Monitor Audio S6 or B6 floorstanders

DFL

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm slowly building my AV system. I have a Marantz SR 4300 and DV4500 & Panasonic 37PV500 on its way.

I was at my local HiFi store in Dublin which is sister-linked to Richersounds Belfast and was tempted to buy the Monitor Audio Silver S6 floorstanders. I've seen them going for 399 GBP at HiFiBitz, but Richersounds/Xmusic Dublin are selling for a lot more at 549 GBP. But the Bronze B6 are available at a cool 399 GBP from Xmusic. The funny thing is the B6 are 450 at HiFiBitz and are rated as a more superior speaker. (there is an option to see the next model up or down next to items and they have the B6 above the S6). This is the heart of my question, because I realy want a pair of nice floorstanders and the best value for money and appropiate for my room.

(My room is 18 feet by 12 feet, but I suspect I will only have the speakers about 9 feet apart.)

My question is should I go for the award winning svelte S6 or bigger and heartier B6. The blurb talks about the B6 filling large rooms with sound (which I don't have) and some forum members have mentioned the S6 have too much bass. My gut feeling is go for the S6 since the silver has higher grade components, but they are only available at the higher price of 549 to me, unless I order on the web and pay a heft delivery charge to Dublin.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated

Well, the more i think about this, the more I feel I should spend the extra cash on the Silver S6 Floorstanders. They are a smaller speaker and will probably suit my room more. The B6's hardly get a mention in this forum and at least there is good feedback on the silvers.

If only money was no object! Maybe instead of building an av system slowly I should go for Bronze B4's, bronze centre and a sub straight away. I'm not the only one who toils endlessly on these forums waiting for divine intervention on how to spend a tight budget am I? Maybe a Marantz SR4300 doesn't warrant the silver series speakers.? is the answer still 42 to everything?

Hi Darren,

If it were my money i would definitly get the S6's they are a beautiful sounding speaker, very smooth top end and quite a powerful sounding bass for there size.

Regards
John

thanks for the reply recruit. But as i trawl through the net and this forum on instead of enjoying this beautiful Sunday afternoon I have come across forum members extolling the wonderous virtues of the MA Radius range. I noticed that the other MA range centre speakers are quite large, would the Radius 225 or 180 match the very beautiful S6's? Should i now be considering the floorstanding radius R270, which are reasonably priced right now... decisions, decisions. Thanks

I have never heard the Radius range but they are supposed to be quite good, i suppose the only way to decide is to have a listen to them and judge for yourself.
I owned the S6's and they were so much better than my previous B&W 602.5's & 603 series speakers.

Happy demoing :)

John

Darren Lui said:
The funny thing is the B6 are 450 at HiFiBitz and are rated as a more superior speaker. (there is an option to see the next model up or down next to items and they have the B6 above the S6).

That's not a superiority rating, it's a price rating. The S series are a particularly good buy at the moment, as they have been superseded by the acoustically identical but cosmetically different RS series, and the remaining stock is heavily discounted. That's why the Silver is cheaper than the Bronze.

Yes the Silver series is substantially better than the Bronze series and well worth the money.

recruit said:
Yes the Silver series is substantially better than the Bronze series and well worth the money.

Have to agree.

I just pickled up a pair of S8s (£450 + 2 year warranty) from sevenoaks and the fit and finish is excellent compared the Bronze range. Throw in a better sound and the silvers walk it.

AnilS.

So if Richersounds Ireland are selling the S6 at 800 Euros and the Radius 270 at 570 Euro, and they sound identical it would make sense to go for the Radius 270?

Thank you for steering me in the right direction guys, its much appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom