Monitor Audio silver 50 paired with silver c350

Zeus07

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone..Has anyone matched monitor audio silver 50 with silver c350 center speaker? Currently have bronze 6 and bronze center setup. Havent been happy with bronze center dialogue.. Recently just bought silver 50 and intend to use silver 50 as fronts..I have space to accomodate c350 in my cabinet..Will this pairing be fine?
thanks

Hmm - I have paired the other way around - 300 fronts with a 150 center (as it is physically smaller) and actually use 50 as surrounds as the FX are a bit awkward to use in here (no convenient wall) so I have them on stands.

I'm not sure I see the point of using the 350 when you have 50 as main. The 150 is more tonally matched while the 350 is matched with the 300 and 500 floor standers.

The other thing I would consider is the 350 is basically a like sealed version of the 300 floorstander on its side and really to get the most out if it, I would want to be using a high end AVR (I only have the RX-V781). As I dont see myself getting one anytime soon as don't see much point in the 350 for me despite that I have the matching floor standers already. Also I have my crossover at 80Hz anyway so I would never use the extra range that speaker provides leaving basically exact tonal matching as the only reason to use the 350.

After saying this about the AVR, the reason I have 300 is because they are driven by my Hifi amp (Yamaha A-S2100) as music is my priority for sound quality and it serves as my front power amp for the AVR.

By the time the AVR does its room correction and I apply any necessary manual tweaks to the center EQ to get the best clarity out of it, that that will pretty much mask any benefit of the 350 over the 150 for me. Tonally once everything is setup, I find transitions across the fronts via the center seamless so evidently it is close enough tonally.

Final nail in the coffin of the 350 was the size of it. 150 fits in my cabinet as is with room for my acoustic mounting pads whereas the 350 would need some major reconstruction of the cabinet.

In you shoes, I would get the 150. If you plan on getting the 300 or 500 floor standers then the 350 makes more sense and especially if you also plan on getting a much more capable AVR.

Hi Everyone..Has anyone matched monitor audio silver 50 with silver c350 center speaker? Currently have bronze 6 and bronze center setup. Havent been happy with bronze center dialogue.. Recently just bought silver 50 and intend to use silver 50 as fronts..I have space to accomodate c350 in my cabinet..Will this pairing be fine?
thanks

No problem doing so. @DavidT has those two and is loving it! I would always choose best center channel from same brand & range. They will still be tonally matched, the slightly larger drivers (6" vs. 5,25") and extra midrange driver won´t change that. MA recommends C350 with Silver 100 too which doesn´t have the midrange driver either, however i don´t see why it wouldn´t work fine with S50s. It will sound lot more dynamic as reported (vs. C150) and has better horizontal directivity/dispersion for listeners sitting wider area. The horizontal MTM design is flawed to begin with and if there is 3-way speaker available then one should opt for that always! That speaker pushes something like 70% of soundtrack so if you got the space and money then get it as it`s on sale now (G6)! C350 is tall and you ideally want it at the top of your av-unit (tv wall mounted possibly) and at the front edge of it, tilt it shooting upwards if lower av-unit. Who knows in future you might want floorstanders and then you can move Silver 50s to rear and get S300/S500 or even Silver 100 which is quite big jump from the S50s what i have heard reported by folks.. Anyway then you would have already the big centre. With this hobby it`s also wise to "look forward to future" as much as possible. Never say never as hunger grows..

PS. What is wrong with the Bronze? I had it the 5G (one below the latest) and never issue with dialogue, AVForums review said the same they praised it! Either you haven´t calibrated your system correctly, speaker is placed inside cabinet and/or too low shooting knees, speaker crossover should be around 80-100hz (some folks don`t manually change and it could be set 40hz and sounding muddy).

Last edited:
I'm loving my S50 and C350 combination. The centre channel is an important part of the cinema audio experience and so should be the best speaker you can afford. I was lucky that I found my C350 for the same price as the C150 do it was an easy decision for me. I have no issue with tonal matching and love the clarity and dynamics of the C350. In future my plan is to buy a pair of S100's but I'm in no hurry.

20211109_140918.jpg

I agree, I’m currently running a C350 with silver 300s and they sound fantastic, but I had 200s with the centre previously and they sound almost as good. As posted above, MA also recommend the Silver 100 with the C350 and that has a much bigger bass / mid bass cone than the 300 so I don’t think it will make any difference to your enjoyment. So I think you can buy with confidence, especially as the C350 is such a superb centre speaker.

Last edited:
I'm loving my S50 and C350 combination. The centre channel is an important part of the cinema audio experience and so should be the best speaker you can afford. I was lucky that I found my C350 for the same price as the C150 do it was an easy decision for me. I have no issue with tonal matching and love the clarity and dynamics of the C350. In future my plan is to buy a pair of S100's but I'm in no hurry.

View attachment 1641141

Great TV cabinet, where did you get it from?

Great TV cabinet, where did you get it from?
Its three Ikea Besta floor cabinets pushed together. You can also get a Besta TV cabinet which is one piece.

As the centre speaker is one of the most important speakers in a surround sound setup, using a larger (C350) one from the same range (Silver) will only offer you more. It will outshine the smaller bookshelfs when you are listening to stereo sounds alone, but if you set the amp and subwoofer up whether it be via a high level option (if available) or within the settings in the amp, you shouldn't notice to much and it should then create a much larger sound stage at the front of the room regardless of what you wish to hear

I know it’s not directly related to your 50s but we’ve just purchased a C350 to replace a smaller Silver RX centre which is in a system of Silver RX8 floorstanders, Silver RXFX surrounds and RXW12 sub and it sounds superb. Even my wife said it sounded considerably better for dialogue and a better front soundstage!

Get the C350, 60+% of sound comes through the main centre channel, plus "when" you decide to upgrade the 50's you'll already have the centre to match 👍🏻. Upgrading always happens

View attachment 1641141

Wow thanks so much for response everyone, it is much appreciated. I can certainly learn alot from all the knowledge you guys have.

View attachment 1641141
It looks amazing!

i mainly watch movies 80% of the time. I love tonal clarity, with bronze center i couldn't really hear clear dialogue and at most times struggled with it and it was starting to annoy me, hence decision to get bigger center.@ Gasp3621 you are correct about my bronze center with those tweaks.

When looking for a center to match my Silver 500 fronts I was advised to go even further and get one from the higher series. So I ended up with Gold C250 (this is the only center in current gold series). I am very happy with such setup. Nothing against silver c350 though. In fact I was initially looking for silver c350 but it was not available at the time (c350 from the older series was sold out and the new was not yet available). To sum things up, I strongly recommend you to get c350 if you still undecided between c150 and c350.

@DavidT , why you didn't go for S50 for surrounds? It was the plan or just happened not to have S50 for both fronts and surrounds? I am curious because I am considering S50 to replace my MA Radius 90 on surround duty. BTW your setup looks great and reasonable as more often I see tiny centers matched with big fronts.

I’m upgrading my system over time and haven’t got around to surrounds yet but when I do I will likely buy the Silver FX.

Last edited:
I’ve just upgraded to monitor audio silver fx 6 gen for rears from q acoustic 3010i and they are brilliant , the sound pans from front to back beautifully it’s just a wall of sound now very different experience, I didn’t think the fx would be any better , I was wrong

Silver FX are just better speakers in general than 3010i. For 5.1 they do the job. I guess, however, for more complex setups like 7.1.4 the use of non direct radiating speakers would cause a mess. As a matter of fact, Dolby recommends using direct-radiating surround speakers. Anyone using FX with atmos height speakers?

Silver FX are just better speakers in general than 3010i. For 5.1 they do the job. I guess, however, for more complex setups like 7.1.4 the use of non direct radiating speakers would cause a mess. As a matter of fact, Dolby recommends using direct-radiating surround speakers. Anyone using FX with atmos height speakers?

I ordered some FX from Peter Tyson this morning then cancelled, gonna see how I get on with 7.1.4 using my previous Fronts as sides

I use Silver FX for surrounds in a 7.1.2 setup and they are absolutely fantastic. Sometimes you’d swear they’re throwing sounds just to your side even though they’re a bit behind seating position

Last edited:
@GrazzaB , nice to hear it. What size is your room? Maybe it's large enough to minimize any unwanted 'radiating' effects. In case of FX it's just twitters that throw sideways, the midbase driver is direct-radiating which probably helps. I know I'm nitpicking here...

@GrazzaB , nice to hear it. What size is your room? Maybe it's large enough to minimize any unwanted 'radiating' effects. In case of FX it's just twitters that throw sideways, the midbase driver is direct-radiating which probably helps. I know I'm nitpicking here...
Hi, it’s about 18x11 I think. Probably helps that the FX speakers are about 2-3 feet behind me at 30-40 degree angles.

I would strongly recommend going for bigger centre. I am Ma fan and was upgrading till I get this bad boy and absolutely no regrets. Centre makes such big job in movies, you shouldn't hesitate, go big.
No matter if with pl100 or pl200, big centre always worked excellent.

Attachments

• IMG_20220123_132557.jpg
    IMG_20220123_132557.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 178
Well I blame @GrazzaB for this but I’ve just upgraded last week to the MA350C, took advantage of the cheaper price of the Rosenut colour then 10% off code, I then hunted down a pair of Silver 100 in the same colour which I think must be the last pair on the planet!!. Then I see 20% off code on eBay so back to Tyson’s and bought 2 pairs of silver 50 for surround duties!.
Arriving today so will be setting them up later.

Damn I see this is my 20,000th post on here 😳.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom