost and of course being speaker manufacturer product. PR design with extra drivers will add cost too, but should help getting more performance out from smaller cabinet.

I don´t see much reason to look the cheaper BK products either if you can spend easily over 2k£ and want different level product. It would be important to choose the product from brand that specializes in subwoofers. Satin white/black, gloss white and black is often available.

" I’ve previously found the biggest difference I’ve noticed from more expensive home cinema systems is the subwoofer."

This is true, good subwoofer(s) can make dramatic difference to whole system! How large is your listening room with any possible openings? Will you be listening loud levels and is your main use movies over music listening or more like 50/50%? Do you have option to consider two subwoofers with free hands regarding their placement (example front corners, one at front left - second at rear right etc.)?

If it would be my money i would consider two 1k£ dedicated sub manufacturer products over one overpriced 2k£ speaker manufacturer sub. As good or even better build quality, nice finish, better performance, better support/service and longer warranty! What to get depends of your requirements which you hopefully share with us more.

AntT2

Novice Member
Thanks for all the replies - dimensions below and image attached (haven't moved in yet. Living room / dinning room is open planned) but is 7.29m x 4.95m (23'11" x 16'3").

TV will be fixed on the wall (rather than in front of the window)

Attachments

• living room plan.JPG
    living room plan.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 43

AntT2

Novice Member
A diagram with dimensions of your room would be helpful. FX speakers or mono for surrounds depends on where your main listening seating will be. As for subs I'd look at BK before the bundled subs from MA. All in all the MAs are very good speakers, it just depends on if you have to room to do floorstanders justice or may be better off with standmounts. We'll only know that once you post a diagram or photographs of your room.
Hi gibbsy. I have posted the dimensions of the room. Hopefully that's big enough to do the floorstanders justice. Thanks for the advice on the BK subs. I'll take a look

AntT2

Novice Member
I agree with Gibbsy that the BK subs are incredible value for money with a very impressive cost/performance ratio.

But, having said that, I wouldn't necessarily dismiss MA's own subs too quickly. I own a Gold W15 and it's easily the best I've owned so far.

I must qualify this by saying that I live in a flat so I've never used an absolute monster here. I also don't watch content at reference volumes because, well, I live in a flat!

I don't know anything about MA's Silver range, but can definitely vouch for the Gold series. I don't think it's twice the price because MA are being greedy, I think they genuinely invest far more in R&D and materials for the Gold and it's reflected in the price.
Thanks Derek S-H. I will certainly check out the BK subs, but it is interesting to read how happy you are with the Gold W15. I would love for the Gold Series to be an option - but not sure I can stretch that far at this time. The Silver Series may be my limit. If the Gold W15 sub makes a dramatic difference and improvement to the Silver Series - I may be able to look into adding that sub.

AntT2

Novice Member
I think floorstanders are overkill for rear speakers as most of the sound comes from the front speakers. I'd get the dedicated surrounds fx speakers and spend the difference saved on a better sub or two.

I would also consider the silver 100s for the fronts as you'll be high passing anyway and the bass can be handled by the sub(s)

In fact, of you're in no rush, Id wait for the new silver range or get the golds for the front at least.

Alternatives to consider are the flagship Mission zx range and go for the quadruple woofer beast of a centre. The Zx range are higher than the QX range which i believe are the level of the silvers, or at least the QX2 are compared to Silver 100 in the review on this forum.

Also the Fyne Audio F500 range with the triple woofer centre.

Last but not least the Wharfedale Evo range.
Thanks password1. Any idea when the new Silver range will be coming out? I have heard that there will be Dolby Atmos options for the Silver Range available soon.

AntT2

Novice Member
First thing. While you would be able to run the Silver range with the RX-V6A it´s generally thought as lower budget unit. Yamaha is going to introduce new models very soon if you aren´t in hurry. Something like the upcoming Aventage range RX-A4A (7.2) or RX-A6A (9.2), RX-A8A (11.2) would be more ideal if you want to stay with Yamaha.

1) They do require decent space around them or the bass can overpower when you run them full range listening music. See AVForums review MA Silver 500 5.1 revivew where the editor did mistake accepting too large speakers for he`s room and well the review is not much usefull as he couldn`t give them the space needed and ended up running bungs in. Anyone buying such large speakers with 8" drivers is more than likely to have large room and give them at least 0,5meters from walls, preferably bit more as MA recommends.

If you don´t have option the option to do this then consider the smaller Silver 300 main speakers, they still have the same 3-way design with own midrange driver so with music listening they are as enjoyable with little less bass which you can overcome with subwoofer(s).

2) Do you listen multichannel music with 5 speakers on? If that is the case then Silver 200 or 300 as surround channels could be ideal. For movie use there is no requirement to do that. You can also choose Silver 50 or Silver 100 with 600mm tall speaker stands of your liking if the wall mounted speakers feels that they don´t work in your room!

3) There is better options available for less money regarding both subs Silver W12 which is very small sealed sub, it`s good product for hifi system but also costs bit too much. Gold W12 has been downsized from the times of Derek`s W15, now PR design. I find it quite expensive at 2100£, the finish will cost and of course being speaker manufacturer product. PR design with extra drivers will add cost too, but should help getting more performance out from smaller cabinet.

I don´t see much reason to look the cheaper BK products either if you can spend easily over 2k£ and want different level product. It would be important to choose the product from brand that specializes in subwoofers. Satin white/black, gloss white and black is often available.

" I’ve previously found the biggest difference I’ve noticed from more expensive home cinema systems is the subwoofer."

This is true, good subwoofer(s) can make dramatic difference to whole system! How large is your listening room with any possible openings? Will you be listening loud levels and is your main use movies over music listening or more like 50/50%? Do you have option to consider two subwoofers with free hands regarding their placement (example front corners, one at front left - second at rear right etc.)?

If it would be my money i would consider two 1k£ dedicated sub manufacturer products over one overpriced 2k£ speaker manufacturer sub. As good or even better build quality, nice finish, better performance, better support/service and longer warranty! What to get depends of your requirements which you hopefully share with us mor

password1

Looking at previous generations a new range is normally every 4 or 5 years. The current silver range were introduced in 2017 so im expecting/hoping later this year or within the next 12 months, but i guess the pandemic will delay any plans.

where did you hear about atmosoptions for the silvers?

AntT2

Novice Member

If it would be my money i would consider two 1k£ dedicated sub manufacturer products over one overpriced 2k£ speaker manufacturer sub. As good or even better build quality, nice finish, better performance, better support/service and longer warranty! What to get depends of your requirements which you hopefully share with us more.
Thanks for the reply Gasp3621

I haven't actually unpacked the RX-V6A yet and won't be moving until May / June. I'll keep an eye out for the Advantage Range.

I have provided dimensions of my living room - hopefully that is enough room for the 500s so the bass isn't overpowering.

Traditionally I have always listened to music in stereo (family home had Definitive Technology speakers) but this will be the first time I am buying speakers for myself. I have never listened to multichannel music with 5 speakers on.

Apologies - when you refer to PR - what do you mean?

My main requirement is for movies however. We will be listening to music in the living room as well, but I reckon it will be 70% movie use.

Ideally my budget for the sub is £1000-£1350. I would only consider more if it made a dramatic difference. I have read nothing but good things SVS SB-3000 & SVS PB-3000.

Juts in terms of taking up space in the living room - I think I'd go for just a single sub for the time being.

password1

PR is the passive radiator in the bk platinum p12 subs..there are 3 models, front firing, downward firing and PR (2 cones but one is not powered)

AntT2

Novice Member
PR is the passive radiator in the bk platinum p12 subs..there are 3 models, front firing, downward firing and PR (2 cones but one is not powered)
Thanks for the explanation.
Re atmos options for the MA Silvers - that was from MA when I made an enquiry regarding suitability of Bronze Atmos to Silver 500s

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the reply Gasp3621

I haven't actually unpacked the RX-V6A yet and won't be moving until May / June. I'll keep an eye out for the Advantage Range.

I have provided dimensions of my living room - hopefully that is enough room for the 500s so the bass isn't overpowering.

Traditionally I have always listened to music in stereo (family home had Definitive Technology speakers) but this will be the first time I am buying speakers for myself. I have never listened to multichannel music with 5 speakers on.

Apologies - when you refer to PR - what do you mean?

My main requirement is for movies however. We will be listening to music in the living room as well, but I reckon it will be 70% movie use.

Ideally my budget for the sub is £1000-£1350. I would only consider more if it made a dramatic difference. I have read nothing but good things SVS SB-3000 & SVS PB-3000.

Juts in terms of taking up space in the living room - I think I'd go for just a single sub for the time being.

Make sure you can return the V6A without losing money if you keep it longer. I`m not 100% sure when the new models are announced by Yamaha due to virus. They supposed to come already in december 2020, but still no word. Depending of your budget there is of course other brands too. Marantz SR6015/SR7015/SR8015 for example. Anthem has released new models (MRX-740), Nad has T778 but likely out of your budget. Yamaha receivers has always been praised to be musical and they are well known to work without bugs, built to last.

I just thought you want listen multichannel music cause you mentioned the Silver 200 floorstanders as surround channels. Most people wouldn´t pay 500£ extra as you don`t really gain much of anything for movies. You probably would be fine with Silver 50s at the each sides of listeners (not close by) with pair of 600mm stands. So about 600£ vs. 1000£.

As for the main speakers S500 i assume you have tv speakers on the left side wall in your roomplan. So the couch will be opposite. MA recommends 30-60cm space behind the speakers for S300/500, so about half meter space may be ideal. Also they recommend up to 1meter to side walls, but this applies to most speakers. So if you have free hands where the speakers/tv go and couch with your main listening position opposite to tv then you should be good. For movie use in mind you should be very fine with the S300 model too as long as you buy the C350 center channel which is going to be one of the most active speaker in your system!

As for the Gold serie there is one option that brings the price difference close for the LCR. Each models in gloss black. Silver 500 + C350= 2282,50£ Vs. Gold 100 + C250 =2499£. Add stands so 2600£ roughly which means about 300£ price difference. You could still choose Silver 50s for surround channels to bring the total cost down as MA doesn´t offer smaller Gold model than 100 anymore. This proposition would be mean standmount speakers over large floorstanders. You can of course use the subwoofer with music listening which would make the Gold 100s shine with music too. You really would need to hear both as i have no idea which route would be better. Golds have the transducers similar to ribbon tweeters offering greater detail and soundstage. Just keep in mind that you won´t be running the Silver 500s as "full range" when you watch movies. So that is also why i feel the Silver 300 would be enough (movies) - perhaps even the Gold 100s too with subwoofer on music. If you aren´t in hurry i would urge you to wait if this route intrests you cause MA dealer would let you listen all three models side by side w/subwoofer. When ever the hifi shops are open again..

Room size is on the larger side so SVS PB3000 would make sense if you are going to stick with just one sub. There will be quite noticeable difference between the sealed and ported version. Another option with more lounge friendly looks would be Arendal 1723 1V. It would cost bit more than SVS as this comes on top "additional cost is UK VAT + 2,5% which you pay to DHL"

More information about the build etc:

AntT2

Novice Member
Make sure you can return the V6A without losing money if you keep it longer. I`m not 100% sure when the new models are announced by Yamaha due to virus. They supposed to come already in december 2020, but still no word. Depending of your budget there is of course other brands too. Marantz SR6015/SR7015/SR8015 for example. Anthem has released new models (MRX-740), Nad has T778 but likely out of your budget. Yamaha receivers has always been praised to be musical and they are well known to work without bugs, built to last.

I just thought you want listen multichannel music cause you mentioned the Silver 200 floorstanders as surround channels. Most people wouldn´t pay 500£ extra as you don`t really gain much of anything for movies. You probably would be fine with Silver 50s at the each sides of listeners (not close by) with pair of 600mm stands. So about 600£ vs. 1000£.

As for the main speakers S500 i assume you have tv speakers on the left side wall in your roomplan. So the couch will be opposite. MA recommends 30-60cm space behind the speakers for S300/500, so about half meter space may be ideal. Also they recommend up to 1meter to side walls, but this applies to most speakers. So if you have free hands where the speakers/tv go and couch with your main listening position opposite to tv then you should be good. For movie use in mind you should be very fine with the S300 model too as long as you buy the C350 center channel which is going to be one of the most active speaker in your system!

As for the Gold serie there is one option that brings the price difference close for the LCR. Each models in gloss black. Silver 500 + C350= 2282,50£ Vs. Gold 100 + C250 =2499£. Add stands so 2600£ roughly which means about 300£ price difference. You could still choose Silver 50s for surround channels to bring the total cost down as MA doesn´t offer smaller Gold model than 100 anymore. This proposition would be mean standmount speakers over large floorstanders. You can of course use the subwoofer with music listening which would make the Gold 100s shine with music too. You really would need to hear both as i have no idea which route would be better. Golds have the transducers similar to ribbon tweeters offering greater detail and soundstage. Just keep in mind that you won´t be running the Silver 500s as "full range" when you watch movies. So that is also why i feel the Silver 300 would be enough (movies) - perhaps even the Gold 100s too with subwoofer on music. If you aren´t in hurry i would urge you to wait if this route intrests you cause MA dealer would let you listen all three models side by side w/subwoofer. When ever the hifi shops are open again..

Room size is on the larger side so SVS PB3000 would make sense if you are going to stick with just one sub. There will be quite noticeable difference between the sealed and ported version. Another option with more lounge friendly looks would be Arendal 1723 1V. It would cost bit more than SVS as this comes on top "additional cost is UK VAT + 2,5% which you pay to DHL"

More information about the build etc:
Thanks for you detailed reply Gasp3621,

I'll keep an eye out on the other Yamaha amps and will try to get a demonstration. I grew up with the Yamaha DSP-A1 and was always impressed with it for both movies and music - although that was a high end amp.

I imagined that a pair of Silver 200s at the rears could potentially add something to movies.

An AV Dealer near me who deals with Bowers & Wilkins products told me he is opening his store to the public again in mid-April - so hopefully Monitor and Audio dealers will do the same. I am not in a rush so will have plenty of time to arrange a demonstration to hear the FXs, the Silver 50s, 300s, 500s & Gold 100s.

I am keen to hear the SVS subs - everything I have read about them is extremely positive. Especially the SVS PB3000 & SVS SB3000.

I've read a couple of reviews of the Arendal 1723 5.1 system which appears to be an impressive system. Having a sub woofer that is THX Ultra certified would certainly appear to the kid inside me. Having THX certified speakers was the dream growing up....

Thanks again for your advice and recommendations.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom