Monitor Audio silver 50 paired with silver c350

panman40

Distinguished Member
My C150 gets set at a very low 40hz and that's a smaller speaker. Make sure the drivers are tightened using the allen key at the back.
Is that what holds them in ?. Those 4 Allen bolts ?.

panman40

Distinguished Member
My C150 gets set at a very low 40hz and that's a smaller speaker. Make sure the drivers are tightened using the allen key at the back.
How tight are they supposed to be ?. Cheers.

DavidT

How tight are they supposed to be ?. Cheers.
its in the manual but if memory serves me right its tighten the bolts until you feel resistance and then just a quarter turn more.

sm1ggsy

It's brand new, I can feel both drivers vibrating with a light touch of the finger, yes I'm using the Audessy app on an iPad.
I'm in somebody else's thread I think. Is there an MA thread or somewhere else to discuss ?.

At the moment in finding them a little bright in treble area when there's music in films and streaming music compared to my Kefs.
I’ve had new speakers with a wire not fully on, that bright sound calms down after a run in , I turned on cinema eq to soften the high end for a week or so

panman40

Distinguished Member
its in the manual but if memory serves me right its tighten the bolts until you feel resistance and then just a quarter turn more.
Thanks, good job I didn’t just tighten them then !!.

AndreNewman

Another vote of confidence for the C350, excellent center speaker.

I have one with Silver 8's for L&R, Silver 1's for surrounds. All a good tonal match, the 8's match better due to the three way mid driver but tweeters seem to be much the same between the last few generations.

I find the C350 has better crossover phase matching than the Silver 1's and 8's, maybe that is some of the improvement in the newer generation?

I measured some distortion around 60-70Hz with the C350, around 50-55Hz with the Silver 8's so I set crossover at 100Hz and it sounds much cleaner in louder passages.

On the subject of pairing, does anyone know which of the ceiling install speakers are a reasonable match to the Silver range? I was looking at C380-IDC or the CP version, they look like the same tweeters and main driver so hopefully they are similar.

Marshall Mike

Another vote of confidence for the C350, excellent center speaker.

I have one with Silver 8's for L&R, Silver 1's for surrounds. All a good tonal match, the 8's match better due to the three way mid driver but tweeters seem to be much the same between the last few generations.

I find the C350 has better crossover phase matching than the Silver 1's and 8's, maybe that is some of the improvement in the newer generation?

I measured some distortion around 60-70Hz with the C350, around 50-55Hz with the Silver 8's so I set crossover at 100Hz and it sounds much cleaner in louder passages.

On the subject of pairing, does anyone know which of the ceiling install speakers are a reasonable match to the Silver range? I was looking at C380-IDC or the CP version, they look like the same tweeters and main driver so hopefully they are similar.
I think I read the C280-IDC is the equivalent match for the silver range and the C380–IDC is matched to the gold range.

panman40

Distinguished Member
Ok so I did a full 8 position Audyssey this morning very early so it was silent.
I’m sure something is amiss with the C350. Audessy has set it at -9db and 100hz again. If anything a large speaker such as this woukd normally be set at 40-60hz by Audessey.
here are some screenshots of what’s happening.
761F3779-C1BD-4E41-B32E-59F813E6E396.png
1BE4EB8A-F262-4DBD-B76F-623002349DE4.png

DavidT

On a recent 3 position Audyssey run my C350 was set at 90hz crossover and level at -11dB so not much different to yours. This is with Silver 50's at front.

AndreNewman

Ok so I did a full 8 position Audyssey this morning very early so it was silent.
I’m sure something is amiss with the C350. Audessy has set it at -9db and 100hz again. If anything a large speaker such as this woukd normally be set at 40-60hz by Audessey.
It's about what I would expect, in my measurements (in my room of course) I found the C350 response drops off completely below 60Hz and some audible distortion between 60 & 70Hz. I switched to a 100Hz crossover and the audible harshness (at 85dB) is gone.

I suspected my amplifier but a friend's Class D has exactly the same distortion.

I see a similar situation with my Silver 8 mains at 50Hz, they now have the same 100Hz crossover. Nothing wrong with a 100Hz crossover, the speakers need to have significant output at 50Hz for that to work properly.

C-19-ClassT-noDirac.png

panman40

Distinguished Member
Thanks to both of you above for your replys. My previous Kef Q600c also a very large speaker is set at -4.5db and 60hz. An MA c350 I had briefly used but returned also had a 60hz cross over I think.

Can I ask of adjusting any of the levels set ( in the main Audessy settings with test tones) will render Audessy ruined ?. I don't mean adjusting just one speaker volume, what if I increased all speakers by say 3db , would that be ok ?. I realise it's much the same as just increasing the main volume .
Edit, also does anyone bother fine tuning levels at the MLP with a sound meter or best to leave it alone ?, And what about the crossovers set for the other speakers, set them to 80hz ?.
Thanks.

Last edited:

AndreNewman

I know nothing about Audyssey, it's capabilities and quirks so I can't suggest anything.

I only had YPAO and manual eq was better than that, I have Dirac now.

gibbsy

Can I ask of adjusting any of the levels set ( in the main Audessy settings with test tones) will render Audessy ruined ?.
No. You can alter levels and crossovers and these will have no effect on the Audyssey calibration. Safe to change levels to suit your personal preferences.

panman40

Distinguished Member
No. You can alter levels and crossovers and these will have no effect on the Audyssey calibration. Safe to change levels to suit your personal preferences.
Ok thanks, I basically seem to have a lower overall volume now than before, hence thinking of upping all the channels to compensate. I suppose I could use the input source volume but I already have that at +5db.

panman40

Distinguished Member
I know nothing about Audyssey, it's capabilities and quirks so I can't suggest anything.

I only had YPAO and manual eq was better than that, I have Dirac now.
Yes I'm told Dirac is excellent, a new avr isn't on the horizon though!

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
View attachment 1652053View attachment 1652054
Perhaps check the bi amp/wire jumpers in the C350 speaker connections are fully in place. My thinking is if the C350 was getting more high frequency signal than low frequency signal I'd guess Audyssey would see it as having poor bass extension and thus set crossover higher.

If possible I'd also try checking the ends of the centre speaker cable, perhaps remaking them if using screw type banana plugs and cutting off the previous bare wires (may be oxidised).

panman40

Distinguished Member
Perhaps check the bi amp/wire jumpers in the C350 speaker connections are fully in place. My thinking is if the C350 was getting more high frequency signal than low frequency signal I'd guess Audyssey would see it as having poor bass extension and thus set crossover higher.

If possible I'd also try checking the ends of the centre speaker cable, perhaps remaking them if using screw type banana plugs and cutting off the previous bare wires (may be oxidised).
Thanks, I’ve triple checked those and they are fully in place and nice and tight, I also redid the cable end connections as you said, there was no sign of oxidising which was good news.

Jester1066

Thanks, I’ve triple checked those and they are fully in place and nice and tight, I also redid the cable end connections as you said, there was no sign of oxidising which was good news.
Can you post a picture of your LCR -showing their position, relative to your MLP? I'm wondering if it's a placement issue maybe

jonjames

You could call Monitor Audio tech on 01268 798 944 and see what they think?

DavidT

I just run Audyssey on my setup and I now get the C350 at 80hz crossover and -11dB level, I dont think @panman40 levels are that far out.

sm1ggsy

View attachment 1652053View attachment 1652054
There’s absolutely nothing wrong with your levels , your centre is closer to you , 100hz crossovers are fine (you can’t compare both centres there different) there will be loads of people with the wrong crossovers who think I must use 80 , the only way of knowing what correct crossovers for intergraton is to invest in a u-mic1 and REW after all you’ve spent good money on your speakers you want them to sound there best.

DavidT

I can understand the confusion when the C350 is rated 40hz-35khz, you would think the Audyssey measured crossover would be nearer to 40hz than 100hz but the room acoustics clearly have a big effect.

My Silver 50's are 52hz-35khz and Audyssey set the crossover at 60hz.
My surrounds are QA 1010i's rated 68hz-20khz but Audyssey set the crossover at 60hz!

panman40

Distinguished Member
Can you post a picture of your LCR -showing their position, relative to your MLP? I'm wondering if it's a placement issue maybe
I don't think so, it's been this way for years with other speakers, pics from just behind mlp. Ignore the projector image the main lights are on lol.
IMG_20220211_140222.jpg
IMG_20220211_135243.jpg

panman40

Distinguished Member
I can understand the confusion when the C350 is rated 40hz-35khz, you would think the Audyssey measured crossover would be nearer to 40hz than 100hz but the room acoustics clearly have a big effect.

My Silver 50's are 52hz-35khz and Audyssey set the crossover at 60hz.
My surrounds are QA 1010i's rated 68hz-20khz but Audyssey set the crossover at 60hz!
Audyssey set my 50's as 60hz and 40hz!.

panman40

Distinguished Member
There’s absolutely nothing wrong with your levels , your centre is closer to you , 100hz crossovers are fine (you can’t compare both centres there different) there will be loads of people with the wrong crossovers who think I must use 80 , the only way of knowing what correct crossovers for intergraton is to invest in a u-mic1 and REW after all you’ve spent good money on your speakers you want them to sound there best.
I'll leave it at 100hz for now, as for rew I don't think I could get my head around that !. I'd pay to have it done though.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

ASUS unveils new 4K OLED gaming monitors
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Disney+ confirms price increases coming in December
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung unveils Galaxy Z Flip 4 and Fold 4 smartphones
  • By Ian Collen