1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor Audio S8 or JM lab cobalt 815 or cobalt 820?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ximen, Apr 20, 2005.

1. ximen

ximen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to buy a pair of used speakers as I have very limited budget. I found some deals on those used speakers over internet. The cobalt 815 is $100 more than S8 and cobalt 820 is $150 more than 815. So perform wise, which one is best performer for music? Price wise, which one is the best bang for the buck? I also looked into MA silver 8i which is cheaper than S8. I know the s8 is newer model. Is there big difference between 8i and s8? Another option could be PSB sivler i which is about same price as cobalt 820.
    I am going to use arcam avr-200 to power them
    Any comment is appreciated.

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I havent had any experiance with cobalt but have heard the MA silver seires against money speakers in there price range and i think they are the best value for money and performance is top rate.

3. ximen

ximen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about the silver 8i and s8. Is there big difference between them? Thanks

4. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    both are highly rated but I have never heard the older silver series. but I do i know the current range are fantastic in looks and performance they have a highly detailed punchy sound with nice tight bass thanks to the metal drivers and gold dome tweeter which extends very high.

5. ximen

ximen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any other opinion? Thanks

6. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    All are excellent speakers. I haven't heard the 8i's and 8's together but i have heard them individually. Used to have some s6's which were superb value for money.
    The cobalt series are very good build quality they use a different tweeter arrangement than most manufacturers. I found them to be a very detailed and offereing good dynamics perhaps lacking a little weight in the bass department. The s8's loose out slightly on the detail but have more weight in the bass.
    A lot depends on the amps and source. But the bottom line is I'm afraid you can't decide how good they sound untill you hear them in your own home.....