Monitor Audio silver 50 paired with silver c350

panman40

Distinguished Member
I'm happy with how things are right now.

I usually run center 2dB hot but it depends on the movie.

Pretty much every AVR and processor (except Trinnov) I have tested has the problem, that they can adjust the level going to the center speaker but not the level of the center channel. This means that if you boost "center" it's boosted above the crossover but not below, if you have a high crossover it can make some voices sound thin.

I'm not into boosting subs, I don't like the step going through the crossover, sounds horrible to me. For the odd movie where bass is lacking or everything sounds harsh, I much prefer to use tone controls to adjust the slope of the response instead of turning channels up and down. Much more gradual boost as the frequency drops, sounds better I think.

1 or 2 dB down in treble and 2 or 4 or sometimes 5 up in bass tone controls sounds much better to me than turning up the subs and turning the volume down.

The processor I just got has some adjustable loudness control but I haven't started testing how that works and finding out if it's beneficial yet.

Sorry, I've never had any Denon or Marantz equipment, so that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. How can speaker levels be input dependent, that sounds a bit mad?
The main Audyssey speaker level calibration is under Audio- speakers- Levels, but when you select a channel to adjust it In that menu it’s not taking into account the filters Audyssey set. So if you play a set of tones on a disc its complete with the filters but when you go back into the main levels setting it starts playing those and not the ones on disc. However there is another settiming to alter speaker ch levels under the options button but say you set +2db for the centre whilst using hdmi 1 input you would need to go back in and adjust it again for hdmi 2 etc etc.
To be honest I was more than happy with the speakers I had previously but was seeking a new centre for a little bit better dialogue, since then I’ve spent £1200 odd on 7 new MA speakers and had nothing but a headache since!!. If it ain’t broke ….

AndreNewman

However there is another settiming to alter speaker ch levels under the options button but say you set +2db for the centre whilst using hdmi 1 input you would need to go back in and adjust it again for hdmi 2 etc etc.
That's interesting, maybe that setting is actually adjusting the channel instead of the speaker.

To be honest I was more than happy with the speakers I had previously but was seeking a new centre for a little bit better dialogue, since then I’ve spent £1200 odd on 7 new MA speakers and had nothing but a headache since!!. If it ain’t broke ….
I see you had Kef speakers before, I don't really know much about them but aren't they usually more mid forward? the old Kef Coda's my Uncle had in the 70's certainly were...
The MA's are supposed to be quite neutral so maybe they seem a bit bright compared to what you are used to.

I have found the C350 to be excellent, the only significantly better systems I've heard have been real high end demo rooms and the DIY speakers from the guy I bought my processor from. If I replace my MA speakers it will be with DIY active speakers.

DavidT

I would only use the AVR test tones to adjust speakers as all you are doing is adjusting the levels and you don’t want to be messing with the Audessey EQ. Do you think the MA speakers are now indicating a room issue whereas the KEFs weren’t good enough to care?

panman40

Distinguished Member
I would only use the AVR test tones to adjust speakers as all you are doing is adjusting the levels and you don’t want to be messing with the Audessey EQ. Do you think the MA speakers are now indicating a room issue whereas the KEFs weren’t good enough to care?
Can you explain a little more on that ?, whether you use the main levels or the levels per input under the options button - channel level adjust what’s the difference apart from one being global and the latter per hdmi input ?. Ive read a few times that if you dare touch the main Audyssey levels you have totally ruined all the Audyssey settings but I’ve always found that hard to believe.
Im not sure yet on your comment about the kefs not being good enough to care ! Lol 😂.

on a positive note I do seem to be getting somewhere now, something I’ve found in my room with the less than ideal mountings is that DEQ is a no go.

DavidT

The levels per input just adjusts the master volume for that particular input in order to reduce any differences in volume when switching between inputs, its a kind of input leveller. The speaker levels set buy Audyssey are there to try and ensure that each speakers volume is consistent at the MLP for any given master volume so if the speaker is further away the level is high than an identical speaker that is closer to the MLP.

I don't use DEQ either as I don't like how it boosts the surround speaker levels. I use DV on medium at night but turn it off during the day.

panman40

Distinguished Member
The levels per input just adjusts the master volume for that particular input in order to reduce any differences in volume when switching between inputs, its a kind of input leveller. The speaker levels set buy Audyssey are there to try and ensure that each speakers volume is consistent at the MLP for any given master volume so if the speaker is further away the level is high than an identical speaker that is closer to the MLP.

I don't use DEQ either as I don't like how it boosts the surround speaker levels. I use DV on medium at night but turn it off during the day.
No, that’s a different setting under source setting that does as you say adjusts overall main volume so you can level match hdmi input volumes. It’s not the speaker ch settimg I’m referring to under the options button on the marantz remote.

panman40

Distinguished Member
Just for some sort of reference these are the 2 different ways of adjusting the channel levels on a Marantz sr7012. I don't know if Denon are the same or not.

Main levels here -
IMG_20220215_105731.jpg

And levels under Options which is per HDMI input.

IMG_20220215_105753.jpg

Jester1066

panman40

Distinguished Member
I can confirm it's exactly the options for level adjust on my Denon 4500
Thanks, was curiosity really, so which do you use to adjust any levels ?.

Jester1066

Thanks, was curiosity really, so which do you use to adjust any levels ?.
None - My levels are pretty consistent across sources tbh. But if I had to adjust because of differences in source levels, it'd be via the 2nd screenshot

panman40

Distinguished Member
None - My levels are pretty consistent across sources tbh. But if I had to adjust because of differences in source levels, it'd be via the 2nd screenshot
So you don’t tine tune with an spl or raise the sub level at all ?.

Jester1066

So you don’t tine tune with an spl or raise the sub level at all ?.
I do raise the sub level, but I do this globally (via the levels - 1st screenshot). Just increasing it by a few dB's from calibrated level.

I've never felt the need to use a SPL meter to fine tune. I have a Umik 1 to "dial in my subs", but haven't had any quiet time (2 kids under 5 & 3 dogs) to actually do it!

I may well use the SPL meter in REW at some point.

panman40

Distinguished Member
I do raise the sub level, but I do this globally (via the levels - 1st screenshot). Just increasing it by a few dB's from calibrated level.

I've never felt the need to use a SPL meter to fine tune. I have a Umik 1 to "dial in my subs", but haven't had any quiet time (2 kids under 5 & 3 dogs) to actually do it!

AHH right ok ! Yes getting quiet is very hard !.

StefanBFC

I wonder if I have the c350 angled up to much ?, I'm using the same rubber feet I had on my Kef though. View attachment 1652657

Hard to judge really, how far is your main listening position?
Just angle it enough so the main tweeter is facing your ear level, laser lever would work.
Would you notice any difference, probably not, as you have it at the end of your unit.
I used black 20mm speaker spikes to raise mine, it also matches the black feet on the towers and cosmetically looks good.

StefanBFC

This is me, I moved house 6 months ago and only ran one Dirac!! I just increase the levels now on the Arcam to suit. Untill I get a full day to myself.

panman40

Distinguished Member
Hard to judge really, how far is your main listening position?
Just angle it enough so the main tweeter is facing your ear level, laser lever would work.
Would you notice any difference, probably not, as you have it at the end of your unit.
I used black 20mm speaker spikes to raise mine, it also matches the black feet on the towers and cosmetically looks good.
9.8 feet from the centre, I’ve double checked and the angle does seem spot on. I’ve got some solid type rubber pads that came with some speakers at the front underneath. Things seem to be running in a bit now, hoping to be really pleased soon but it’s not been easy!.

StefanBFC

9.8 feet from the centre, I’ve double checked and the angle does seem spot on. I’ve got some solid type rubber pads that came with some speakers at the front underneath. Things seem to be running in a bit now, hoping to be really pleased soon but it’s not been easy!.

Least you've checked then, so all good.

It will all come together, these speakers get better and better over time.

panman40

Distinguished Member
Least you've checked then, so all good.

It will all come together, these speakers get better and better over time.
There’s definitely an improvement now, to be honest I’m not a real believer in speaker break in but perhaps I’m wrong.
i have now got DEQ back on but with offset at 15.
The Rosenut colour I went for I thought I’d hate but in a retro kind of way I actually like them!.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom